The Dream

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Ghoomba, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Figured I'd post my story here as well and see what the kaw community thinks about it :)
    This is just the very beginning of it, it will continue and be MUCH longer, feedback would be appreciated :D Ideas also, you may post the above mentioned things: Here

The Dream
    They say that war is hell; pure evil and ultimate chaos. The mightiest plague upon the human race is the want, the need, for war. The desire to shed the blood of those who share the same blood as ourselves, to slaughter, conquer, butcher and destroy those who are ourselves. Man is truly a beast; a brutal, bloodthirsty beast. We fancy ourselves of a higher order because we can cultivate the land, utilize tools to manipulate our environment and bend nature itself to our whim. We are no better than rats. No different. For centuries, man has fought. For centuries, man will fight. Always fight, always fight.
    “Get your ass over here!”
    A mortar round exploded in the ground right in front of him. He was there, and then he wasn’t. He was a person, a human being, a living person one second, the next second, he was just a memory. A fragment of matter in a vast expanse of matter randomly strewn about in an endless pool of collected clusters of gas and rock.
    “Holy ****!”
    Dylan rushed away from the farm house where most of the fire was being concentrated. He stumbled upon the shed around back of the farmstead, climbed in through the window and waited a few minutes to catch his breath.
    “He was right there! He was right ******* there!”
    Words screamed through his mind, over and over, thundering like the ruckus of rounds propelling towards him.
    “Death. Fire. War. Home. Family. Love. Brother. Friend. Death. Fire. War. Home. Family. Love. Brother. Friend. Death. Fire. War. Home. Family. Love. Brother. Friend.”
    He felt alone, utterly devastated. He had promised himself and his family back home that this would never happen, that he’d never be in this situation. He had let them down. He had let himself down. He didn’t want to lie to them, he couldn’t do it again.
    “All aboard!” barked the terminal officer, “Ship launching in five minutes! Five minutes!”
    The sound of feet stomping in the dust permeated throughout the dingy air, polluted and heavy from hundreds of years of human cultivation. Earth was a dying planet, still so young, yet old and decaying.
    “Where are you headed?”
    Dylan continued staring blankly into the sky. Scrutinizing every little detail, watching for changes in the clouds, changes in the birds flying overhead, changes in, well, anything. He was accustomed to staring, just pointing his view in a single direction and letting his mind wander.
    “Where ya’ headed!?”
    Dylan shifted his attention over to the young boy behind him in line. He was dressed in what could hardly be considered clothes; glorified rags, hanging loosely from his pale, limp body. The boy couldn’t have been much more than twelve years old but he had the long, sweeping hair and vibrant blue eyes that any teenage girl would swoon over.
    “Radon.”
    He looked away again. Then looked back at the boy, stared a few seconds, nodded his head and proceeded to return his visage towards the sky. He seemed determined, dead-set on scanning every possibility that presented itself within the vast expanse of atmosphere high above him.
    “That’s it? Just, ‘Radon?’ No story? No background, c’mon man! Where are you going, why are you going, what’re you looking for!?”
    “Just, Radon. That’s all you need to know.”
    Dylan is a grizzly young man, matured far behind his years. Where others see what was easily once an intelligent, happy-go-lucky young man with the whole world in his grasp, most just saw a degenerative, solemn, and reclusive man. A man who didn’t feel the need to talk about what was bothering him, when obviously he had been through many hardships. He carried with him the scars of many hard fought battles, the mental anguishes of years lost in oneself. He speaks gruffly, reservedly, with little passion. He seems withdrawn, far off, in the distance, as if he’s not really there in front of you, but somewhere…else.
    “Well.. uh, alright then I guess. So, where you from?”
    “New Orleans.”
    “Woah! New Orleans!? Isn’t that the place that’s hidden away under water?”
    “Yup.”
    “Why?”
    “S’what happens when you build a city in a swamp under sea level and the coast erodes away. You get a city under water.”
    “Do you like It there?”
    “Hate it.”
    “Oh... Have any family there?
    “A little.”
    “Like who?”
    “Look, why do you need a whole life story? Why can’t you just wait patiently like the rest of us? We’re about to get on a ship, and fly through space to another planet, you should be excited enough about that.”
    “I just wanted to try to get to know you. I, uhm, I’m sorry I guess.”
    The boy turned away and kicked at the dust on the ground, twiddling his thumbs and wondering what to do now. I his head he just thought to himself about what an asshole that guy is, but couldn’t fight off how intrigued he was about him. He seemed so interesting, so distant, he wanted to know everything!
    “I’m sorry kid.”
    “Don’t mention it, I’m used to being treated like that. I’m a kid after all, happens all the time. Where I come from, adults are mean people. Well, kids are mean people too but it’s different. I had a rough childhood, growing up in Det-“
    “Proceed forward in a single file line, present your tickets and get on the ship. Sit in your assigned seat for the take off and then you’re free to move about. This trip will take a day or two, Radon is 100 million light years away after all. You may feel some discomfort when we engage the hyper-drive. Just sit down and close your eyes, the feelings should cease within a few moments. If you are still having trouble adjusting, seek out a crew member. No loitering! Get in so we can take off, we got jobs to do here people.”
    Dylan turned away from the kid and followed the procession of people onto the ship.
    Earth’s space program had jumped significantly with the invention of the hyper-drive, an engine that could bend space around a single entity, such as a spaceship, and enable travel faster than the speed of light. Miles turned into milliseconds, light years into hours. Colonization was made possible, just in time. Earth had been sucked dry of oil and coal, solar energy was painstakingly made into the predominant energy source. The countries of the world simply couldn’t afford such an expensive energy source; people became poor, governments crumbled. The energy was there, just not the money. Currency rates sky rocketed, ironically, alongside the space program. People could live on Earth, it was a safe life, a simple life that was routine; they just didn’t want to. Since the dawn of human civilization, we have yearned to spread our wings. To walk about the Earth and colonize every bit of it. To spread about and proliferate the space which we call home. Humans can’t stay in one space, we are too fickle. We tire and grow bored of the same old same old, so we expand. Humans jumped from planet to planet, by the year 2340, planets all over the galaxy had been colonized. Inter-planetary travel was as common as inter-continental travel in the 21st Century. Radon was just a small piece of the massive network of planets which humans called “home.”

2. Dude really... c'mon. Are you ever going to grow up? Months later and you're still so childish. Sigh.

3. Very well written I quite enjoy it please continue.

4. Whoops sorry should've posted on feedback thread

5. @ghoomba

months later you're still an emo douche bag that thinks other people give a **** what you think

6. Dbo just shut the **** up you attention whore