~Smile at a Stranger~ Based on a True Story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by *Irin (01), Jul 31, 2010.

1. A note from the author~
    To the good-hearted people of Kaw,
    This short story is based on a very real story that a teacher once told me. The story touched my heart. And so, two years later, I wrote my own version. 

I wrote this story a long while ago, and while the writing quality may have failed, I hope the message is still A+ work. I don't know how much of this is true, but I do know that the morale never changed, from the day my teacher told me the story, to the day I wrote it, to the day I posted this on KaW: You can make a difference. No matter how small or how big. You Can Make A Difference. So without furthur delay,

Taken from the Ancient notebook of K.A.R.:

~Smile at a Stranger~
    -Based on a True Story-

He was a poor old man, living off the streets of New York City. Begging, not for money, but for food. Few kind souls, if any, give him the spare change they had. He always stayed on the same street, where he saw the same people, day after day. In the winter, he managed to find enough old, worn-out blankets to stay warm. In the hot months of the summer, he managed to find enough water to survive. He was always there, year after year. But no one knew his name.

Was it that no one cared enough to ask? Did the man himself know? Or was his past so horrible, that he wanted to forget about everything. Did he even have a name?

She was a busey young woman, going to collage in that same city. She was walking back to her dorm, after getting her morning cup of coffee from starbucks. Her mother was a substitute teacher. Her father was a retired police man. Her two older brothers had left the house long ago, as most kids do, when they grow up. One was married, the other seemed to be dating, going to clubs, getting intoxicated with alchohol. That was all that she knew. She was studying to become a doctor. Her name?It was Olivia.

Olivia's dream job had always been to be a doctor. When someone had asked her why, Olivia simply said, "I want to help people."

She walked down the street with the coffee cup in her hand. It was cold. Cold enough to see your breath, float away in the chilly morning air. She wore glasses, a heavy coat, a scarf, and gloves. Still, she was cold. 

She passed the man.

The man watched with hope in his eyes, and dissapointment in his heart.

Olivia, in her cheery mood, smiled. She smiled at the people whom she passed. She smiled at the people who passed her.

She smiled at the man.

And the man burst into tears.

She stopped, and turned to the man, a bit startled. "Whats wrong?" she asked.

The man only cried. Olivia asked again.

"N-n-no one...has smiled at me in over s-seven years." he said in a quiet, voice, scratchy but kind at the same time."

Olivia felt something, but not pity. It was stronger than pity. It was will. Will to take action.

She asked the man, "What is your name?"

"Eddie." he replied. His eyes shone with tears, but there was also a bit of joy in them.

"My name is Olivia," she said gently. "Eddie...would you like something to eat?"

He only nodded, his voice to choked up to speak. 

Olivia took his hand and led him to a resturant nearby. It wasn't the nicest place, but it was food. And that's all that mattered. "Order whatever you want," Olivia said as she smiled. And that's what Eddie did. 

He thanked her, again and again. But she waved the thanks off, saying, "It feels good to help someone."

It was Eddie's turn to smile, and what a kind smile he had!

Eventually, Olivia asked Eddie about his family. Was there anyone to take care of him?

"My mother left when I was 9. My father died 11 years ago. My sister would rather pretend that I didn't exsist." he said sadly. 

Olivia told him how sorry she was.

"Oh please, I've had enough sorrows to last me a lifetime! Let's move on to a happier subject. Tell me about your family. 

So Olivia told him about her family, and how she hadn't spoken to them in over a year. Eddie looked sad when she told him this. 

"Take it from someone who's made a lot of mistakes in his life. Family is the most important gift you'll ever be given." Olivia nodded. She understood. She just didn't have courage to pick up that phone and dial the number.

Eddie finished his meal. They left the resturant once Olivia had payed. The two walked along the street, and Eddie told her his life story.

Eddie's life was intresting. He had been a fireman in New York City when 9/11 happened. He went in and out of the burning towers, saving lives. He injured his leg badly, during that day, and it became a permenant injury.  After that he couldn't work. He lost his home, and ended up living off the same street that had put him there in the first place.

He was an inspiration. And Olivia wanted to help. She took Eddie to a cheap motel and payed for a nights stay. "I'll come get you tomorow. I think I might know a place that can help you."

"Oh, don't worry about me. I-" Olivia cut him off. 

"Please," she said. "I want to help."

Eddie nodded and said his thanks many more times. 

As she was walking back to her dorm room, Olivia went over in her head what had happened. Then she thought of the only place she knew, where Eddie could stay.

That night, for the first time in over a year, Olivia called her parents.

~The End~

-9/3/09

This story is dedicated to anyone who has ever made someone else smile. 

2. Very touching story irin! I liked it.

3. Thank you. It means the world to me that you found it touching. One goal in writing this was to make people feel something.

4. Ur writing is always inspiring, Irin, u should start writing more. I'm sure u do it all the time though.

5. That means so much to me. Writing is something I hope to do for the rest of my life. I do write a lot, but I wish I had more time to.

But I think your writing is really good too. Keep at it!

6. Thx irin

7. Very inspiring story!!!

8. Excellent! If I was your teacher I'd give it an Alpha A++  it almost made me cry, and I'm definetely not one to cry during books

9. Thank you so much, guys. It really means a lot to me that I made an impact.

10. Hi DaSh!

11. what a beautiful story nice.. and good job it kinda made me sad a bit tho

12. Beautiful story :) you left me hanging though 

13. Thanks guys! 
    i dunno, maybe I oughta make a sequel?

14. Yes!!!! A sequel!!!! I thought that story was.... Um.... Well there's no word I have 2 describe it but it left me with a really good feeling :)

15. Thank you so much!

16. Bump for a life lesson!

17. To be honest I don't think a sequel would really work out to well. But I liked the story nonetheless, some spelling mistakes here and there, but what can ya do.

18. Irin this was nice, I was touched:D