PC Enthusiasts Thread (Not a clan lol)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kasama, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Tl;dr is available

Hey all, new pc builder here although I have done a bit of building in some college IT courses anyway.

Currently working as a trainee and have finally attained the amount required for possibly my dream pc...

So specs below.

CPU:I5 6600 (not overclockable because I hear it kills cpu lifespan)
    MB:Asrock Z170 Pro4 DDR4
    RAM:G.skill 2400mhz 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 modules
    GPU/Video Card/THE MOST EXPENSIVE PART IN MY BUILD OMG MY WALLET:Gtx 1060 Gaming X 6gb
    PSU:B2 500w
    SSD:Kingston 120gb U400 (for fast boot times and probs less loading screens depending on how much storage after os I have left, thinking about forking out an extra $30 for 240gb)
    HDD:Toshiba 1TB 7200rpm etc.
    Monitor:AoC 24" panel FHD (Talking 1080p boiz)
    Maybe a wireless nic depending on how persuasive I am.

AND A COPY OF WIN 10 Professional or maybe enterprise

PURPOSE OF PC
    Handle my school load (being a trainee) and study load (working I.T) plus some gaming (which I know this should do quite well :lol: )
    Also some server, linux and virtualisation items as well.

Of course, the gpu is going to be the most costly part so I gotta stick with my onboard for a week or two but my friend suggested I do this and he has a gtx 980.

*Note*
    Previous build was an AIO pc T_T

Opinions.

Tl;dr
    I'm making a pc, halp.

~Kas

2. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

Bring me back

3. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

Looks good, maybe a bigger power supply. Also, being overclock-able doesn't mean the cpu will go bad, it only matters if you actually overclock it or not. Hope this helps, built my own computer last summer

4. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

I'm sure you'll screw it up somehow.

5. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

If you want to virtualize then you will need a larger hard drive.

Options to virtualize:
    Oracle box. Installs onto OS runs on Linux or Windows

True hypervisors
    VMWare ESXI-free
    Hyper-V (installs on its own, as an addition to Windows 8.1,10 or from server 2012 or later)
    KVM- Linux based hypervisor

If you go with a tier 1 hypervisor(bare metal) you will struggle to game, the hardware you are building is not designed to offer virtualization.

You need to decide what is more important your home lab and growing your professional skill set or gaming.

6. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

Might pick up a better power supply eventually :lol:

I get what you mean regarding the overclockable cpu but what's the point of getting a 6600K when you won't even overclock it?

Got fancy specs? :0

So only a larger Hard drive?

I can work with that.

Duly noted.

edit:For college I'm using Hyper-V but for work it's strictly vmware.

I'm not really willing to fork out the dosh for a vmware license so that's off the table.

7. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

Bigger SSD, less GPU, Double RAM to 32g if you want to be serous about VM, (Make sure MB can support) x64 pro can access up to 2T) Stick with Win 10 Pro unless you run a 2012 server or higher and want to play around with GPO and Domain and IP crap.

If you are on top 1% of gaming crowd opt for dedicated machine otherwise expensive GPUs are best for Bit Coin mining rigs.

Good luck and invest in a good reusable wrist grounding strap!

8. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

^SSD understandable.
    What do you mean LESS GPU? All my friends are telling me to aim high like current gpu level.
    32gb, hm...

My hardware can definitely support 64-bit os and I got a free version of Microsoft Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Datacenter can't remember.

I live in a country that has horrible internet connectivity so bit coin mining is not happening.

A dedicated machine? So essentially you want me to purchase another pc strictly for gaming purposes? Lolwut

Yep, definitely an anti-static wrist strap also was told about an anti-static mat.

Thanks for your insight :)

9. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

GPU should cost approximately 1/3 of the entire build. The 1060 is a pricey option considering it has the same power as a 980ti.

10. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

At first glance, I'd recommend moving up to a bigger power supply. 850w should work well.
    Think moving down one step on your GPU is a better choice, as yours is a bit expensive for the power your getting.

Main thing is improving the PSU tho, IMO. Cost won't be a huge difference between 500 to 850.

11. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

+1

@shadow
    Wait, why am I having to get more power?

Checked build on pcpartpicker and my wattage was no where near my psu.

12. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

Overclocking does reduce the lifespan but with proper cooling keeping it within acceptable temperatures then it shouldn't reduce your CPU's life by anything. You'll probably upgrade by then.

Your GPU choice is fine. Although i've been replacing my Nvidia GPU's with AMD ones, not because of performance or aesthetics but mostly because if what Nvidia has been doing to the market. You can also use a SLI or Crossfire solution, but with DX12 you can mix Nvidia and AMD IF the game supports it.

Your PSU is what's kind of concerning. Get a 600-750 watt for future proofing AND get one from a reliable seller. Your PSU is incredibly important, it can fry all your expensive components if something goes wrong. I've alma used Seasonic, Corsair, Cooler master, Antec, EVGA, or Rosewill. I might be forgetting a few. It would be a lot better if you got a modular or semi modular one, it makes everything a bit neater and depending on your case it can help airflow which in turn can help performance.

Lastly, SSD. Get one with a reputable controller and from a good brand. SLC and MLC are a lot better than TLC/3D Nand. SLC are more expensive but are faster and have a way better lifespan. MLC is a little step down. TLC/3D is a leap down but for the price no one really complains.

13. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

^+1000

*Ahem*

Yeah personally, I don't see much benefit in forking out extra cash for a few more frames in games through overclocking my cpu.
    Stock is good enough for now.

I agree with you, nvidia hold the monopoly while amd are slowly fighting back but still amd's graphical performance compared to nvidia cards of the same price as well as updates are apparently not very good therefore nah.

The 480 does look pretty good though but reference cards and availability are a deal breaker.

I think my psu has warranty... So I should be swell until I decide to get some gold rated psu which is currently beyond my budget ):

Also if the only reason I should get a better power supply is for future proofing, then you could make the same argument ABOUT ANY ITEM ON MY BUILD. The psu is from coolermaster b500w version 2.

About the SSD...
    TLC and SLC?
    I'm just buying it for faster boot times lmao.

'ppreciate the advice

14. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

^Monopoly isn't bad. The issue is what their doing to their own cards and AMD cards. They push certain unnecessary features that aren't compatible with AMD cards, and even worst is these features have crippled Nvidia's own older generations of GPUs. What they're doing isn't for the benefit of gamers, but for themselves. And most gamers won't stand by that

You don't need a Gold rated PSU, although it would be more efficient. You can get a 600w corsair PSU for about $65. NEVER cheap out on your PSU, it's the lifeline to the rest of your expensive components!

SLC/MLC/TLC/3D nand are different types of Nand. Where the data is stored. SSD's used to br really expensive 10 years ago, especially SLC (Single Level Cell). Today TLC is available, it's much cheaper, a bit slower, but the cells have a shorten lifespan (read and writes). There are built in programs to help manage the cell decay, but a TLC SSD is better than a HDD either way.

15. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

Ashton basically covered it as for why a slightly bigger PSU is important.
    And if you ever plan to upgrade anything, eventually you'll need a bigger PSU, thus better to increase the cost a little now as opposed to buying a replacement in the future. Though this isn't a big impact for short term, and even for some long term cases.

Main thing is its a vital component (yes, ik all parts are important, but this specifically) of your machine running optimally. Having that extra availability is a better choice than running near capacity.

16. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

@ashton
    gpu talk... I suppose but in a sense, lack of updates made amd dig themselves into a hole.

Not that the 400 series and new zen architecture isn't getting ppl back ofc.

Legit, my psu however crappy it may appear is costing about $70 sooo I am definitely sure it's good enough for now at least.

Dude, legit the parts I'm getting and/or plan to get WILL NOT DRAW COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF POWER I am not running an amd build, heh and if they do, I will absolutely take your advice onboard... Actually I'll consider the 600w lmao.

Yeah, I ended up checking my ssd. It's Triple cell. Rip me but it did have a long expected lifespan. I'll try finding a pic later.

@shadow
    Yes >.>

Power draw ss

May be because the gpu and case arent registering but it's suppeerrrrrrrr low
    And together would probably add maybe 150w

17. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

@Kasama, Marketshares have always been a back and forth tug of war. Remember the x64 days? And Fermi? That being said, this is the lowest AMD has been on both thr GPU and CPU fronts.

They did let Sony and Microsoft use a lot of their intellectual property (XB1/PS4) and AMD's contract with Global Foundries is up soon.

If Zen delivers what was promised (IPC and HT mostly) then there's bound to be a huge shift since AMD's CPU game has been pretty dead.

Your PSU is a EVGA, you should've said that :lol: I've never had a bad EVGA PSU.
    Some advice: Always add an extra 100w to whatever PSU calculator you use. It's better to have extra power than limited.

18. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

Still too young to legitimately remember the 64bit tug of war between red and green.

Uh, I hear zen is going to be amazing but if its anything like its gpu's I'm going to be a little disappointed...

No, that evga psu is there as a placemaker since the cm one wasn't available for some reason.

19. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

I always go a 750w PSU, just in case I decide to upgrade parts, it leaves a lot of wiggle room if you're going for base ops in games, it also leaves good space to add in SLI

20. Re: PC Enthusiasts some assistance

Currently my build