Need something to read

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FizzyLiftingDrink, Oct 5, 2015.

1. The Phantom major.
    The true story of the foundation of the SAS in ww2. Well worth a couple of anyone's evenings.
    The courage and determination, combined with a unique attitude to warfare saw them destroy more planes on the ground than the airforce did in the air during the African campaign.

Simply put one of the most inspired real life books I have ever read.

For comedy. Back to the batcave by Adam west. It was a purely crazy read about a more innocent time and the stupidity surrounding the making of a great comedy icon.
    Including when Adam west chased a real thief down the beach with his wife yelling "you're not batman" 
    So many choices. But those two are relaxing fun reads

2. Most people didn't read OP say no pure fiction. Makes me wonder if any of you actually read any of those books.

Edit;

Read The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russel. A great jump start to see if you want to delve into Philosophy and explore critical thought.

3. Wow thanks for your input Ill check out the first book for sure. I love true stories. Honestly, this thread makes me want to start reading now , but I have to wait to go to the library tomorrow :(

4. True

5. Do yourself a huge favor.

Go read Battle Royale (the book Hunger Games straight ripped off of)

Then skip A Song of Ice and Fire[Game of Thrones] (it's a waste of time, first 3 books are awesome then George R. R. Martin got money hungry and dragged everything out) and read awesome fantasy series such as;

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson)
    Mistborn (by Brandon Sanderson)
    Stormlight Archives (by Brandon Sanderson)
    The Demon Cycle Trilogy (by Peter V. Brett)
    The Night Angel Trilogy (by Brent Weeks)
    The First Law series (by Joe Abercrombie)
    The Kingkiller Chronicles (by Patrick Rothfuss)
    The Black Company (by Glen Cook)
    The Dark Elf Trilogy (by R.A. Salvatore)
    The Farseer trilogy (by Robin Hobb)

You'll have a much better time with any of those series. :)

6. Peak by Roland Smith

Boy is taken by father to climb Mount Everest, but then realizes hes being used and no spoilers but its a good book :)

7. Re: Nedd something to read

I think I will have to read the art of war at some point. Many people reference it in speech and it would be nice to know what it says

8. Re: Nedd something to read

Sun Tzu was a Chinese Warrior, a highly ranked Military General, and a philosopher. He was very intelligent (in the art of war, hence the name of the book), a tactician and a strategist. The ability to adapt to situations and work out the most effective strategy. Most (if not all) of these principles can be applied to life and many other things. Which is kinda why people quote him alot.

Ive only skimmed the book, but i like it and cant wait to read it :3

9. "The electric Kool-aid acid test" by Tom Wolfe is one of my favorites, it gives an amazing glimpse into the lives of hippies in the 60's. It's nonfiction and if you're at all interested in that decade I suggest reading it.

"Childhoods End" by Arthur C. Clarke is my favorite, it's science fiction, but I can't suggest it enough if you haven't read it.

10. Oh sorry for upsetting you there pal. U mad bro

It isn't fiction.

11. Eragon series
    Ranger's Apprentice Series

Percy Jackson series (also there are 2 other break off series that relate somewhat)

I enjoy those cause they become addicting.

Since you said you don't like fiction:

Boys in the Boat and Unbroken are good.

12. Relentless by Tim S. Grover. One of the greatest, if not THE greatest, book you'll ever read.

13. Hunger games hugely ripped off Battle Royale.

14. Wow. I just googled it. I'll definitely be reading this. I love these type of books I'm kind of addicted to them and the way of life they preach.

15. The inheritance cycle books
    Eragon
    Eldest
    Brisinger
    Inheritance

16. The outlander book series is a good read if you're into that kind of medieval loosely historical based story

17. If you want non-fiction, I recommend you buy the Pulitzer Prize winners every year. Some awesome insightful stuff there. "Empire of the Summer Moon" about the Comanche Indians is great.

18. Try the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series...

That should keep you busy for awhile 

19. The Dark Tower by Stephen King spans 7 novels (if Im not mistaken). Its an epic adventure into post apocalyptic America that spans hundreds (if not thousands) of years of a mans life to accomplish his lifelong journey.