Regarding the Misinformation about how Forums Work

Discussion in 'Other KaW Discussion' started by Jackson413, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Why would anyone listen to anything the devs say? They have about as much credibility as that Iraqi minister of information during the war.

2. Doesn't it make perfect sense that they hire some forum coding people to make the alterations? It seems to me that yes the forums are operated by ATA and they have some knowledge of how to use the admin functions but when there are overhauls or changes then they hire forum/web savvy people to make those changes for them...

Not disagreeing with op or any information, but that doesn't mean that ATA are "in charge" of changes if you get what I mean?

3. This is a True fact

4. This Was The Response By Devs On My Thread "Forum Notifications"
    Just To Make Things Clearer :)

5. If devs can code an entire successful game, I'm pretty sure they can make some basic changes to the forum. Op showed us how easy it is. Why would devs need to get someone to do it?

6. Grimzy - purely because of time, i imagine the developers are harder at work with season 5 or any other tweaks than to (probably learn)/ change forum code. I agree that the op makes it look easy and is confident in their ability - but the devs may not have spent the time doing a computer science degree that includes forum coding etc

I don't know or have any definitive answer, I'm just speculating but it would make sense to me that they outsource their forum changes to other people so they have more time to sort the actual game :)

7. Phpbb could be edited by anyone, tech savvy or not. If you CANT edit a basic forum script in a minuscule way, you don't deserve to be qualified a developer of any kind.

8. Way to go man! Nice job!

9. Very informative. Hats off to OP

10. exactly this. Why do all the dirty work when you can just hire someone else to do all the annoying stuff for you? That's what I imagine ATA does.

You haven't proven ATA controls the forums, just that it's easy to do it yourself.

11. Read Below Both Of U vvvvvvvvv
    This Was The Response By Devs On My Thread "Forum Notifications"
    Just To Make Things Clearer :)

12. 1. You took 1 quote and framed it around your knowledge. What was meant by my post is this: devs own forums. Yes. It's theirs. They probably could change things on their own if they wanted/needed to. But they don't. They have other people do it. Why would it change for 1 update instead of all the others?

2. So instead of posting all this valuable info on the thread this had to do with you make your own? Seems personal.

3. Again. I never said it wasnt easy. I said that devs don't do it. Would you rather them work on the games or waste time on the forums when other people are willing to do it?

4. I never meant "oh devs don't know what they are doing." I meant "oh devs have other people for this in another company that is not their own."

So what is the point to all of this?

5. Yes. They COULD control the devs. But they chose to outsource, and continue choosing to outsource. As they said themselves later on that thread. Are you saying that they devs could have made it so that you're notified when you are quoted? My. I wonder how many notifications you would be getting right now.

6. They said themselves that they have other people to work on it. So. Yea.

Was it necessary to quote me that last line 2x? Or did what I say personally offend you?

But no worries! I have emailed the devs and have asked them to fully explain the process so I can explain it to people that think KaW devs do EVERYTHING by themselves and don't have other people for this crap.

Next time you quote me, a little heads up would be great. Especially since it seems it seems I struck a nerve to your precious programming soul.

13. Op: 1
    Lovely: 1

[​IMG]

14. @Lovely

Op was trying to show that devs DO have control over forums and that they COULD modify it. Previously people thought that the devs have no control over the forums and that it was all to the developers of phpBB.

15. And wanted to use me as an example. His point could have been made without quoting me at all. Yet, he did.

Not only did he quote me. But he quoted me out of context.

16. @Breezy
    Not quite sure how that equalised the scores. Although I'm not in favour of making a forum in what looks to be like a vendetta against someone, the OP was definitely the best blow struck.

17. Agreed

18. The guy didnt post your thread because this would be one long ass comment genius, he clearly said this isn't personal, your qoutes were probably the most recent and he could use them to address the situation, instead of bashing him, why not just say thank you for clearing up some confusion on the difficulty of running a forum software and the high likely hood that the devs do indeed run their own forums. Ty OP for your efforts in this thread.

19. Words not to use if it's not personal:

-blatantly
    -disgustingly

A few others but I'm not gonna waste my time reading past p1.

20. Thanks OP, for clearing this up and for all effort put into this! :)