The Silence

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Bad-Advice, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Hello! It has been a while, KaW. I used to be very active. From what I see, people like Troll are still annoying as ever. So, anyways, I haven't posted in FF before, and wanted to test the waters. Also, I have been writing a bit, and thought "Why not?" So, here I am. Please, if you have any tips or suggestions, do tell me.

PROLOGUE

Sade walked up the marble steps to the palace. It was a great sight to behold, with towering, snow white pillars and bright gold lacing. As he walked through the great oak doors, he was surprised to hear voices from the throne room. Sade had never heard anything coming from the throne room because the four kingdoms were almost always at war. He could hear shouts coming through the door, but he couldn’t investigate, for fear he would be late to the stocks.

Little did he know, that day would be one of the last of peace, and what he heard was the saviors of Earth making a final push to save the world.

Chapter I
    Fraz loved his life, working as a nurse in the med center, strolling through the neighboring forests, walking through the Gardens.

But he’d been having nightmares.

They were dreadful, with him being chased through the town by the Silence, yet nobody seemed to notice. So he prepared. He packed a bag, with the necessities for survival. A canteen, dry clothes, daggers, a sword, and other items. Everybody else has been doing the same. They were having nightmares, too.

The king had sent troops to every village in the kingdom, and militias were formed. Fraz doubted the Silence would ever reach his town, because the king’s men were waging constant war.

Fraz went about his daily business, healing the sick, fixing the broken, picking up bread from the bakery. He went to bed feeling safe and secure.

Fraz awoke the next morning, without nightmares. He walked around still stiff from wakening, and drenched in sweat. He went to bathe in the river that meandered behind his house, just past a small ditch where the snakes nested. He had built a footbridge over it years ago. His house was low, maybe seven feet tall, and one story, but wide. It had four rooms; a bedroom, a guest bedroom, a kitchen, and a supper room. It was beautifully decorated, with trinkets he had found. His favorite room, the kitchen, had a wide, double pantry, filled with baked goods and pickled delicacies. His bedroom was painted in a smooth, delicate brown, with a rare mahogany bed set. The guest room was very plain, painted in the same smooth brown. The supper room had a nice oak table, with two chairs he had made himself, and a beautiful vase of gold and purple flowers. In the corner, there was an old chair that he drank his tea in every morning, which preceded his daily bath.

He brought a towel and his fresh soap down to the river. It was his favorite time of day, bathing in the river. He loved feeling the gentle current pour against his skin, washing away the grit of days past, now staring at the hawk hovering above in the fluorescent blue sky. After his bath, he went back to his house and got ready for work. He put on his apron and grabbed his medical case from in his closet. He walked along the dusty, unpaved roads to the square building he called his office.

There was little work that day, just a few children with scraped knees from horse play. He headed home and fixed a supper of venison roast he had picked up earlier that morning, bread, and bit of butter, along with a shot of a strong gin. He became drowsy and went to bed, sinking into the darkness of sleep.

He had nightmares that night.

Chapter II
    Fraz awoke to the clatter of metal and the shouts of war. He had a shallow, tense sleep, full of nightmares. He had prepared for this, the day the Silence came, but he had never believed it would actually happen. The Silence, terrible creatures, with alabaster skin, wide, quadrilateral mouths, with rows of jagged teeth, and gruesome hands, which boasted three large, sharp fingers, wanting only to devour worlds, had attacked. He could hear the mindless chanting of “The Silence will fall.”

Fraz grabbed, with groggy eyes, his bag and sprinted out the door, away from the massacre, the destruction of his beloved town, the ensuing terror, on toward the glistening mountains. He remembered the days he spent here, walking along the stream, through fields of lush, vibrant grass, strolling through the Gardens before it all faded and he resumed his terrified run. He was afraid, but to stop would mean certain death by the hands of the Silence.

On he ran, away from the shouts of women and children, for distances he didn’t know possible. Fraz looked behind and saw the carnage unfolding. Houses amidst flames, men fighting hopelessly an uphill battle. Fraz knew that he must go on, for fear of death.

As he escaped, he was not concentrating on the ground. He stumbled and fell in a gopher hole, about 2 feet deep. He could hear a sharp crack. Fraz knew immediately that it was broken. The pain shot up through him. spreading from his legs up. But something worse was awaiting him: one of the Silence was making straight for him. Quickly, he pulled his small sword from the sack and got to his feet.

He ignored the pain. In agony, he held the sword at arms length. Just before the creature struck, he swung and cleaved its hand straight off. The creature roared in anger, which gave Fraz time to jab it right through the heart. Blood splurted out, as he had sliced several arteries. The researchers at his town had brought in a few bodies, and given Fraz a chance to study them. He left the sword in its body, and scampered away as fast as he could.

As soon as he made it a fair distance, he tore one of his shirts, and tied a loose knot around his leg. Fraz then took a nearby twig and slipped it through the knot. He then wound several ropes from the tall grass, and secured the makeshift brace to his leg. Fraz then stumbled off to the distant mountains.

For days he trekked, drinking from the Chanobi springs. He pulled up wild onions as he went, and made some sorts of stew with the onions and the sweet fruit of some nearby bush. He looked back, and could no longer see his home, only a column of smoke rising above the hills. He was alone. Fraz was certain he was the last survivor from the village of Ponshire. Already, he yearned for the comfort of his feather bed, for the crisp air in the Gardens, and most of all, for his beloved Ash tree, under which he spent many a starry night.

Finally, he had reached the Glistees mountains. It was very brisk, so he pulled on his soft, wool overcoat he made himself. He had already gone far into the dark, snow covered stones. He could not turn back now. Fraz began the search for a suitable crevice to sleep in. Up ahead, he could see what looked like a small, but empty, cave. But as he grew near, he noticed a small prick of light shining out from it. And he heard voices.

Fraz retrieved the small, plain dagger from his sack. He knew he should get away from the cave, as fast as he could, but he couldn’t. The warm fire, the voices, the possibility of slumber, drew him in.

As he came closer to the cave, he could begin to hear snippets of a conversation. “ Silence...leave at dawn... now or never,” the voices said. But he also noticed something else: the accent. It was from the northern region of Skyle, where the snow elves live.

Fraz plotted about whether or not to reveal himself, but his decision was made quickly-he would show himself.

“Please, do not be alarmed. I am Fraz Trikes, from the town of Ponshire, of the kingdom of New Shire.”

In a heartbeat, Fraz was thrown to the ground by several stout, but incredibly strong men. “Casi, come quickly!” one of the men shouted.
    He noticed one of them had not even stood to greet him. This particular man had incredibly long hair, and carried a great double sword. He wore a fur overcoat, and had a sash with several daggers across his chest. He stood and turned to Fraz.

“Release him. He has been driven out, just as we have. He is our brother now,” the man announced.

Immediately, they let go of Fraz. He could count nine, discluding himself.
    The same man, apparently the leader spoke again, “Come warm by our fire. We are just as you. I am Casi Everflame, and I am the leader of this group. We have been driven out several months ago by the Silence from our homeland of Lakro, just as you. We have vowed to protect the Earth, and would like to request your help on our journey.”

“Several months? The attacks have only been going on 5 weeks,” Fraz told Casi, in a hoarse voice. Casi told him, “No, they have been going on for years. They have only now reached us, leaving a path of destruction in their wake.”

One of the smallest, and oldest, of the nine said, “Well, I believe that now you are stuck with us, it would only be right to introduce ourselves. I am Rancer, of the clan of Orion, and I am the resident cook.”

“Well... a cook is overstating his skill,” said a stout, pudgy one. The old man just mumbled on.

A fat, round man introduced himself as Traw, while a large, muscular man was introduced as Krale. The largest, but most lean of them all, identified as Barsa, while the remaining four, a bunch of brothers were named Shaw, Krast, Terf, and Jusher.

They all invited him to the fire, and explained their goal. They were to find the last Great sword, forged by the four kings hundreds of years ago.

“I thought the Great sword was just a childhood tale,” said Fraz.
    “It is not. It was created as a last haven for the world, a final hope of the Earth. It is said strike down anyone in a single blow. With this sword, we could lead a rebellion against the Silence,” Casi said.

“You are fools!” Fraz exclaimed. “It is not possible to find this sword, even if it did exist.” “Believe what you wish,” spoke Casi. “But for now, we must rest. We leave at midday tomorrow.”

Chapter III

It was a restless night. Fraz stayed awake, wondering whether or not to trust these men. They were chasing a myth. But his decision was made for him, as they packed up what little belongings they had, and set out, moving towards the Great Grasslands, which would hold suitable food for them.

That day, they had not gone far before being attacked by a small group of Prim elves. These elves were cut off from the rest of the land, and lived in whatever caves they could find. The little beings were no match for the force of the ten men. The battle was over in minutes.

The next day was largely uneventful. They continued their march, stopping for short breaks every few hours. They found an overhang to sleep under, and as they sat around the fire, Fraz asked who they were.

“We are the Warriors of Krazule. We have been entrusted with the lives of thousands, and we are attempting to fulfill our duties. That is all you must know.”

Fraz pondered this as he went to sleep that night. Were they actually who they said they are, or was there more to it? But soon, he drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, Fraz awoke to a great commotion. “Get out, now!”
    He followed the rush of men out the door. “Here, take this!” Casi yelled as he pressed and axe to Fraz’s chest.

Suddenly, a very large bear leaped out of the cave. All the men, Fraz included, swarmed to bring it down. It fought them all fiercely, but the bear could not fight off ten men. It fell easily.

“Well, at least we have fresh meat,” the old cook said. “I’ve been cut!” he heard the pudgy one, Traw, say. It was a small gash, which Fraz bandaged easily.

After they calmed down, they skinned the bear and took the meat and fur. Fraz went back inside to collect his belongings, and they soon set out again.

After three uneventful and dreary days, the finally made it to the grasslands. They found a clear spot to set up camp. Several men set out to find nuts, berries, and game to eat that night. Fraz rebandaged Traw’s cut.

They ate a marvelous stew, and soon slipped to bed. Somewhere around midnight, a piercing scream shattered the stillness. Fraz and the others rushed to where the shriek originated, and nearly fell into to the gaping hole below them. Down below, cradling his arm, arm was Barsa. A massive sinkhole had engulfed him.

Immediately, Casi took charge. He began shouting orders, and soon, the men had a suitable harness, in which Krale, the muscular one, was lowered down. He nearly fell off the harness, but remained steady. Krale was able to scoop up Barsa, but just as he did so, a massive, arachnid-like creature leapt forth to try to pull them back down. The brothers, Shaw, Krast, Terf, and Jusher, effortlessly swung out there bow and began firing at the beast. However, they soon ran out of arrows.

“Retreat!” Casi yelled. They quickly stumbled back to their camp, Barsa with the help of 2 men. They quickly took up arms, and locked together in formation. Fraz still had the axe, and steeled himself for the fight ahead.

The beast had made it from the sinkhole now, and was charging towards the bunch, shaking the ground. It was about fifteen feet high, with a span of nine feet. The beast was black, with eight apple sized eyes, and massive, red pincers. It reached them, and they began fighting. Fraz ducked to his left, and swung at its leg. The arachnid barely felt it. He then ducked under the beast, attempting to reach its underside, which was too high for him to reach.

The spider had spun, now attacking Krale, who was armed with a short sword. He reached up, and struck it just above the knee joint. The beast let out a screech, but remained standing.

Fraz realized the beast was attacking Barsa, and ran to his help, but it was too late. It had reached him, and tore him apart in its massive jaws. However, there was no time to grief, as the arachnid had moved on to its next victim,

Fraz took a large swing at its left hind legs, and severed it. Nearby, he saw a spear, perhaps Barsa’s, and with great speed, dove for it, and in one swift motion, swung the spear up and stabbed it through one of its eight eyes. The beast fell dead instantly, without a whimper.

“My god...” Fraz could here Traw mumble. Everyone was panting heavily. All the men had sustained minor wounds, and Fraz busied himself with bandaging and bracing, however, Casi had taken much punishment. He had several broken fingers and a sprained ankle. It took Fraz 2 hours to bandage and brace him.

The next day, they had a brief funeral for Barsa, and immediately packed up and continued their journey north. Where they were going, he did not know. But he knew one thing: it was getting quieter.

Chapter IV

They exited the grasslands the next day, and continued on through gentle, rolling hills, and hunted the nearby goats. Fraz was growing weary of the journey, but continued.

Fraz enjoyed watching the birds on the way. there were also goats, gophers, groundhogs, and many insects. He began a journal of all the species he found. He was amazed at how they each had their own way of surviving. They were just holding on, like him.

One night, by the fire, Fraz asked what they were really doing. “For now, running,” Casi had told him. “We must escape the Silence. Once we do, we can rest, and begin the search.”

Fraz grew worried. He knew they were ahead of the Silence, but how far ahead? They were called the Silence for a reason.

The next morning, they packed up and left. Fraz began working on his journal, when he spotted something. There was an injured, but alert, Silence. He gasped and whispered “Don’t move. Look ahead.”

As soon as Casi saw it, he brought out his axe and rushed it, severing its head before it even noticed him. But as he turned around, Fraz saw the look of worry in his eyes.

Fraz asked him what was wrong. “They should not be this far north. We must go, now. I have a friend. Let us hurry,” Casi replied.

The rest of the day, they were nearly running. Fraz was panting by the time they reached the house. It was a small abode, with 5 rooms, and was made of many different scraps of wood. It also had a thick, thatched roof. But what surprised Fraz the most was the fence. The fence was at least twenty feet high, and encircled the house, with much room for a yard.

The yard was unkempt, but beautifully decorated with wild roses, popeyes, daisies, and dandelions, and had a large fire pit in the back. There were well kept shrubs along the fence, and a few tree in the corners. It was about one hundred twenty-five feet in length and about ninety in width.

Fraz could smell venison roasting on the fire, and there was an average man, maybe six foot, and muscular. He had long, shaggy hair, and a large beard. The man sat in a rickety wooden chair. He poked at the fire with a long stick.

Fraz and the others sat beside him. Casi spoke first, saying “We need your help. The Silence is coming, and we must stop it. We would like to request your hospitality. Please, Castiel, repay me in this way.”

"Your request will be granted. You may stay for no longer than five days. I will not be able to provide you with transport, but I may be able to give you food. Now, make camp," the man, apparently named Castiel, replied.

The group unpacked, and settled down for the night. They began to build up a fire, and then sat down and talked. Fraz asked Casi who the man, Castiel was. “My brother,” was all Casi told him. “And what is this debt he owes you?” Fraz asked. Casi replied, “That is for me to know, and only me.”

Fraz grew even more weary, and vowed to figure out what they weren’t telling him. But, sleep soon overpowered him, and he drifted off.

TO BE CONTINUED

2. In the prologue close to the beginning where you say about the guy Sade "never hearing voices from the throne room, because" that should be "never hearing voices from the throne room because". What I am basically trying to say at the moment is you have a misplaced comma.

3. Thanks! Any minor suggestions help.

4. Very good read ty for posting this, keep it up 

5. I have been confused..

6. Thanks! 

7. At least I can write in complete sentences.

8. Like.. I don't even..

9. Thanks! Took forever to master.

10. Great writing. Thanks for posting.

11. Thank you!

12. Is this in FF? Because that's not on active topics anymore. I'll read it eventually. It seems like it would be good.

13. FF goes to AT now.

14. Cool. Didn't know. I've been inactive for a while.

15. Support :) I can't wait till the next installments!

16. This story reminds me of the great How to Kill a Mockingbird, when is the next one?

17. This is really good. I must read MOAR!

18. Troll....got....rekt

19. Not bad. Lots of grammatical errors tho. Such as here instead of hear and similar mix ups.

20. May I read the over all summary. That looks like a lot of work to read