Trump's Big Ban

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The_Big_Bang_Theory, Jan 29, 2017.

1. So, Trump finally got the big crowds he wanted. Unfortunately for him, they were crowds protesting his new Muslim ban. Yes, I know, Mr. Trump isn't calling it that, not does it ban all Muslims, but Mr. Trump doesn't get to decide what people call it and banning Muslims is exactly what it does. Besides, If Donald didn't want people calling it a Muslim ban he probably shouldn't have publicly stated that was his goal:

7 December 2015
    Donald Trump calls for complete ban on Muslims entering the US
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... e-us-video

Nor should he have included a clause in his order to "prioritize refugee claims made by individuals on the basis of religious-based persecution, provided that the religion of the individual is a minority religion in the individual's country of nationality." that according to Donald himself will put Christians at the head of the refugee line:

Brody File Exclusive: President Trump Says Persecuted Christians Will Be Given Priority As Refugees
    http://www1.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/archiv ... s-refugees

So yes, it's a ban on Muslims. But only Muslims from countries that Trump doesn't have any business interests in. Despite the fact that Trump's order mentioned 9/11 twice, the 9/11 hijackers were mostly Saudis, and the Congress recently overrode a veto in order to let people sue the Saudi government over 9/11, Saudi Arabia was not included on the list of countries whose citizens are banned from traveling to the United States. Neither was Pakistan, a country with a significant terrorist population. Trump has financial ties to both those countries, and keeping America safe apparently takes a back seat to Donald's profit margin. Not that Trump's ban will keep Americans safe at all. It actually has the opposite effect:

Trump Refugee Order Dashes Hopes of Iraqis Who Helped the U.S.
    http://fortune.com/2017/01/28/trump-ref ... anslators/

Good luck trying to find people to help us the next time we send in troops. You've just told the world our word is no good. And we don't like Muslims.

But let's be honest here. This was never about making America safer. Since 9/11, home-grown white supremacists and similar extremists have killed more Americans in the US than all Islamic extremists, American or non-American, put together. If making America safer is supposedly your goal, you should probably start with our own home grown idiots. It's not. It's about Islamophobia. It's about bigotry and racism. It’s a Muslim-ban lite, dressed up in non-religious language to avoid legal challenges and political fallout. The bottom line is America is now officially being ran by a bunch of ignorant bigots.

2. They're not ignorant
    They know exactly what they are doing

3. @ Quig

That's the kind of rational, well thought out response I've come to expect from Trump supporters.
    (Yes, I'm mocking you)

@ Dylacer

One can know exactly what one trying to do and still be ignorant. The thing that amuses me is how they try to hide what they really are. It's like they almost have a sense of shame.

4. Screw it Im gonna have to leave this thread now. I cant let you libs get me going with the racebaiting, religion baiting, bull crap.

5. I am opposed to Trump and many of his policies, however people like yourself are the cause of this surge in global populism.

The patronization present in politically correct society alienated many. Primarily poor white Americans. This allowed demagogues such as Trump, Le Pen and Nigel Farage to rise to prominence.

Endless protests will only end negatively for both sides. America is divided enough as it is.

6. ig·no·rant
    ˈiɡnərənt/
    adjective
    lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.

informal
    discourteous or rude.

If you're going for slang, I guess it fits. But I like keeping my ignorants formal.

7. Where did my previous post go. Can mods or OP delete replys? What in the actual hell!

Whoever does that step forward and explain. If OP is able to spew this crap into our forum we should be able to respond to it appropriately as long as no words are bypassed. Which I did not. So where is my first reply.

8. The only reason it was removed was because you self censored in it, which is another form of bypassing.

9. Translation: There's no way I can defend any of this without sounding like a bigot.

10. Ty mei. Im out. OP you sound like an idiot. I dont argue with idiots.

11. Zero stats

Zero battles won

Op created an account for the sole purpose of posting anti-president and anti-American threads on a phone app

Illuminati confirmed

The refugees are supposed to be women and children, yet 70% are men under 35 years old

They aren't refugees they're soldiers going off to war, look at Germany the massive increase in crime, in France the government is telling women that they can't go out

Every country that lets these soldiers in are getting wrecked and the taxpayers are funding the whole thing

They get free housing, free money, and meanwhile the normal homeless people are still homeless people

12. Grow up, bigot just means you're intolerant of someone else's opinion. Almost everyone is a bigot; it's borderline impossible not to be.

13. @ -Pipe-

When I was younger, we didn't call it "political correctness". We just called it good manners. Society considered it shameful to insult or disparage people simply because of their race or religion. It's still shameful now. That's why so many people try to hide it under the blanket of "political correctness". And I don't care if alienates poor white Americans. They aren't the only Americans.

America has always been divided. It's not a new phenomena and I'm not about to start going along simply to get along. Especially on issues like these.

@ Dylacer

I like keeping ignorants out of public office and as far away from the nuclear codes as possible.

14. Suffice to say many evil things are done out of good intent.

For America banking a clearly hostile force ( perceived as Muslims by trump ) is easy and a crowd pleaser with the majority, the minority will protest. But their cries will fall silent over time.

The next Muslim terror attack will justify his stance. Be grateful that didn't happen during the first protest.
    That is what's wanted.

But to simple folk. Girls in bikinis don't go around blowing themselves up.
    Girls that cover up support extremism.

I didn't say they were right. But it's an easy play to make.

Far easier than tackling 35,000 guns deaths a year at home. 5000 black on black murders and black lives matter. And a call for gun bans that would invoke a second civil war.

Trump is not ignorant. He is playing a good tactical political game.
    He takes easy victories and distracts from hard wins.

All he needs is to maintain control. And a few well placed risk that back up His perception will seal his authority and the divisions.
    At the end of the day. If you cannot integrate with the society in the country you choose to live in. Don't live there.
    You will be played. Marginalised and turned into a victim.

Popular image will win. The easy victim will fall.
    And the manipulator will win because you play his game.

Just expect more easy targets and distractions.
    But don't think they are ignorant.
    They are players pure and simple

15. Definition of bigot

a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

And no, it's not borderline impossible not to be a bigot. That's the paradox of tolerance, or, "If you don't tolerate my intolerance, you're intolerant" routine. There are many opinions I don't agree with that I tolerate.

16. OP, it's commendable that in your opening remarks you recognise that the Executive Order is not in fact a ban on Muslims entering the United States; yet you then persist in labelling it a "Muslim" ban without the use of quotations to denote the label as inaccurate. This is intellectually dishonest, but consistent with the defensive reaction of Islamic interest group that re-frame the narrative of events to present Islam itself as the victim.

Je Suis Ahmed, for example, used support for free speech as a preamble to dig at those who mocked Islam.

You're not alone in calling the Executive Order a "Muslim" ban, and again it's not surprising that the opposition to this has been highly vocal, highly biased, and selective in facts to suit the agenda of Islamic groups.

By blinding adding to their outrage the opponents to the Executive Order are in fact being used.

The Executive Order itself only targets a small number of countries that are closely linked to violent Jihad-ism; as noted it does not target the most populous Muslim-majority countries; it does not target a majority of Muslim-majority countries; and it certainly does not target all Muslims.

To label the Executive Order as a Muslim ban is therefore an exaggeration, but not an innocent one. In your zeal to be "right-on" as a SJW your over-reaction is directly responsible for inciting hatred and Anglophobia.

I read a comment on a social-media platform on this subject that basically read: "you can spin this anyway your want to, as far as I am concerned this is a ban on Muslims and discrimination", perhaps you agree with that.

I thought it was quite telling because the author didn't recognise his own prejudice in ascribing outcomes way beyond the actual event, and presenting speculation of further "lists" and "bans" as a given.

You're right that Trump doesn't get to decide what his opponents label this as, but as it is clearly a label please kindly remember to use the English language correctly to denote your labels.

As for the merits of the Executive Order itself, well I've been reading that it was in fact Obama who created the list that you refer to, and I also read that Israel has a travel ban on citizens from 16 countries. No one seems to care about such inconvenient facts, so I'm sometimes left wondering: are we really debating the same issue of a sovereign country placing travel restrictions on people that other countries also have, or are we merely enabling Islamic propaganda in their widening cause of global victim-hood.

17. That paradox is illogical, as all it is is disagreement. It's not a paradox. Almost everyone is a bigot one way or another.

18. I'd rather shove the facts up your ass, quig.

Countries with citizens involved in 9/11: Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Lebanon
    Countries Trump banned: Iraq, Libya, Yemen, Sudan, Iran, Somalia, Syria

How does this make America safer?