Your opinions on the verdict.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iDeception, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Just to clarify, execution is usually a far more expensive process than life in prison, and the death penalty is not a deterrent to ideologues who are willing to kill and die for a cause (or really anyone who is willing to commit the types of crimes that garner the death penalty). In fact, ideologues would usually rather be executed to further demonstrate their devotion to a cause.

I would rather he not be made into a martyr. But I would support a death sentence if the families he injured needed it for closure. As long as the execution is done for them and not out of some misguided economic or fake deterrence reasoning.

2. Well auctually the death it's self is only 90$ (rounding up) While a single year in prison is 90 thousand. Keeping him in prison for 56.8 years (Avg incarcerated life expectancy-his age) times 90 thousands is 5.112 MILLION. Even with the more experience trial, in this case the death penalty is saving a lot of money.

3. This thread is a good reason why most people here wouldn't make good lawyers.
    Emotions will interfere, they always will, but there's a time and a place to think rationally... And I think it's rational that, from the amount of people killed, his own free will of doing as such, and the people permanently injured, he should get the death penalty.
    He's most likely not regretting anything. If we treat the Boston Marathon like 9/11, all he'll get is satisfaction that what he did was rememberable, that he'll go down in history. I'm pretty sure the point of life in prison isn't for satisfaction, it's for punishment.

Wow, I'd make a horrible lawyer too. Hypocrisy :D

4. [/quote]
    No, it isn't.

“It’s 10 times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive,”says Donald McCartin, known as The Hanging Judge of Orange County. McCartin knows a little bit about executions: he has sent nine men to death row."

"McCartin isn’t talking about the comparisons between the cost of the actual execution and the cost of keeping an inmate in prison: those aren’t apples to apples comparisons. It’s true that the actual execution costs taxpayers fairly little . . . . However, the outside costs associated with the death penalty are disproportionately higher."

These outside costs include the disproportionate legal fees, administrative costs, and appeals, as well as the highly increased cost of maintaining a prisoner on death row (which is where the $90k a year figure comes in - as an addition to the usual $30k to $60k per year).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphilli ... s-at-work/

Even studies by Fox have agreed that the death penalty incurs much higher costs:

"An Urban Institute study of Maryland's experience with the death penalty found that a single death-penalty trial cost $1.9 million more than a non-death-penalty trial. Since 1978, the cost to taxpayers for the five executions the state carried out was $37.2 million dollars — each."

Minsker said just keeping prisoners on death row costs $90,000 more per prisoner per year than regular confinement, because the inmates are housed in single rooms and the prisons are staffed with extra guards. That money alone would cut $63 million from the state budget. But other savings would ripple through every step of the criminal justice system as well, from court costs to subsidized spending for defense attorney and investigation expenses."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/27/ju ... e-budgets/

In short, there are arguments that
    can be made for the death penalty, just not economic ones.

5. Skip death row, shoot them, cremate them.
    If they are willing to kill like animals, they are able to die like them.

6. while were on the subject of the death penalty i just looked up that utah had the firing squad up until 2004 but 3 death row inmates that got their verdict before the ban will still be executed by firing squad. the last execution by firing squad was in 2010 in utah

7. Anyone who comes to American soil and maliciously hurts or kills an American is a no brainer, Death Sentence, No Appeals, let them make one phone call then execute.

8. I do not support the death penalty. The Judicial system in america is severely flawed and for that reason only, I'm against capital punishment.

9. 13 game now.

10. Elaborate. Why don't you agree with the death penalty?
    Do you not agree that those who kill should be killed? How else will they be punished for their actions?

11. The majority of criminal cases in the United States involve those without finiancial means to defend themselves. Usually court appointed attorneys are provided. The public defenders case loads are barely managable and to properly defend a accusd individual involves many hours of reaearch and invistigation. Unfortunately public defenders do what they can but its not enough. Now compare that too the prosecution who have almost limitless resources to try a case.

Like i stated until there is a level field in regards to the judicial system. I can not support the death penalty. Im not saying certain convicted individual dont deserve it and with reform i would be ok with capital punishment.

12. ML_Castiel_ML, if you get a chance take a look at The Innocences Project. They have some good information about Judicial reforms.

http://www.innocenceproject.org

Sorry got off topic a little. ️

13. Here some interesting statistics (09/2014):

Average cost of an execution of a condemned, from charge to execution in Texas: 1.200.000$

Average cost of prosecution and 40 year long imprisonment of someone in Texas: 696.500$

I'm not a fan of capital punishment but well, I honestly wouldn't go as far and tell you that this criminal doesn't deserve it. Showing zero remorse and pleading guilty, tough defense...

Defending capital punishment for economic reasons is sick (well, and proven to be totally wrong anyway), as well as it doesn't act as deterrent for those crimes either. If it brings any closure to victims' families, so be it.

How many mistrials have there been though, and innocents on death row? Conflicts of interests, human error and so on will always exist and an execution is very difficult to be undone...

14. Massachusetts doesn't believe in the death penalty

15. Use the iron boot

16. I don't really care about what happens to that guy.

What I care about is what legislation is passed to prevent this from happening again

17. Why give him the chance of being sentenced to death? That's too nice. Him sitting in prison rotting away for the rest of his life is worse than being sentenced to death.

18. Prevent what? The act or the trial? Criminals usually don't follow the law anyways

19. im with this guy on that 

20. Opinion on a verdict? Nonsense.
    Is this a vote or debate on the Death penalty?
    My opinion is off base..keep news of this nature out of a global game. Keep it light.