I grounded my son for the entire summer for failing math sho

Discussion in 'Questions/Feedback' started by TFE_Longboarddude44_TFE, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My 14-year-old son failed Math this spring semester, and had to attend Summer School. I was furious, I knew he failed because he wasn't trying hard enough and wasn't studying. My wife and I take grades very seriously, and we do punish our children for earning bad grades. My son got a D in math at the midterms, so I grounded him from everything for the rest of the school year so he wouldn't have any distractions. But at the end of the school year, I learned that he failed math and would have to go to summer school! So I grounded him for the entire summer, both so he would have more time to study and because I believe summer vacation should only be a reward for doing well in school.

I grounded him from everything- he's not allowed to leave the house; No TV, computer, video games, phone, electronics of any kind, or desserts. No books except for textbooks, a dictionary, and a bible. I took everything out of his room except his bed and educational books, and I removed his bedroom door.

Today was his last day of summer school, and he passed with a 95% average. My wife thinks we should unground him for the rest of the summer as a reward for doing so well in summer school. I can see her point, but I think that such good grades should be excepted, not considered exceptional and rewarded. I think he needs to be grounded for the rest of the summer so he can learn a lesson about working hard in school and proper study habits. I did tell him he was grounded for the ENTIRE summer, so what kind of lesson will he learn if we let him off a month early? (In our district, school doesn't start until Tuesday, September 7).

What do you think? Is my wife right, or should my son be grounded for the rest of the summer as well?

2. Are you asian? And kids do better when you dont push so hard. My parents were forceful like that and took things away and it never made me try any harder. Just let him do his own.

Ps asian thing was just a joke

3. Did you have to post this stupid troll thread twice? It's not even funny

4. You know what is funny?

5. That he posted this thread before he posted the one that Larry originally commented on?

7. repeat post. /lock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.