"Zombie" like apocalypse could happen?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Noobicus_Maximus, Apr 13, 2016.

1. There is a parasite called toxoplasmosa gondii. This terrifying little bug infects rats, but it can only reproduce inside the intestines of a cat, so it evolved a nifty little trick wherein it actually takes over the rat’s brain and compels it to hang out around cats. Naturally, the cat eats the rat. The cat is happy. The parasite is happy because it gets to reproduce in the cat’s intestines. The rat? Not so happy, one would suppose. Why should we care about unhappy rats? Because rats and humans are actually very similar, which is why we conduct so many medical experiments on rats. And humans are infected with the toxoplasmosa gondii parasite. About half the population of the Earth, in fact. Countries like France have reported as high as 84% of their population have it. Now it so happens that toxoplasmosa gondii does not affect humans the way it does rats. But what if it did? Viruses mutate. Viruses are manipulated in bio-weapons laboratories. Suddenly half the population would have no instinct for self-preservation. Half the population unable to think in a rational manner. Half the population suddenly very much resembling zombies. Nah. Couldn’t happen. Could it?

2. How long until you make another awesome thread?

3. How long until you post another awesome GIF?

4. Is that why I felt compelled to get a cat?

5. Kinda like your wall best idea ever thread, an idea thats been suggested about 20 times already. Nice creativity.

Love all the love i get u from you on my threads, someone has a crush on me

6. If it did happen I don't think it would happen the way it does in every show we have all watched. I come to this conclusion based on 1 very important constant in all movies. I thank FTWD for showing this too.

In every show movie no one, not a single person has any clue of what is happening. It's almost as if there was never a single mention in history, no kirkman, no though of what a zombie is. Further showing it takes awhile before they figure out how to put them down for good.

If it happened now, I'm going to assume, baseball bats and crossbow sales will sky rocket very quickly and the problem will be dealt with.

8. OP got it wrong twice. The first is that the rat LOVES the scent of cat wee (I've read somewhere that they find it arousing), and second they become fearless. Then you said that viruses mutate. While being true, the fault is is that you are referring to parasite here, as said by yourself. Unfortuneatly for your zombie apocalypse theory, while being similare to humans, the rat's brain is not similar enough for us to feel the same effect. Even if we did, the effects would be more similar to "the happening" than to "world war z".

9. Google the parasite, the parasite is actually what causes rats to go near cats, they are speculating that the parasite actually makes the rat attracted to the scent of cat pee so it will go near

10. Sorry for the bad wording, but I meant thats what happened when the parasite got into the rats brain... I wish this never happens to my pet rats :cry:

11. no... There is no such word as patato. Doesn't exist. You can't compare something to nothing

12. The idea of scrolling on our own walls shouldn't even have to be introduced, it should already be an option. I can't think of any reason why we can't look back at our walls. >_<

Prime is right though- it's the best idea ever. :p

Oh and on the topic, it wouldn't matter if it did and we were drawn to cats because of this. Our risk of being near cats aren't equal to the risk of rats being near cats.

13. We already are Zombies by some definitions

14. Viruses have a much shorter life time than parasites, thus mutate faster

15. So what you're telling me is that I shouldn't allow my cat to kill and eat me?

16. Since when was Wikipedia a trustworthy source.....

17. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmo ... /faqs.html

Please do your research before sensationalizing over a disease that only effects those whom are autoimmune compromised such as children babies and pregnant women.

I would also like to point out that the parasite<---
    Causes toxoplasmosis which in turn causes the slight mild symptoms that are hardly a case for alarm.

I would also like to point out that your information source is Wikipedia, and that the most common way to contract the disease is not through contact with cats, rather, with ingestion of undercooked or ill prepared meat.

18. Not this old chest nut again... Also, it took about 5 hours Scrap, my bad homie...