The Earth compared to The Universe

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Scrapster, Mar 26, 2016.

1. I know. The light gets sent but thr object continues to move, meaning that we can see the object while it is much further. That's why I said approximately.

2. I am unsure of the specific numbers, but there are at least billions, if not trillions of galaxies in the universe. Each galaxy contains billions of stars. Each star may have planets.

Think of the likelihood of intelligent life forming on a planet. If it formed on Earth and life has continuously existed for 2-3 billion yeard then it's very likely that at least some organisms have existed on another world for at least a few million if not more.

On earth we have seen that there was little oxygen when life first formed. The first organisms were archaea which breathed carbon dioxide. They can withstand extremely hot temperature and high levels of acidity.

3. And all of this is human guess-work. A human interpretation of the world and universe. It is impossible to "know" the truth of life. You can spend your whole life chasing the meaning of life, earth, and the universe, but in doing so you also separate yourself from them.

You can ask why a wave travels through the ocean, or you can feel the amazing power and force at your feet while understanding that you don't need to know the why.

You can spend your whole life trying to figure out everything about the universe, or you can accept that nobody can understand the universe and actually be a part of it.

The point of this is that some humans are searching for information that isn't palpable while there are questions on earth that we can put more effort into answering, problems that need solutions.

4. I stopped reading after "likely hood". Still no evidence for other life. How can you say "likely hood", if, we are the only LIFE we have evidence for?

5. Shots

6. Ummm... did you quote the wrong comment?

7. ^Think he did.

8. I see to remember reading an article about bacterial life found on asteroids and things of that nature, I can try to find the article if you like.

There may not be any evidence of other life yet, nor is it necessarily intelligent life, I believe the sheer size of the universe and the number of planets within the area that can support life (within the parameters we know) I don't find it too hard to believe.

9. Let's be real, out of all the planets and ecosystems in the universe there is bound to be another with something we can somewhat resemble to a "living object" :/

10. 'million 100 megaton' annoys me

11. Why?

12. Sigh. It's like arguing with play doh. No matter your "likely hood", "sheer volume of planets" etc etc, there is no evidence of life outside of our own planet.

13. ^We have no experience with planets outside our own solar system. We know the conditions for life (at least our version), we know the kinds of planets we see, we know the likelihood of planets, and we know the amount of stars/galaxies.

Your argument is like if I said I was the only one I knew who disliked a certain checklist of foods, knew there were billions of other people, and claimed that no one else disliked the same checklist. The "likelihood" argument is that given certain known conditions, and their frequency, it's highly probable it exists elsewhere. It's called inductive reasoning.

14. That's the dumbest comparison you could have given. Why? Because I can go ask those people what foods they liked and what their list would be. We can't just go to these planets millions of light years away and ask if anyone is home.

I have no "argument" here. People are simply stating "likelihood" as fact. When in FACT, we have 0 evidence that life exists outside of our planet. As of right now with our current knowledge, we are the ONLY living "entity" within this universe.

15. million 6x 0
    100 2x 0
    mega 6x 0
    ton 3x 0
    could just use one number D:
    but i guess thats Bèta me

16. We are very relevant as we maybe the only "intelligent" life out there.

17. No, you're misunderstanding. A megaton is a unit. It's a million in quantity of 100 megatons.

18. Shots.

19. Heres the question ive always wondered, we eliminate possiblilities for life to exist based on parameters we set....

Ok well who says the parameters we set determine the existence for all life?
    How do we know that out there somwhere isnt a being or a plant that has evolved in a way to survive the noxious gassses of its planet? Or 500 degree plus temperatures? Etc.

Were only assuming a planet has to mirror ours for life to form, but in doing this we are assuming we understand what life is 100%, and i honestly doubt we do. Life could exist in ways we cannot even fathom .

There could be a planet made up of life that we have no scientific answer for as we are very very young as far as life on a galactic scale goes

20. I somewhat agree.