"Disaster tourists."

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rising_Star, Nov 14, 2015.

1. So, the Paris attacks happened yesterday. Of course it is horrible what happened and my condolences to all that have lost either a friend or a family member. But that isn't the point of this 'rant'(?) thread.

Charlie Hebdo, MH17, Paris etc etc. All these occurances have the same nonsense over and over again.

Everywhere I look, the youtube comment section, snapchat, facebook, twitter, literally EVERYTHING has these "#prayforparis" comments everywhere.

This annoys me to the fullest. Yes it is horrible what happened, yes the city of Paris is scared. But is that a reason for everyone to post #prayforparis EVERYWHERE? Because lets be honest here, just like with charlie hebdo and mh17, nobody cares anymore in like 1-2 weeks. 95% of the people who post #prayforparis won't sleep any less nor live any different now this happened. They act like they care, but deep inside they dont give a damn. The only way someone is genuinly caring is when you or someone you know was there. This guy in my clan had a friend who was about to go to that concert, but didnt have enough time to get there, so he got lucky. Of course he cares, his friend is involved.

But the majority of these idiotic disaster tourists just goes with the flow instead of really caring. People only post these comments because it's new and different. In palestina hundreds die daily, but does anyone care? No, because it's old news. Smh.

And one final thing, does anyone even thinks these #prayforparis comments have any impact? Does anyone think the people who have lost a friend/family member read those comments and think to themselves: "I feel so much better now!" Or that the people that died will suddenly come back to life? OF COURSE NOT, THEY DONT HAVE ANY IMPACT IN ANY WAY. STOP FAKE CARING.

I might have forgotten parts i still wanted to write, but this is it for now. Come at me haters.

TL;DR screw #prayforparis disaster tourists, humanity disgusts me.

2. Yeah it's pretty dang annoying.

3. This has annoyed me forever. I have gotten in multiple rl fights with idiots who are posers. Along those lines, things like "Like this post or go to Hell" really tip me off.

4. While annoying, it's just that there's not much else they can do except show their support. Like, no 15 year old is going to donate 500$ or go sign up for the military.

5. Agreed

6. Here's one thing I'll agree with you on star, it's annoying seeing the pray for Paris all over my feed. Considering there are similar terrorist acts happening in other countries at the same time. The media chooses to pay attention to this.

If we really cared, we wouldn't be praying. As to be honest praying doesn't achieve anything. ISIS won't stop their next attacks because I prayed about it.

Europe needs stronger immigration laws. Nigel Farage predicted this week's ago at his Brussels speech.

Enoch Powell's "Rivers of Blood" was bang on the money.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very sorry it happened. Just not happy with people's selective blindness to what's happening elsewhere. This week alone, the blasts in Nigeria, the stabbing in Israel, the Lebanon attacks, you get the idea.

Out of respect for those who have died, and continue to be killed in Paris, it would be wise not to "pray" or say you're sending your "thoughts and prayers" to the victims. I understand everyone copes with tragedies in their own way, but it almost seems insensitive. There just seems to be something wrong with responding to religious extremism with religious invocations. We don't get to write off the religious convictions behind terrorism just because we don't like their actions. And we can't fight fire with fire. The best way to honor those who have lost their lives is by studying the world around you and understanding how religion has done both good, and even more so, harm to us as a species.

7. Well put, Knight, and unfortunately that's just the world we live in (at least in the U.S). Everything is so fast paced that we're used to hearing about one tragedy and moving on. It's become routine. We're beginning/are currently conditioned to hear about this kind of stuff, and quite honestly that's a sickening thought.

8. 3,1million children younger than 5 years die because there is not enough food. But who cares...

9. I hate to sound rude, but that "End world hunger" thing really annoys me. There is aboslutly nothing you can do to end world hunger. It's not possible. If governments don't care enough to end hunger in their own countries, what makes you think they'll care enough to end hunger in other countries?

/rant over

Back to op...

While people saying it doesn't really mean anything, it might make the people in Paris feel a little bit better that people all around the globe are at least hearing about it and giving their condolences. Even if they don't mean it.

10. Another thing...two terrorist attacks in Lebanon and Baghdad, a tsunami is Japan, and a hurricane in Mexico

11. Right, because moving on from a tragedy mentally is a bad thing...no it's called healthy thinking. Would it be better if everyone dwelled on every tragedy that ever occurs?

I'm annoyed that you're annoyed by people you claim don't really care. Of course most do, but it's highly absurd to claim you claim to know how others truly feel.

12. What if I'm annoyed with people that care?

13. Odd topic, don't understand the attitudes expressed here.

14. I first heard about it by a pray for Paris post. I didn't repost, but I did pray for Paris after finding out what happened. It's spreading the word and asking people to pray for those in need. I hate when people say why pray for this or that? Shouldn't we pray for everything? Yeah probably, but it's just getting across that people are acknowledging what has happened and are thinking about it. Stop bashing people for it. It doesn't affect you. If someone wants to pray for a tragedy, let em

15. If people truly cared about human life they'd know of the other terrorist attacks that happened the same day in Lebanon and other places.

But they don't, they just care about who and what they are told to care about on TV and social media

16. People are purposefully expressing opposing views to draw attention to them.

17. Or they actually have those views and your attempted marginalization of them for their views is because you feel threatened by them.

18. Threatened isn't the right word. I feel worried that some people don't give a damn about human life.

19. There are too many people dying every day to actively worry about each and every one.