Another movie thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tommelz, May 25, 2015.

1. Hello everyone and welcome to my second movie review! Today I'll be writing about the movie 'Big Game'. I post this for your and my entertainment while playing KaW. If you have seen the movie or will see it please let me know what you think of it. If you don't feel like commenting, enjoy the read anyway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Directed by: Jalmari Helander
    Cast: Samuel L. Jackson (President Moore), Onni Tommila (Oskari), Ray Stevenson (Morris), Jim Broadbent (Herbert), Victor Garber (Vice President), Mehmet Kurtulus (Hazar)
    length: 110 minutes

We have seen several action movies about a United States president who is being protected by a hero fighting against gangs of dangerous terrorists. Just a couple of years ago for example, when Antoine Fuqua and Roland Emmerich competed eachother by releasing Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down around the same time. Big Game director Jalmari Helander changed the familiar design on two points. Firstly, the action takes place in the wooded wilds of Finland. Second, the protector of this president is a thirteen year old boy.

It would be a wise move for Samuel L. Jackson to choose another airline. First it was stuffed with bloodthirsty snakes, then it was shot down. President Moore, the role played by Jackson in this movie, lands safely on the ground in his rescue capsule. But the danger has not yet passed since a freaky professional hunter with a gang of terrorist scum is going after the greatest trophy in the forests of Finland: the US president. Fortunately for Moore, not a rebel but a small Finnish boy is who frees him from his predicament shelter.

The young Oskari is in fact working on a nightly ritual into adulthood, which is to catch a prey on his thirteenth birthday in the wilderness to prove his manhood. The boy has a long way to go to be able to follow in the footsteps of his heroic father. Together with Samuel L. Jackson they form an unusual but great duo. Specially since Jacksons character isn't such a tough guy at all, unlike most movies he's in.

A great thing about Helanders film is that Big Game does not seem to take itself too seriously. The action and the one-liners are often over the top, as well as the great filled in villain roles. The continuous switching to scenes in the Pentagon, where the actor Jim Broadbent preforms as a terrorist expert from the CIA following the developments in the Finnish forests, regularly gets the speed out of the story. Especially since the film is on the short side it feels that you do not see as much action as you'd expect.

It's still a movie worth watching. Stylistically Big Game is nicely in line with both the multitude action films of the eighties and nineties as adventurous films à la Spielberg, especially given the modest budget which is quite an achievement. An action picture aimed at a younger audience may initially sound like a silly idea, but the nostalgic atmosphere makes up for it. The L in Samuel L. Jackson stands for something special after all!! ;) The movie worked out quite good in my opinion and scored above average.

watch the trailer here!

I hope you enjoyed reading my review of Big Game. I used some of the information from a website in my country. I look forward to reading your opinions about this movie.

Have a great day!

2. Not first. Good idea

3. Sounds good. When is it released in the US?

4. You do know posting YouTube breaks tou :shock:

5. It looks like you put in a lot of effort making this thread, but the movie is not for me. I'm a guy who likes movies like Quarantine, Insanitarium, A Serbian Film, Arena, Untraceable, etc.

6. I thought so but I didn't think it would be a big issue for a thread like this. If so, I'll remove the link of course. Thank you anyway!

7. In the US Big Game will be released on the 26th of june.

8. Sounds like a decent film judging by your review. I'll give it look thnx ;)

9. Lucky us they make lots of different movies to please us all! ;) thank you for your comment and opinion! Much apreciated!

Let me know what you think of it when you've seen it! ^_^

10. Quick.. What do they call a quarter pounder in Finland?..

11. I don't think they have quarter pounders there but else they'd just call it that! :p

12. Talking about things Finnish (or Scandinavian)..

Is it me or is Hanna Alstrom super Hawt and should have had a way bigger role in Kingsmen..

All Finnish movies must have her in it..

13. I just looked up Hanna. Seems like she isn't Finnish. Had a funny role in the kingsman tho. :p

"Hanna Alström was born on March 5, 1981 in Stockholm, Stockholms län, Sweden as Hanna Carolina Alström."

14. Scandinavians..

They all look the same to me..

15. Lmao, I saw this movie and what an ending 

16. Another great movie I watched was Unbroken, worth a look

17. I haven't actually seen that movie. It's the one directed by Angelina Jolie right? Heard a lot about it.

18. So since the movie has been released in most of the countries by now I was wondering what your opinions on Big Game are?

I personally enjoyed the movie but definitaly not a best of. Even tho the boy had to be the hero in the movie I would have loved to see a more badass Samuel L. Jackson as the president.

Overall a good movie and worth your time to watch it!