Should War be Fair?

Discussion in 'Wars' started by Imitation-Cheese, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Hypothetical question is hypothetical.

Should war be fair?

It's a simple question, but I suspect your responses will not be simple.

Imagine two vast armies, all on an open battlefield, where all units are visible to the opposing side. Both sides meet prior to war start and exchange battle plans and tactics. Both sides agree to use only the tactics they had agreed upon prior to the war, both sides must have approximately equal numbers and strength. Any attempt to take advantage of a loophole to gain a tactical advantage is considered cheating, even if the tactic isn't against the predefined rules.

Is this what we want?

2. Everything is "fair" in osw's.. Just sayin! 

3. When you put it that way....

4. War in real life is always about finding an advantage and using/exploiting it. Real lives are at stake.

War in a game, sure it can be fair. It's only for fun.

5. War is not fair but then again this isn't a war it's a war game which is meant to be fair .
    The ee system was meant to be random and fair match ups that was kinda the point of the new system .

6. Ancienne: Yes... This what I would define as... "Fair"....the Geneva conventions apply to this "game"....and furthermore "warriors" who are all "bullies" will not be able to "battle" unsuspecting victims.

Sun Tzu is....my opinion...."wrong"...and he should be stricken from "history" books........

7. If war was perfectly fair then no one would ever win.

8. CynderStryke
    = Winning.

Oh, and no.
    But this is a game, not a war.

9. Thread has been successfully answered by white and cynder, this thread is now complete and deserves a lock :lol: 

10. That's a terrible impersonation. You got a whole 15 words in a row!

But, on topic, yes I think EE should be fair. You can always strip/farm the clan after the system war.

11. In a system war? Yes, exactly what I would want. Think of it as a sporting match. Yknow those hockey games where they have an NFL team play against five 13 year olds? Oh yeah, those don't exist because they would suck.

If you want something closer to war, that is exactly what OSW is. Hit to hurt. Kill the opponent. Destroy. That's how real wars go down, the kind with swords and dragons and whatever you've got in mind when you picture war.

OSW = war
    EE war = a sporting match

12. NHL. Lmao

13. Hmmmmm. So you're telling me that if you figured out a way to win by exploiting a technicality without breaking the rules, you wouldn't do it?

14. None of you guys/gals used war timers in S1?

15. I'm saying that in any type of war, or any type of sporting event, finding weak spots in your enemy's defense and exploiting them are the name of the game. In a system war, it's crucial that the rules/constraints are set up as effectively as possible, because the rules of the game are crucial. In a WAR war, an OSW, the rules are out the window, just like in real war. It's not a competition, it's total war

16. War timers aren't against the rules. They're smart strategy, and their use can be tailored to the specific KO rules of the specific battle.

Just like in war you would behave differently if you knew your enemies had a short food supply, or in a basketball game you would defend someone far from the basket a little tighter if there were only 2 seconds left on the shot clock-- being cognizant of time, and taking full advantage of your understanding of the way time factors into the match, yeah, that's just being good/wise

17. I don't EE.

Did the trials, got bored.

Imo war is always about what your enemy loses. 'Shock and Awe' ... "wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float past"...

Osw is the best war here, you must find a way to crush your enemy by crushing their spirit and will to fight. Strips, pin and 0, sitting on certain players... Each war is different and you won't win one the same way as another. Go into osw with a narrow mind you will surely end up the loser.

18. How come the practice of massively striping the opponent right before EE is not common yet?..

My point.. As long as "sporting match" type of "war" is being "staged".. There will always be rules and someone crying cheating cos rules don't cover them all (and cannot cover all aspects)

Ps: it is SO fun to strip someone right before EE starts.. 

19. I couldn't take this thread seriously after CynderStrike's post. I lost my ****.

But either way war is war it's never fair nor is it balanced. Notable real wars that were unbalanced. Vietnam,