Apple VS FBI

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Moose2, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Back when DFU mode was used yes u could however that requires the CPU of the phone to be an a4 or older, talking about iphone 4 and older here... Most new methods require the phone to be unlocked or it can't finish the jaikbreaking process.

2. So in this case, the phone in question cannot be exploited and unlocked via jailbreak, since he was running iOS 8/9 on iPhone 5 (can't remember which).

3. Correct but keep in mind jaikbreaking isn't designed to be able to steal phones, could they get by the pass code? Possible but why would they bother making sure it can? Only reason to jailbreak a iphone with a passcode you don't know is if stolen. But while locked it's encryption could be an issue.

But yes as the jailbreak stands current it's not gonna bypass the password lock.

4. Brazilian police have arrested Facebook’s vice-president for Latin America after claims the social network refused to co-operate with an investigation into drug trafficking, marking a fresh tussle between US technology groups and law enforcement agencies.

The executive, Diego Dzodan, is being held in São Paulo for questioning after Facebook did not obey judicial orders to show police WhatsApp messages between suspected drug traffickers in the northeastern state of Sergipe, the state court said on Tuesday.

Facebook and WhatsApp reacted with dismay at the move, pointing out that the messaging service does not store users’ messages nor does it have the ability to intercept messages.

https://next.ft.com/content/3f057e7e-df ... fe89910bd6

There's countries where you just can't ignore a court order.

5. Bs everything is stored! It's common practice even snapchat is stored

6. Not really true depends on the company u start storing u start doing anything other then end to end encryption you start leaving holes for hackers but many still do store thought facebook would as far as whatsapp u can pull any past history on your devices ever lol so wouldn't be shocked if they don't 

7. They already know how to unlock it, it isn't particularly difficult. The real discussion should be what is this big show for.

8. Apple is right in protecting privacy. There is a reason there are rights enshrined in the constitution. Of course the Feds, want a back door to everything. They are too lazy to actually do law enforcement work. If they are too lazy or stupid to do their jobs, it should not mean they can trample on the rights of people by saying every phone belongs to a terrorist.

9. Why not they figure out how to unlock that particular iPhone? Wouldn't Apple have a database for pass codes and all that? I don't know anything about computer science and coding and such, so maybe I'm an idiot for thinking this, but why not figure out how to unlock that particular iPhone, then make it to where you need Apple to unlock any other iPhones the Feds want into?

10. This is thinking inside of the box.

A few page's ago I posted something, I'm going to post it again.

Why doesn't the FBI just take apart the device, remove the nand, then dump it? They can then re solder (BGA) the nand and put back the phone together just as it was before while having a copy of the nand.

All that's left is to decrypt the data, which might take quite sometime. But this is the FBI, they can afford some pretty expensive computers.

11. GOOO apple, even if FBI wins in the court case, don't let them make u make a new code. The public will be in outrage if apple faces coins equine considering how big apple is in many people lives, so gov can't touch u

12. The encryption and hardware locks won't make that as easy task it be easier to just hack the phone those its software rather then hardware Apple uses very high level encryption and FBI wants a key for every phone not just this one they don't wanna spend a few years trying to crack the encryption and tie up computer resources doing it.

13. Data on NAND is encrypted. Without the encryption key, even if the happy scenario when Apple will hand the encryption algorithm to FBi the decrypting process would take centuries.

i.e.: let's that the following encrypted text: 25-7-3 288-9-5 341-21-6 16-23-10

I can tell you the encryption algorithm. 23-7-3 means the 3th word on 7th line of page 23 of a book. Is this bringing you any closer? Not at all... You don't know which book. There's hundreds of millions of books out there. I can tell you that the book was written by Mark Twain. This brings you closer to decrypt but you are still far away of it. You still don't know which of Twain's books I used. Can be any of his books, you don't know if it's translated or not, if it is in what language, who published the book, in what year.

14. I'm not 100% sure Apple even has the very Key some keys Apple does claim they do not have and are randomly generated on the very device but as the whole phone is possible using the key from its very hardware they may And if they have the key it wouldn't take that long keep in mind the iPhone can't decrypt the info in under a second but the hardware locks to even read the memory at all is also Gonna be a problem new hardware would have to be made that if they even have the info to make the new hardware.

15. Drunkenboss...The encryption algorithm of iPhone is using a combination of both hardware encryption key and passcode.

16. I haven't read all the pages, but I've talked about this in a human rights class. People can see it both ways: it can help "save" people from terrorists, or whoever has the software key could use it on any device they want. In my opinion,this key would be like building the atom bomb. Once its built, you can't take the technology back. It's out there. Soon everyone has it and is threatening to use it. It might be built with good intentions, but it can get out of hand real quick.

17. Tim Cook called it cancer lol 2 types of company's/government those who have been hacked and those to stupid to know they been hacked u have a backdoor to an iPhone it becomes a huge target for a hackers.

18. Probably a shady deal with Apple

19. My bet goes there aswell... both parties had a lot to lose from this scandal.