Dog murder, accidents and terrible people. DISCUSS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DopeyDopeyDoo2, Oct 22, 2014.

1. My husky got hit by a car she did live though. The driver stopped after then when we ran to the dog she speed off. We couldn't get her plates, and yes she was Asian....

It was expensive to take her to the vet and we had to get her rehab, this was like 8 years ago.

2. I was literally thinking about this the other day. Is it the drivers fault if a dog is hit in the road? Technically I guess so. But the dogs owner should have had it on a leash and not in the road at all. I personally would not have stopped because I feel the owner of the dog should have taken better cautionary measures controlling the dog and it's their responsibility to look after their animal anyways.

3. No its not the drivers fault.

4. And if the driver would have stopped the owner of the dog irrational because of the loss would just blame the driver for hitting his animal. But what about the guys car? If I stopped at all it'd be because I'm demanding compensation for the damages to my vehicle .

5. Sometimes stopping only leads to trouble. One time I was driving my companies truck with a trailer in tow down a rural country road. I wasn't speeding and was observing all laws, when a puppy and its sibling ran right out in front of me. I attempted to slow down, but with a trailer it wasn't fast enough. I ran them both over with the truck and the trailer both. They were killed and pretty much obliterated immediately.

Being the compassionate person I am and feeling horrible I stopped. The owner of the puppies was outside at the time and ran over cussing me out, saying I was speeding and he didn't see any brake lights. Which, if he's in front of me how the hell is he going to see brake lights in the middle of the day.. Anyway. He proceeds to ask me if I was the owner of the company, because we had our decals and number on the side of the truck, I said yes. Immediately after he proceeds to tell me they were miniature Doberman Pinchers and he just bought them for his daughter for about $1,000.

This dude wanted me to give him $1,000 for these two puppies I ran over, which by that time made me angry. I told him first off I wasn't speeding, I was doing 40 miles an hour in a posted 55mph zone, and second if the dogs were so expensive he shouldn't have let them run around out in the middle of the road when he clearly had a fenced yard and I wasn't paying for ****.

I got back in my truck and drove away wishing I'd never stopped.

6. You can go to prison for running over a dog and not stopping?! o_O

7. Some people should not own pets.

Look, morals are taught, we are not born into it. And morals are redefined and altered as we grow.

End game here is proven here.

Pet lovers and pet owners will naturally show more compassion for pets than people who don't like pets.

Also some people will love certain pets more than others. Be it dog vs cats, birds vs mice, snakes, cows, pigs, what ever it is.

There there are view points of people on who is responsible and what are they responsible for.

Pet owner:
    Yes they should have their pets contained.

Driver:
    Yes they should have stopped. It is not just moral, it is the law of many nations including the USA, Canada, and I would assume most of West Europe to check tags and report the accident to the police.

Now, even great pet owners have had their animal get out. In my case, my Blue Heeler learned to open the bloody door. But they are trained well enough where the worse they did was rummage a few trash cans and came back to my property and lay down between the car and my RV. (i live in the RV)

So it happens.

And just like in inferno's instance, sometimes drivers can not slow down. Unlucky for him, the pups was owned by a guy who put a money value on the pups, but no emotional value into them. Nor was he responsible enough to keep two puppies leashed or caged.

You can't let pups run around near a road, and you sure the hell can't stop a truck with a trailer on a dime.

Honestly, after reading the discussion, here is my conclusion.

Protect your pets. Keep them off of roads and leash them in places of danger, like highways.

The social scale of animal importance is one that is based on lifestyle and culture.

You should stop after running over a dog to check tags and contact authority, but not everyone will do this and that is how the world is.

So root of all of this,
    Please properly train your pets, always use a leash when near roads, and only take them off a leash in a controlled environment like a back yard, bark park, or if trained well enough, back trails and large bits of land away from traffic.

In short, take care of your pets, and drivers, don't be a dick.

8. Who taught the first morals if they aren't instinctive? Where did they Come from? Why were they widely accepted?

9. Greenpeace did

10. I use greenpeaces pets for laboratory testing. #thuglife

11. OP your title makes no sense. Dog murder and accident. Which was it? Did the dog die? If not, no murder. Was it an accident, then again no murder.

12. The amount of ignorance and incredibly jerklike people in this thread is ridiculous. It's quite astounding, really.

13. Offtopic: I know some people spell color/colour different ways but for bb codes its color

14. Ah, are we having the singer/carruthers argument?

15. This thread has just come down to morals. Everyone has different views of their own morals obviously. Therefore when we argue about events like this there is no right or wrong. Just good and bad in people's eyes. Everyone has their different opinion. Please respect everyone's.

16. Some people are just simply heartless. Thank goodness it's a minority. I've hit a duck twice, well the stupid things flew into my car I had no way to stop it happening but still felt the guilt. I'm not religious but every living creature has the same right to live and value of life as everyone and thing else.

17. I hit a dog once. It was a beagel in a area where I knew there where hunting clubs around, so I knew it belonged to someone. I waited around for 20min for someone to show up and claim the dog ( that was in two pieces) then I left, and from the ass chewing I got from my boss for being late i swore I would not stop again.

18. And that dog did $1,300 worth of damage to my car that I had to then cliam on my insurance and pay the deductible on.

19. I've seen numerous people in this thread say they stopped when they hit a dog, and then faced a negative consequence, so they won't ever stop again if they are in the same situation.

Stopping is the right thing to do. Sometimes, because the situation is emotionally charged and people are dealing with the sudden loss of something they loved, they may treat the driver unfairly, or, sometimes, the driver may be delayed to his next appointment as he tries to Inform the owner of the unfortunate accident and provide some sort of closure.

What I find distressing in the posts from these people is the statement that goes kind of like this "I did the right thing, and I got burned, so I'm not going to do the right thing next time"

Sadly, that's not how right and wrong work. Doing the right thing is frequently hard, and doing the wrong thing is frequently easy. If we base our life's decisions on simply doing what's easiest, that's a pretty lax moral code. My close friends in life are decent people who do decent things, even when its very inconvenient. That's why they are my close friends. I value people who walk their talk and live their morals, even when its hard.

I would encourage all people who have been burned making the choices that decent people make to continue being decent people. Don't sell out because its "hard", or you were "burned".