GlooMi's Guide to Writing 3.0

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by *iPimella (01), Aug 11, 2010.

1. Re: GlooMi's Guide to Writing

... When is writing fiction not "just for fun"

2. Re: GlooMi's Guide to Writing

Well here's a few writers without the guide.

Ryol, Zaln, Storallelite, Irin, Avril, and myself. :^

3. Re: GlooMi's Guide to Writing

Not really arguing. Just stating my opinion.

4. Re: GlooMi's Guide to Writing

Maybe the guide wasn't around when I started innocence, but I believe all writers start from the same place and build themselves up by how hard they work.

5. Re: GlooMi's Guide to Writing

Yeah ik but they're also not the people I wrote the guide for. All of those people had the guts to post b4 there was a section were already confident of their own abilities. Those who need it are the beginners who have begun to work up the courage to write and have no prior experience or coaching.

6. Re: GlooMi's Guide to Writing

Neon tights are EVIL!!!

7. Re: GlooMi's Guide to Writing

Yes gloomi, yes they are.

8. Bump for the new generation of writers!!!

9. Neon tights? Sounds sexy. Lmao.

iZaln

10. Oh that's from a couple months ago when I saw a 60 yr old women who was probably 50 lbs. Overweight wearing green and yellow neon tights.

11. Remember Xfest DF?

12. Ooohhh yeah.

13. Anyone comments? Anyone lol?

14. I read it again to refresh my memory for my newest story, and I must say, you are amazing GlooMi! I love this guide!;)

15. Thank you Lady_M

16. Good info ^_^. I noticed the same thing while skimming some short stories- lack of an intro/build up/climax/conclusion and other basic elements. You might want to add some formal lingo - you describe everything well, but some people may want to know some terms.

The other thing I'll say, not that I'm saying you need to add it, but it helps a LOT if someone reads some short stories from the masters- want to write a sci-fi short story? Read Ray Bradbury! Isaac Asimov is another. I'm not so much into fantasy, but I am a fan of Edgar Allen Poe, and I don't think I'll ever forget reading short stories like, "The Pit and the Pendulum.

Writing a story on the computer is a lot easier than an iPhone, especially because you can't edit on an iPhone, and you can only look at a small screen. Writing your story in a WP like MS Word is a good idea too, because it has a spell and grammar check.

17. I appreciate the feedback  thank you. I have to look up some of the terms, but most of them I don't know. I'll ask Lady_m about a good writing app

18. I'm using the free one by savysoda, you search documents in the app store and scroll down a bit to find it. But I am writing this next story on a computer, a lot easier, and I can print it out.

Sometimes you need to print out your work to spot the errors, and it's easier to edit if it's printed out in my opinion. There's something about fixing errors with a pen... Or maybe I'm just weird.... Probably the latter.