Boneheaded Decisons by the Devs Part I: Potions

Discussion in 'Strategy' started by The_Philosopher, May 28, 2012.

1. The fascinating thing about app games these days is how they evolve over time, unlike, say, the old CD games where the product was finished. The developers are constantly tweaking their evolving product trying to create a game that tries the invoke the most thrills and the most profit.

Unfortunately, the developers are also human, meaning some of their changes may affect the game in adverse ways. In short, they make boneheaded mistakes that we all must pay for.

In this forum series, I will discuss the most ridiculous changes and the most idiotic ideas ATA have had so far, starting with potions.

Potions (pots)

What they say they are for

In theory potions are a little twist in the game designed to give your attack or defense a little boost.

What they are really for

Pots eliminate trillions out the game daily, slowing the progress of players so they don't reach HLBC too quickly without first dropping a big chunk of change on nobility points.

A Brief History

I wasn't there for the very beginning of Kaw, but when I started Kaw in early 2010 I believe the biggest pots was the 2.7 mil attack Rein of Fire at a cost of one million a pop. However before the year was through they added three more for a total of 11 attack/def pots and 9 spy/spy def pots respectively.

Why the Pots prove the Devs are Boneheads

Okay, for a war game to work, you need to encourage people to hit each other. For this to work, players must win more often than they lose. So why on God's green earth would anyone make it easier to defend than to attack? That's exactly what these idiots did however. We needed to spend 22 mil for a full pot attack while the opponent needed to spend only 11 mil to defend. Furthermore, a baboon could figure out that since spy attacks yield much less plunder, their pots should be drastically cheaper. However I guess the apes weren't thinking the day they introduced these pots because they cost the same as the attack ones. We must remember that these pots were introduced BEFORE the highlands, so even big spies were not making much money then.

Initial Aftermath

The battle board effectively died the day these pots were introduced. Spy builds had no choice but use big pots when stealing which in turn killed whatever profits they made. The battle board, which was suppose to be the heart and soul of the game, became useless, and pwars became the only way for a spy to make decent cash was to osf in a pwar , or become a pwar hansel where pots were not needed to hit.

Can it be fixed?

One thing I was praying for when the highlands came out was for their to be no more pots added. Luckily my prayers were answered. The highlands make it possible for spies to steal again and signaled the end of builds like Dawnstar's 5 mil/3 mil/0/0. Eb items have reinforced the devs commitment to hitting. The special pots are all offensive pots, and offensive items are much more powerful than defense items. This has made it easier for spies to steal and for smaller players to successfully hit bigger ones.

Unfortunately the damage has been done. The pwar era has left us with the gluttony of spies/ hansel builds that presently rule over Kaw. That, topic, however, I'll save for another thread in my new series: biggest boneheaded moves by the devs. Lol

2. Get your comments in before it gets locked for no good reason. :lol:

3. next thing is amount you make from selling pots will be 4.5%

4. I agree almost completely. The fact is, no one is forcing you to buy pots. It really is your choice.

5. So true next is ebs most likely

6. Awesome. Best of.

7. Evolve*
    cartridge*
    Their*

This thread... So much fail consiracy theory... And you wonder why your threads get locked.

I would begin a discussion, but I can't bring myself to discuss such deeply flawed things when I know the creator will never ever listen to reason.

8. @ demur Yes, you don't have to use pots, assuming of course you enjoy losing all the time.

9. This game is a business, devs need to pay bills. I'm pretty sure they want to keep the game fun, but it's sad that do many old players are leaving because of the changes

10. Then stop posting Toast. No one cares what you have to say anyway.

11. @Tommy. Hindsight is 20/20. The devs blew it big time with the pots. Unfortunately with games like this it is hard situations like this.

12. Sorry Toast but not your not making much sense to me. Where is the conspiracy? He's talking about bad decisions, not some coverup.

13. This is so true. The only reason for pots (excluding ebs) is if my opponent is a noob who doesn't know how to pot up correctly. If I'm fighting a person who knows what their doing, i use max spy atk pots to cancel out him max spy def potions, and he's useing max attack positions to cancel out my def potion. I often wonder why there even there. I had never thought about the prices like that, that is so true. All around great thread. 

14. Thanks guys. As you can see the devs are now going by the theory that the best defense is a good offense. Unfortunately for Swabia and Yarmes, they ruined the battle board in the process.

15. @hairy
    "what they are really for" doesn't strike you at ALL like a conspiracy theory? It's like saying "the road is closed! There must be an alien artifact investigation by the government!" It technically COULD be true, yes, but you have no proof nor reason to it.

The new (more powerful) pots were intended to match up with the new buildings, and later lands. We don't exactly have only up to t2 now, 2.7m stat bonus pots aren't that much at higher levels.

"people have to win more than they lose" You do realize that half the people in the game must lose more than they win while getting attacked? If all those people quit, we'd have quite a deficit of players. It costs more to attack to defend because, defending ought to be possible, and worth it. If you only lose 15m for a failed defense, why spend 22m instead? Also, attacking someone is a choice. Defending against someone is not.
    In regards to your spy pot notation, have you possibly noticed that spies only have one plunder-gaining action out of three? Spies weren't supposed to be a huge, major part of this game. So why give them even more special priveleges (beyond lots of plunder)?

16. Wow, Toast you are really pushing to get into the devs good book and become a mod. :lol: Go easy on the brown nosing.

17. [​IMG]
    Just kidding! Comment away. Weather you agree with the op or not, it's refreshing to see a thread with some effort put I to it.