Apple VS FBI

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Moose2, Feb 18, 2016.

1. I'm not buying this story. The data for pass codes is stored on the device itself, and there's got to be some way they can find where it's stored. After all, they designed the damn thing.

2. My opnion .... "Cops" already has all infos !!!!
    Apple is using as personal marketing !!!!
    More publicity !!!!
    They r best on this !!!!

3. (/).-)

4. It comes down to the American government agencies using these tragedies as an excuse to spy on all civilians and collect data. Patriot Act anyone? This isn't about unlocking a phone. It's about MAKING apple create a system where said agencies can access the private data of civilians.

Apple is standing up against the demands of these agencies and protecting your liberties against the people who swore an oath to defend them.

But let's make jokes.

We were warned. Edward who? Who Snowden?

America is so stupid.

5. To get the pass code hook it to iTunes and look in the iTunes documents for the pass code it's on YouTube

6. Ok, I have to say that's a but ridiculous... How many people now days store credit card information and more on their phones for easy access? If a phone is hacked, then every function of the phone can be used, including the camera and microphone to listen in to your conversations. The only thing on your phone is not just "screen shots of kaw" that are on a phone...

Not only that, but the FBI would be asking apple to CREATE something that would allow them to bypass the encryption on the phone... Once something like that is created, no matter how secure, anyone skilled enough can get their hands on it... And who says the FBI will 'destroy' the program after receiving it? A simple copy paste and bam, millions of copies can be spread of a program that allows people to easily hack into any apple products...

Essentially, the FBI is not the only group that will be able to use it once it is created. We don't even know if apple is able to create the program in the first place... Who knows? Maybe iOS 8 is so secure that apple can't break the encryption?

Long story short, this is a debate that has continued for a very long time, with some companies creating backdoors for the government and some disagreeing. The reason why this debate is now everywhere, is because the FBI is using the law to have apple essentially create a backdoor. This debate will also likely have impacts for years, because if apple agrees, then a few years into the future another company will have a hard time disagreeing. On the other hand, if apple disagrees, another company will be able to defend their encryption even more.

7. #Apple4Government

8. sue apple for sharing that info in the first place, and any similar company doing the same
    i dont mind if they share data like 'this proportion of the population have this kind of app' but i am against anything specific being shared about a person
    i thought snowden showed us that the feds already gathered a lot of information to stop these kinds of attacks but clearly that failed
    i dont have an apple device so it doesnt concern me too much, but at this rate, people might as well film their entire lives and send it to the gov't
    the more people know about you, the more they can influence your decisions and i think that a democracy should limit its influence on people
    Also, the number of cyber attacks is increasing (on the other hand, obama wants to increase the budget on cyber security i think) so its not safe
    instead i think we need to look at why a muslim would do a terrorist attack and deal with the problem at the root
    this could all be bs though since i dont know much about politics

9. Fyi, the code already exists.... Just saying it's not even difficult to write.

10. Yay! Another playground for american paranoids.

11. Kk what you use your credit card for is being used and sold already fbi don't need a back door to your phone.

Criminals will already have worked out how to hack iPhones, taking banking details from websites and other methods. The notion you have safe data is frankly naive. They even trade lists of successfuly scammed people.

In this case fbi haven't asked to a system to do it they are asking if they can give apple the phone. Then apple give it back open. This would mean apple doesn't trust it's staff as they can change the phone to unlock it put it back to normal without a code locking it.

In short everything you do online is already known, criminals are cleaver and fbi haven't asked for a back door.

12. Going to leave this here and hope the NSA doesn't find it....

http://bfy.tw/4Kjy

Also keep in mind the data is suppose to be encrypted at rest on the phone. So pulling the hard drive and searching it is not really an option.

Though there are SOOOO many ways to fix this problem like gaining access to the email account and doing a restore, or accessing iCloud and restoring the last phone backup to a new iPhone.

Oh wait it was an employer provided phone, well then the employer should have the phone managed by an MDM and EVERY MDM for iOS devices have the same rules/abilities based off what Apple gives them. One of those happens to be the ability to remotely remove passcodes.

This story isn't about national security it is about massive government over reach and them wanting to break encryption on everyone's devices. Starting with iOS.

Some will think this is to spy on citizens, the majority of iOS devices are sold outside of this country. This back door gives the government massive access to other world powers and their citizens.

13. Apple are funding ISIS with free Iphones to detanate there bombs Apple cant gives the password out cause they not after the FBI Apple are more interested in killing women and children uncles and aunties grandads and grandma's

14. I support Apple and the government both. I don't think Apple should hand the keys over, but I do think that Apple should have its own proprietary forensics team to aid the government in mining data in cases like this one. But even that could be taken advantage of in the long run.

15. This is the real reason apple haven't just unlocked the phone they would have to use Google search to find out how to. :)

16. Apple all day.

Why would the government want to risk any hacker taking people's data etc? They're opening more security breaches for hackers to exploit, thus meaning also opening a backdoor for hackers to take even MORE data that you use, whether that's Credit Card details etc.

17. With the FBI having some of the best hackers worldwide, and they cant even unlock a phone with a 4 digit pin, something is seriously wrong there.... lol but apple doesnt need to create a program to help them. Every time you send a text, make a phone call etc, the numbers are logged....just look in to the billing details tonsee which numbers are contacted often?

18. My knee jerk reaction is to side with Apple. If the FBI has a phone and they want it opened, they should be able to figure it out. Ordering Apple to create a dangerous program to get the data seems like an infringement on rights I'm not comfortable with.

Also, seriously, if the government is hunting a terror network, there are other data streams they can follow. How about Facebook? How about poking around their house? How about looking at their circle of friends? Is iPhone isn't the end all and be all. Apple should stand firm

19. That's actually incorrect. What apple was ordered to do, was essentially give FBI a 'recovery bundle'... This file would reboot the device and remove the auto-erase feature after 10 tries, letting the FBI try passwords without risk of destroying data...

Also, I've never said information was 'safe', I am fully aware of what hackers can do. And yes, this IS apple handing the FBI a backdoor.