The War on Drugs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GoldenTroll, Aug 29, 2016.

1. The War on Drugs

This is an argument thread, it is not for the easily offended.

Seeing as the only political "Debate" threads you see now are about Tronald Dump and other boring current events, I figured I would bring up a more interesting conversation, yes even more interesting than the downfall of the United States.

This IS a "debate thread" but I would like to state some statistics and numbers regarding The War on Drugs.

In 1971 President Richard Nixon declared war on drugs. He proclaimed

The number of people behind bars for nonviolent drug law offenses increased from 50,000 in 1980 to over 400,000 by 1997. And as of 2011 we have 2.2 Million people incarcerated in the US, over 50% of them were due to drug law offenses

82% of all drug arrests are for possession only.

In this year alone we have spent $27,078,653,253, since 1971 we have spent over 1 trillion on this expensive failure. so surely we can expect a high success rate, right?

If we legalized and then taxed illegal drugs at the same level as alcohol and tobacco, we could make $46.7 billion a year in tax revenues. that's just under 2X as much as we spend.

If there is one thing we've learned from the drug war and the alcohol prohibition, it's that people like getting drunk/high. No amount of laws has ever slowed down or halted demand for illegal drugs, or alcohol. It has simply made things more dangerous for the consumer, and even other citizens. (i.e. gang violence)

When someone is incarcerated for drug possession, when they have served their sentence it is extremely difficult to get a job whilst having that on your record, they are more likely to turn to crime.

To be fair, I am against drug use, but I accept the drug war as a failure, morally, financially, in many ways it is a failure. But treatment is the answer, not incarceration. The drug war has ruined more lives than drugs ever have, and ever will.

For anyone who made it through that, what are your opinions on the drug war? Is it moral? or financially feasible? Or do believe in only specific drugs being legalized? let me know what you think. 420 blaze it

P.S. If anybody has any questions or concerns about my numbers/statistics, feel free to ask or harass.

I will also try to update this often, there are many more statistics out there that prove how much of a scam the drug was is, I simply didn't have time to do it all at once.

2. Drug war = a great scam

Turning a public health issue into a criminal issue is a crime against humanity.

3. The downfall of the United States lmfao. We are still a world power even though we have the idiot called Obama. Atleast Donald trump will stand up to anyone. If Clinton becomes in office it will be another 4 years of Obama. So it's worth a shot to see what trump does. It can't get any worse than what we got now. As for the war on drugs good luck all the drugs come from different countries the only thing weed doesn't get imported maybe some does. The main thing drug issue that there is a major problem with is cocaine, heroin, x, ect..... The harder drugs. Weed is not to bad as long as it's treated like drinking and driving.

4. ...

Bruh

You stupid

5. I'd have to say I agree. Also Obama is a coward and it's pathetic that he's our president two terms in a row.

6. President finally starts to get America back on track

Hated

Bruh, Obama has been a fairly decent president when you look at it, much better than Reagan and Bush (both were bad)

7. Ive always envied Hitler for his ability to rally the people. Cant wait for Hitler 2.0 to get out there and show the world real American Power.

*sips coffee*

Trump is going to get Americas economy back on track by getting Americans back into the workforce building camps....For Summer activities...

8. Obama recently communed the sentences of over 500 imates mostly charged with drug possession. Reducing life sentences and other sentences of over 20 years for imates charged with just for possession.

So yea. Obama seems to have gotten something done. Only thing Bush has accomplised is deploy our Boys overseas and get alot of em killed.

9. I'm going to have to ask that you keep the thread on the topic of drugs.

I stated that this was not a Trump thread.

10. Sorry OP.

I have a mate in the DEA. Although most of DEA duties is preventing drugs from entering the states and capping Large shipments.

Most of thr arrests of small dealers and possession charges are local coppers doing their thing. Although I have dislike for the drug trade. A life sentence shouldnt be given to people arrested with not even an ounce of crack on them.

11. Personally. Although Ill never smoke it. I think weed should be legal just dont blow it into my face.

Crack, Meth , Opium , Herione etc etc these drugs should be illegal however. My mother was addicted to crack and that lead me to be taken into state custody where i endured toture by my Catholic care takers. In any case these hard drugs ruin lives and leave a person in a crippling addiction.

12. I like the gif, but, correct me if I am wrong my American brethren, but is the drug war not raged external to US borders on some occasions? I am no well read in American history.

For example, would some of that cost go to supporting other nations by equipping them for joint operations and tasks?

To which point, is the graph on US addiction actually relating the full interrelation between spending and addiction?

13. I think all drugs are dangerous to some extent, many more dangerous than others, but we shouldn't be "Saving people from themselves" by incarceration, instead we should offer them care, but ONLY for addicts, drug abuse is different from drug use, and we should be treating drug abusers, not users.

14. I'm not sure what you're asking me exactly, the blue represents drug addiction, and the green represents the amount we've expended to fund the War on drugs. Now what you're saying about spending money to equip other nations, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

15. Any addiction can be harmful, not just a drug addiction. Treatment centres have shown to have a much better effect than taking guns and passing laws.

16. DEA does have ongoing operations outside the US. From Cuba to South American all the way to China.

17. No doubt. Studies have shown that treatment is far more effective than incarceration.

18. Fight Codeine

19. The DEA just stated that they are going to retain MJ as a class A narcotic on the same level as heroine.

I'm not saying that smoking weed is good for you, or that anyone should do it, but it should in fact be a choice. Phelps also would doubtfully be competing successfully if he had been using any of the other "class A narcotic"...

MJ poses so many ways of advancement, if you think outside the bong. We could use it for paper, concrete, etc. there are so so many uses of hemp, hemp oil, and MJ its self.

Little known information: The U.S. Government did extensive studies back in the day, and came to the conclusion that MJ had no significant medical applications worth pursuing. A little digging brings up that the only institution with a medical patent on MJ is in fact, the U.S. government. That doesn't mix with the statement they made.