Computer build.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IkiryoNighthawk, Jun 28, 2017.

1. I do not know how to build a computer. I need help on the parts to get.
    I am definitely getting a GTX1060 video card and 16GB of ram, but I don't know what motherboard, processor,or even brand of ram to get. What should I get? I'm trying to stay under 1500 dollars. It's going to be a gaming pc.

2. Gpu - rx 480
    Cpu - ryzen 5
    Motherboard -depends how much cash left
    Ram - any 4 x 4gb ddr3 will do

3. Havnt built one in ages so not up to date on specs I can offer advice. Do a little research on parts. Do not go cheap on motherboard or your power supply. Look up topics about pressure inside your machine caused by cooling fans.

4. Ryzen is ddr4, and don't get a 4x4 kit, get 2x8gb so you have the option to get more in the future. Do research if you don't know reputable brands, generally G-Skill is the go to, but I've used corsair and adata and have had zero problems.

I got a 1600x and an MSI B350 gaming pro carbon, really happy with it so far. I'd also recommend an SSD at least for your OS even a 128gb is fine just for that with a hard drive for everything else. The GPU will make the biggest difference in gaming, get the best one you can afford, or do research based on the games you're playing, you might not need a crazy fast/expensive one depending. And I cannot stress this enough DO NOT SKIMP ON PSU, it's arguably the most important part in your computer as if you get a bad one, it can fry everything else. Get at least bronze rated but higher if you can afford it, do your research, understand what parts you're getting and what wattages they'll need, shouldn't be more than 500W if you have a single GPU. Buy from reputable brands, no junk you will regret it. I have a gold rated 850W EVGA, it's very nice but expensive and overkill for one GPU. If you don't know how to build yourself there are a TON of great tutorials. Building is not as hard as it might seem and I highly recommend building yourself, you'll be much more satisfied. The best advice I can give you is just do research, lots and lots of research. If that means ignoring everyone here thats fine, you need to decide what your specific needs are and build around that. Make sure you're on newer platforms, AM4 or z170/270 and ddr4 so you have future upgrade paths. No sense locking yourself into a deadend platform like super old AM3+ or z97.

5. =====================

PCPartPicker

I recommend using PCPartPicker to make a build list with all the recommended parts that you need.

Just type in PCPartPicker.com and hit enter. Click on "Start a System Build" and fill it out with whatever parts you're getting.

PCPartPicker is great because it saves your list and you can customize your parts as you like.

Remember to check the power usage of all the components before you select a power supply. The PSU (power supply unit) should have ideally 1.4x what your computer consumes. A 600W is ideal for a mid tier PC.

A sample $1300 range build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q7xkZ8
    * Ignore the warning about incompatibility; it's a stupid error.

======================

PC Parts

CPU: I recommend the G3258 processor. It's affordable and can be overclocked to meet your gaming needs.

CPU Fan/Cooler: This one is not hard to figure out. You have 3 good budget choices: The Cooler Master Hyper T4, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, or the Noctua NH-D14, which is the far more expensive or premium choice.

Motherboard: You don't have to be fancy with this; just so long as it supports a dedicated graphics card, your WiFi, and is not outdated, you can go as cheap as you like. For this, I recommend the Z97 PC Mate mobo.

Storage: Get the 1 TB Caviar Blue something something. It's just a HDD or basic hard drive but keep in mind you will have to dish out a lot more cash for a SDD, which speeds up your storage retrieval by a lot and makes your computer boot up faster, download faster, and get rid of items you recycled in the trash faster.

Memory: Get Corsair Vengeance, at least 8GB worth. The 8GB RAM is sufficient for whatever gaming needs you may have for a sub-$1500 budget gaming PC. 16GB RAM is overkill, unless you multitask a lot of processes on your computer such as your music, the game, your Discord chat, screen recorder, and etc. 32GB is way overkill as well but is good if you're doing studio work at home like movie making and editing.

Graphics Card: I recommend the R7 370 2G for your graphics needs. Do your research well. It may be overpriced right now but there could be other good GPUs that are well in surplus and thus underpriced.

Case: Don't worry if your graphics card seems to block one of your drive bays when you make the list on PCPartPicker and all. Like I said, you can get other fine graphics cards for much cheaper; that graphics card is just the one I found for extremely cheap on sale on Newegg online. As for the case, get the cheap black one you can find on Amazon. The name of the company that makes it is... I can't remember. Go look for the ~$30.00 case or ~$50.00 in the PCPartPicker suggestions, both should be ATX Mid Tower cases.
    Edit: The cases are, as respectively aforementioned: the NZXT Source 210 (Black) and the Corsair 200R.

Operating System/OS: Windows 10 Home. Without a doubt. Get the USB installation if you're not installing a CD/DVD ROM into your PC. Keep in mind, the USB installation (which you may find on Amazon) is more expensive than the CD installation but depending on how expensive the CD/DVD ROM is, the USB installation could be more affordable.

Total Price: This build should be well under your budget of $1,500, at least half of it. You can upgrade the CPU and graphics card for more gaming power so you can play games like Rust or whatever on max graphics settings. With this build, you could easily play League of Legends on max settings.

=============

NOT REQUIRED/EXTRAS

WiFi: You don't need to get this if your motherboard already supports WiFi. If it doesn't, just get the first thing that pops up when you search for parts in the PCPartPicker. It should be called something like TP-Link or something.

Mouse: I like to go basic with this: Get a Microsoft Mouse M325. It's cheap, gets the job done.

Blue mouse pad: Just get any blue pad. Look for the word "premium" when you buy it on Amazon.

Keyboard: Logitech. It is extremely cheap. If you have extra money in your budget, go for the Razer Death something something. That one is a way lot more expensive but the keystrokes have a very fast response signal and you can customize macros or so I've heard.

==========

Assembly

It helps to follow these tips a lot. Please read this; it's a lot of helpful information compacted into one section. I spaced out sentences as I could to make it more readable and palatable.

Find a big, largely dust free room. Your kitchen table is great. Avoid areas where there are fabrics, blankets, old newspapers, carpet or lots of clothes lying around. AVOID OUTDOORS.

Get your screwdriver and anti static wrist wrap ready. Be gentle when screwing screws in. Rotate the screw until it just fits on. Nice and clean. Do NOT screw more than needed. You will know when the screw is in when you feel it resist.

Follow all instructions when you pull the parts out of the box. Place your motherboard on top of the anti static bag it came in and do not touch anything without an anti static wrist strap attached to your power supply.

You may like to install the CPU and RAM into the motherboard first.

Then install the CPU cooler. Follow the assembly instructions in the manual.

If you're having trouble, don't hesitate to ask the nearest computer repair shop to assemble it for you. Keep in mind there's a hefty fee. You can avoid this by doing your research, Googling all the questions you have, and watching good YouTube videos. The best ones are the ones with under 400k to 500k views and good like to dislike ratios, as those are not inflated by artificially generated views.

Install the motherboard into the case. Follow the motherboard assembly manual instructions. It is easy.

Then install the power supply. Do the power cables later when you have all the parts in.

Then install the HDD into the lowest drive bay in your case.

Then install the SDD (if you got one).

Then install the graphics card.

Then install your TP-Link (if you needed it and got one).

Then connect your case power cables to the power supply.

Then connect the rest of the power cables.

Note: Be patient when connecting CPU Heat Sink power cables. Try flipping the case around or having it lie on its side. Using the LED flashlight from your iPhone helps a lot to illuminate the inside. Just leave it sitting on top of the edge so the light is aimed inside.

Make sure you followed the manual instructions. Be careful when you plug in the power cable.

Also, if you installed a graphics card, connect the monitor HDMI or VGA cord to the graphics card, not the motherboard.

Plug in your keyboard and wireless mouse USB to your motherboard or case.

Install your Operating System.

Buy your anti virus and get it installed.

Get Steam and Discord and Google Chrome installed

Pat yourself on the back.

============================

Conclusion:
    I think I've covered all the parts you need, except basic static safety rules you should follow when assembling your PC, and also to be unafraid of using force when you have to, to push in stuff like the RAM or graphics card and "locking" them into the mobo.

Also, the monitor. Just get any decent 22.5" inch monitor. You can add more monitors if you have lots of windows to look at like notes or Internet pages.

=======================

Helpful Links:
    http://lifehacker.com/5827491/how-to-bu ... e-computer

There is so much information online; please, please, please do not waste your money on someone's labor that you can easily do yourself. It is a big budget mistake. You are intelligent enough to ask for help so please do your research: Use Reddit forums, Lifehacker, and Google; browse through Amazon, Newegg or OutletPC for sales.

6. ^A pentium cpu, gross.

A motherboard from a year or two ago.

A wd blue? What?

Only 8 gb of ram.

An amd card from 2-3 years ago.

smh

7. Your face ...your face is what's gross

iPhone

8. Bump. Check my post for any typos or otherwise please.

9. For processor, the r5 or an i7. R5 is more affordable, i7 is more power, probably more than you need. I suggest skipping the 1060, instead go with the 1070. It's a bit more pricey, but worth every cent. It also supports SLI, whereas the 1060 doesn't

10. Personally going for a i7-7700k for CPU and 1080Ti GPU. Currently got an FX-8350 and a GTX970, which handles basically everything I throw at it.