The End of an Era: Derek Jeter

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by l_Shad_I, Sep 27, 2014.

1. So, the famous career of Derek Jeter is winding down to an end.

A little backstory for those unfamiliar with baseball. Derek Jeter is a shortstop for the New York Yankees. He has been in the MLB (Major League Baseball) and on the Yankees for 20 years now. That is a long time. Throughout those 20 years, Jeter has built a legendary reputation. 5 World Series wins, 14 All-Star appearances, and 5 Golden Glove awards. That is truly amazing. Also, he has the stats to show for it. He is 1st in the Yankees all-time in:hits, games played, at bats, and stolen bases. Also, for those that don't know baseball, the Yankees are considered the best team in MLB history. They've had tons of greats. Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth. The list goes on and on. Now, Derek Jeter adds his name to the list of all-time greats.

Not only is Jeter one of the best Yankees to play baseball, he is one of the best period. He played on a high level consistently for 20 years. His 5 World Series wins are amazing. He is 6th all time in total hits with 3,463 total. That is a lot of hits. The list of his accolades and achievements goes on and on. But, Jeter will be remembered for a few things in particular. His hustle. How clutch he was. His tendency to win.In fact, in all of Jeter's 20 years, he never experienced a losing season.

Derek Jeter is a baseball legend. For 20 years, he has been the face of baseball. Even through the steroid issues, Jeter stayed strong. He never did anything wrong, and was loved by everyone. No matter what team you were a fan of, you respected Derek Jeter. He played the game the way it should. He put his heart out on the line during every game.

However, Jeter couldn't fight one thing. Age. Derek Jeter is 40 years old. No matter how great you are, you can't fight age. So, in the beginning of the season, Jeter announced his plans to retire at the end of the year. This shocked the sports world. How could the most beloved athlete leave? Who is going to take over his big shoes? Well, we don't know who will, but someone will.

Jeter played his last home game on Thursday, against my Orioles. The average ticket price was $400. A few tickets sold for $10,000. They all packed in on Jeter's last home game to watch the end of a legend.

Jeter did not disappoint. 5-2 Yankees were winning in the top of the 9th inning. The game seemed over. But, after an impossible comeback, it was tied 5-5 going to the bottom of the 9th. Now it's the 9th inning. Man on second base. Up at bat: "Numba two: Derek Jeter" It was destiny. Of course, the most clutch guy in baseball gets this chance. And what does he do? Hit a single straight up the first base line.

That's right. In his last home game, Mr Clutch pulled off another game winning hit. His last at bat in Yankees Stadium is a walk-off winner.

Amazing end to an amazing career.

[​IMG]

#RE2PECT

2. Hell of a final at bat lol. Game winning final swing. True legend

3. #RE2PECT

4. Support..

Picture of Shadow with Jeter circa late '90s

5. Don't care, baseball sucks:

6. #whoisderekjeter

7. This man is epitome of determination and a man who was given the opportunity to be what he dreamed to be. He literally lives up to the quote "I thank god for making me a Yankee." I hate baseball to it's core but this man is extraordinary. If their were an all pro hall of fame for every sport in the world, he'd be in it.
    #RE2PECT

8. Why do you keep calling me to threads!? ^

9. So was he on steroids too like lots of other top baseball players ?

10. No he wasnt. Never was.

11. Jeter was great. But he woudnt have been so great if he wasnt on the best team in baseball surrounded by allstars and huge contracts.

Imagine what his career would have been if he played 20 years on the cubs?

12. I always find it funny when someone suspends reality to entertain a fantasy - "what if..." Lol

And Troll, you really do live up to your name
    #KeepOnKeepinOn

13. Saber,

Great players are great no matter what team they play on. Take a Barry Sanders for example. Guy played a short career for arguably one of the worst teams of his era in the NFL, yet is still 3rd on the all time rushing yards list. He is a legend and a great regardless of his teams success. So as far as Jeter is concerned, His team only helped him in the wins category, he swung his own bat and fielded the ball himself. Like it or not the dude is one of the best EVER...period

14. Now DJ will have more time to KaW

15. My half sister i dating him

16. His greatest accomplishment  just take a look at his list of exes 