Iowa Primary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nathan_WINNING, Feb 2, 2016.

1. This is a thread for the discussion of the Iowa primary for the presidential election.

Edit: also feel free to discuss New Hampshire, or the recent debate. Thoughts?

Quick info: TED CRUZ won the Republican primary. Is this an upset in the presidential race?

Bernie and Clinton are locked neck and neck. It is within 0.3 percent, with over 90% of votes counted. Iowa may determine the next president. It could either start a Bernie wave that he can ride to victory, or solidify Clinton as the certain winner.

In 2008, Obama's victory in Iowa was the event that propelled him to the lead of the race. Before this time, he was below where Bernie was today.

Thoughts?

Joke to pass the time: Sanders might lose by 1/10th of 1%.

Iowa has 99 counties but O'Malley didnt win 1.

Dems are very close.

Update: Clinton claimed victory with 8% of the vote left. Vote is still close. Within 0.3%

Update: final results might not be available until tomorrow

2. Is is fantastic news. Trumps aura of "winning" is now shattered. He is no longer inevitable.

This leaves the door open for Ted to do well in other states. He needed Iowa to stay viable and he got it!

(Waits for democrats to come on this thread to throw rocks)

3. Trump is still winning . He will win New Hampshire and I know he can win against Clinton or sanders lmao

4. Most importantly: Ted stood up against the ethanol special interest group and he won, showing that you don't have to kiss the ring of the farming welfare group if you want to win Iowa. If Ted gets elected, America's crappy ethanol blended gas will be a thing of the past

5. NH will definatly go to trump. But,mtrumpmis now vulnerable. South Carolina is now in play. This is bad for trump.

6. If trump loses think of all the jobs for building his wall will be lost lmao .. in all seriousness im glad cruz was able to stay in the race

7. Moose, I disagree. Iowa is an extremely evangelical state. The past 2 candidates that Iowa has chosen have not been able to make it to the nomination. In fact, John McCain got 4th place in 2008 in Iowa. Cruz won with only 28% of the vote. Not a big lead. I think it's still a toss up for the Republican candidate.

8. Let's not forget March 1st. Look at the states with primaries on March 1st. Texas alone had 155 delegates in Texas. Point being, I think we will have a good picture after March 1st primaries.

9. He's lost every poll against Bernie... but with Clinton he's been within the margin of error.

10. This is true, but the big win is that the republican nomination IS still up for grabs. If trump swept the first 3 primaries, he'd have been hard to stop. He'd have too much momentum. Now, however, the others (even if not Cruize) has be a shot

11. I honestly fail to see what trump supporters see in trump.

12. I just read a poll that said most trump supporters are
    1. Young
    2. White
    3: have less education than non trump supporters.

Make of that what you will....

13. I love the fact that tom Brady lost his playoff game AND and trump lost Iowa. It's like Christmas every week!

14. I do not support trump but another angle that you could look from is anti muslim and anti immigration poilcies that trump spins out, besides that trump just attacks everyone else imo

15. You can also look at it from campaign financing perspective. If the oil industry pays a candidate 10 million dollars to his campaign, and then the candidate goes on to give subsidies to the oil industry, you have corruption.

Trump is funding his own campaign. He isn't corrupt. That's why I think people like him.

16. I am here to throw my rocks.

17. Trump is funding his own campaign, and that's true. That however, doesn't mean he isn't corrupt.

18. Iowa hasnt picked a winner in 16 years. They always pock the religous whackjob candidate....trump will crush them in new hampshire next week.

19. All polls show a trip win there, but that still doesn't just negate what happened in Iowa. Looking forward, What's your thought on South Carolina?

20. My thoughts are the same as many middle of the road typically democratic voters...if its not trump ill vote for the winner of sanders/hillary. Trump is the only republican that can pull enough democrats to stop the freeloaders who will elect hillary