For those who sacrificed

Discussion in 'Other KaW Discussion' started by The_Postman, May 27, 2016.

1. Some History of Memorial Day

Originally this is primarily a US based holiday.  So most likely Todd will blow this thread up with merica and images of a patriotic flag posting.....lol.  Back on track though.  I believe it was called Decoration Day, from the early tradition of decorating graves with flowers, wreaths and flags.

Memorial Day is a day for remembrance of those who have died in service to our country. It was first widely observed on May 30, 1868 to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of Gen. John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former Union sailors and soldiers.

During that first national celebration, former Union Gen. and sitting Ohio Congressman James Garfield made a speech at Arlington National Cemetery, after which 5,000 participants helped to decorate the graves of the more than 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers who were buried there.

When Is Memorial Day?

In 1971, The US Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act and established that Memorial Day was to be celebrated on the last Monday of May.

Not to be confused with

Several of the southern US states, however, officially celebrate an additional, separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead, sometimes referred to as a Confederate Memorial Day: January 19 in Texas; third Monday in Jan. in Arkansas; fourth Monday in Apr. in Alabama and Mississippi; April 26 in Florida and Georgia; May 10 in North and South Carolina; last Monday in May in Virginia; and June 3 in Louisiana and Tennessee.

How we celebrate varies

Memorial Day is celebrated at Arlington National Cemetery each year with a ceremony in which a small American flag is placed on each grave. Traditionally, the US President or Vice President lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during a very somber service.

But, some people on their own have added parents, grandparents and other family members to list of remembered on this day...I personally believe that this holiday has lost its true meaning to commercialization. 

People use this opportunity to advertise furniture sales, cars sales, foor and adult beverage specials or events etc.  Several go so far as to call off from work to extend an already long weekend of boating, camping and or partying.

I want to thank and remember those who have sacraficed for our freedoms.  So, if you have a loved one or maybe a friend who has served their country and gave either the ultimate sacrafice or maybe just wounded....take just a moment for yourself to remember what they gave so you may live the way you do today.  This is not just for Americans, but all servicemen and women...I don't want national boundaries to stop us from a simple thought of thanks and respect.

2. Re: For those who sacraficed

Amazing spelling, 10/10

Edit: before anyone gets offended for tarnishing the holiday or something along those lines... Sacraficed.

Oh, and, support

3. Re: For those who sacraficed

Is Memorial Day where the aliens invaded us and Jeff Goldblum had to fight them off?

4. Re: For those who sacraficed

Thanks Murica..

5. Re: For those who sacraficed

J/k.. Support to all those who are and have been in the service branches.. Our sincere thanks

6. Re: For those who sacraficed

You spelt "the" wrong ("thw")

9.999999/10

iPhone

7. The older I get, the more pissed off I get about how the media and the government uses troops and their sacrifices to pursue their own immoral agendas.

In the past 60 years or so, not a single American military combatant has has been killed by an enemy that has ever posed a threat to domestic safety.

Most of our troops who died in combat did so in vain, for a cause they believed to be just, but was actually a complete fabrication of the media and the executive offices of the past 5-6 decades.

Am I grateful for their sacrifices? No. Why? Because they didn't die defending freedom, like they were told. They died for the cause of filling the coffers of a bunch of rich scumbags who don't have the sack to fight in the very wars they start!

But let's please stop using "supporting the troops" as an excuse to send them to die for unjust causes.

8. Great thread, posty. This is just a touchy subject for me.

9. I have my combat wounds as well from the first desert war, bosnia, and Somalia...I served domestic and abroad. I can't disagree with most of your statements cheese, but I am am glad the war was fought overseas so that my family is not impacted. I also came home and served as a firefighter, EMT, and hazmat member all across our nation for FEMA and Homeland security...again, I say I am Thankful for my brothers/sisters sacrifice. 9/11 and Oklahoma both were horrible. With all that said, I would lay down my life so that my kids may live. Thats the true memory I wish to embody with this thread. Those who have done what I would....thank you for your commitment cheese. I do appreciate you.

10. I def can see your point of view ...wrong place wrong time though dude

iPhone

11. He is fine monkey. Thanks though. But we all carry our scars...not everyone agrees with me on this subject. I fought for their rights...I do wish this crosses national boundaries though.

12. I just get so worked up when I see what's supposed to honor a noble sacrifice being used to perpetuate a lie.

Every American troop that died anywhere in the Middle East or Southeast Asia died for literally no reason.

And if wasting the lives of American born heroes isn't bad enough, they crap over their dead bodies by making it an excuse to increase corporate profits by having sales and so people who don't give a crap about the very freedoms they enjoy can sit at home with their ungrateful families and have a nice picture perfect BBQ and post food pics on Instagram.

Memorial Day has become the biggest insult to bravery and heroism this nation has seen.

Rather than keep the Memorial Day profits, why not donate them to the wounded warrior project?

Rather than have a BBQ, why not visit a national cemetery and walk the aisles and see all the names?

Rather than sitting on your fat ass and watching football, why not write a letter to your congressman demanding they put an end to the abuse of executive power by the reckless use of our brave troops in conflicts that don't involve direct threats to our freedom?

That would TRULY be the best way to honor the sacrifice of our fallen warriors.

I spit on Memorial Day, as celebrated and observed today by most (not all) Americans.

13. Well written post, postman. However I do see cheese's point of view, and personally agree with it. For most people they only know memorial day as the day pools open, not as a day to recognize those who have served.

14. Cheese, without debating...I disagree and feel your last statement is an opinion of yours. It may be shared by others, but I can't honestly say most Americans do as you stated....and to spit on the holiday is quite harsh...I used to have issues with my PTSD but have learned to live with my issues. Do I still have episodes, you bet I do....but again I am better now than I was along time ago.....I am still grateful

15. Will dis ever end ;-;

16. You say they died in vain for a cause they BELIEVED to be just, then you say you are not grateful for their sacrifices because they didn't die defending freedom like they were told.

Why would you not be grateful for their sacrifices knowing that they were manipulated to BELIEVE what they were doing is right?
    Its not their fault, is it? They are the ones dying, getting limbs amputated, losing touch with reality, living in conditions you would never understand, and you are not grateful.
    You might need a reality check boy, rethink your position.

17. He's a combat vet (are u?) ...right or wrong he's entitled to his opinion on the matter, just wrong place for it other then that he can say/think what he wants.

If you're not a combat vet ...then shut your face, go enlist & come back in 4 years then you'll be entitled to an opinion on the matter.