Plagiarism

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by llIlI_LR-RIPPER_IllII, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi! I'm Belle. I have a bachelors degree in English and Creative Writing (focus in literary fiction). I'm currently taking some time off from university in order to finish writing a novel (but I keep playing kaw instead :/). However, when I do go back, I will be in a graduate program for English Lit or literary fiction (I haven't decided which direction I want to go yet). I hate plagiarism. As a moderator in KAW, it is my responsibility to keep Kingdoms at War a clean and safe environment for all of the players. By allowing plagiarized works to flow freely in the fan fiction section of forums, I feel that I am being neglectful in my duties as a Moderator.

KaW is a game for ages nine plus. There are very malleable minds who play this game. I feel that if I allow persons to publish plagiarized works, I am supporting by omission the act of plagiarizing. If plagiarized works are allowed to flow freely in the fan fiction section, young, easily molded minds might get the impression that plagiarism is okay. These students might attempt to take the "easy" route in a scholastic environment and copy and paste some nonsense off of the internet. This will most likely result in the student getting caught and punished. However, there is a chance that the student will get away with it and continue plagiarizing works.

Furthermore, I have been considering posting some of my unpublished works in fan fiction. I did post one short story a while back which I deleted after someone brought to my attention that the content might not be appropriate for young children to read (no- it wasn't sexual in nature, but it was a satirical denunciation of drug use). This short story was unpublished and would have been an easy A to anyone (even for a university level graduate student (I know this because I received an A in a graduate course with that short story)) who had the not-so-bright idea to plagiarize my story. Now, I'm sure if I dug deep enough through my collection of short stories, I could find some that were age-appropriate. I would love to post them up in fan fiction and see how the Kawmunity received them. However, I am now wary of doing so for fear that someone might attempt to take credit for my hard work. One should be proud of putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and CREATING something out of thin air. Only the writer is able to create new worlds. We are the dream weavers. We are the "makers". (1) We can make something out of nothing. And what we do is precious and should be treated as such. Whether you are a professional writer or a novice- every word you write is YOURS and only YOURS.

As a representative of ATA, I cannot, in good conscience, allow plagiarism in the fan fiction section of forums. If you wish to add a piece to fan fiction that you think is cool, but isn't yours, then just cite it. I'm not asking you to use MLA format. Just state that the work is not yours and do not take credit for it as if it were yours. Please keep the sanctity of the word- for words are power. Take care fan fiction and, please, heed my words.

Citations:
    1.) The idea of the poet as a creator or maker comes from Sir Philip Sidney's "Defence of Poesy". The etymology is from greek.

2. Temp Sticky to place emphasis on this.

3. You forgot to include your Master's in sandwich making

4. Whhhoooaaaaa

5. Did not read

[​IMG]

6. Very nice Belle.

7. But plagiarism is funner than not doing it.

:lol:

8. I prefer APA.
    Seth

9. Ugh, I thought I was done with Citations... That's why I'm an engineer not a writer.

10. I prefer MLIA...

11. at first i thought this was her application. but then i read it. im hated for being a charles belle but still i say damn you hater. they cant stop me anyways, **** the hateers belle **** them not literally

12. What is plagiarism

13. I assume this rules in the TOU, so do we really need a special announcement for it? If it's not in the TOU, you can't, as a mod, just arbitrarily make it one........ can you?

14. no you're not, you're a moderator, a player just like the rest of us.

15. What is a bachelor of English going to do for you lolololol nice subject fail

16. Support

OmegaLSA

17. Omega are you supporting me? Yeah I thought you were

18. I support ideas, my clan, our allies, and my friends. I do not support "Omega-wanna-be-super-noobs-who-spam-forums-with-garbage"

Sorry dude, just call it like I see it.

OmegaLSA

19. @Evil, but she has some ties to ATA.

The reason this thread was made was in response to a series of stories here in FanFic, all "written" by a certain player with no due credit to the original creator. As plagiarism is illegal on any scale, those stories were deleted and this thread was made.