DoJ

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chad_da_king, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Let me pose a multi part question your answer doesn't have to be personal.Have you had experience in the courtroom ? Have you ever been on the victims side of things forced to sit through a harrowing trial facing the object of your eternal despair , or some less graphic iliteration thereof, during the impact testimony have you been one of the masses that resorted to the vanilla and let's face it pointless line of "you need to go to jail......" or if and I hope this applies to you, you haven't faced this predicament, have you seen a crime described via news or by whatever means and seen excerpts of impact testimony? I'm sure you were outraged but the crime is irrelevant , do you believe that the victim should be forced to adhere to such a phony statement or should they be able to state what they really think "I hope you get beaten to death " or any such colorful, genuine IMPACT statement I mean you only get one

2. People are always free to make dramatic/impactful statements, but that doesn't make them free of the consequences for making a given statement.

3. I butcher your child or burn your house down or **** someone you love you're going to sit there and spat such useless garbage that won't affect me hypothetical ofc

4. Who is this noob ? Nobody would hold any victim accountable for saying what they really feel. There wouldn’t be any consequences.

5. If a anyone, even a victim, makes credible threats against someone, they should be taken seriously. Death threats, for instance. I'm not judging whether or not I THINK there should be consequences. Many times there are consequences for things like that, and that is what I pointed out.

There are definitely times when I think someone/a victim has good reason and should be able to vent their feelings, but most of the time, realistically, that shouldn't be done in the public eye because again--potential consequences.

6. Thanks for the clarification but if someone commits such a crime an outburst is just that a grievous display of anger not exactly premeditated

7. I agree. If I were in that situation, I personally would hope I'd be able to hold it in until I got home and was surrounded by support. But I don't know if I'd be able to, nor do I know what kind of support I would have (depending on what I was a victim of). It depends on the person. I'd hope courts would be understanding, and they often are, but there isn't a guarantee of that.

8. Sorry I'm kind of confused here.

I see you're trying to sound poetic and spark some form of emotion.

BUT IT'S ACTUALLY HURTING MY BRAIN.

I know this can be summarised in one sentence.

Let me try and determine the issue.

You're in a courtroom, you're looking at things from the victim's point of view.

Waiting for the verdict of "guilty?"

Then you refer to the victim yelling at the perpetrator saying nasty things, wishing they'd rot in prison etc. and saying how pointless it is and how you want it to be over?

I'm not really following.

9. The exact opposite. I'm saying that the generic bandwagon comments of you should go to jail is pointless redundant and not at all in the slightest resembling the empathy that the victims feel. someone murders your child is go to jail not redundant you have but a moment to show your heart and that's what you'd use. god forbid if a serious crime of any magnitude befell me or mine such a fake statement would be the obvious opposite of justice and while Idk this first hand, if the court restricted you to such statements they'd be spitting in your face

10. Also I'm not being poetic at all I hear of such statements whenever such an event occurs it baffles and upsets me, while I have no personal involvement the injustice of it pisses me off. Obviously it's not the only thing that's wrong but I was wondering if anyone had input

11. BTW I'm writing this at the behest of chad his phone died

12. Sorry your wording and lack of punctuation is confusing me. So you're seeing this from the criminal's viewpoint and you're saying the outburst that victim's do after the criminal is determined as guilty is wrong?

Or everyone knowing and declaring the criminal is guilty before the verdict is reached is not necessary and that treating the criminal poorly leading up to and after the sentence is handed is not very lawful?

Or as the victim simply saying something you consider as generic such as 'rot in prison' is worth very little and if you would even have words for the criminal it would be something more?

I feel like I'm interpretating this incorrectly.

Can someone ELI5?

13. The 3rd one and yes he should of used grammar.
    I believe that the person on trial should be treated fairly before the verdict, however such biases are understandable . As an intelligent person you could form your view as you wish even if it's obviously correct, it has no place in the courtroom. My point was supposed to be, before he mangled it, was that the victim in their one moment of power under the circumstances whence able to face the monster should not be contained by the baseless "go to jail" and should be able to express themselves as they see fit. Instead the vast majority that I've heard of go with the social norms that have no bearing on matters of their heart and pain thereof. I hope this clears it up kasama

14. I think victims should be able to say what they feel because all they are put through but on the there are still punishments for outburst. But would not blame them

15. That's an entwined issue contempt totally unfair but if such people spoke up might change

16. In today's politically correct climate , I applaud those that stand and say what they think and feel regardless of how they think you'll feel.

17. Not saying a harsh punishment that jams them up they have already been through to much maybe just ask to leave the court room

18. Which would be totally normal so why doesn't it ever happen? Why can't people express themselves in the face of such horrid situations, it's not like we can be blamed for our raw emotions, it doesn't change who we are. Anyone who was worth knowing would understand

19. This is often the case. In a civilized world we cannot have a society with an eye for an eye mentality, and under the constitution, you are innocent until proven guilty.

Another hypothetical ofc, if you wear a plaid red jacket, beard, nose ring, have a high fade and are white. And another person with this description brutally attacked and mugged and elderly woman at night, would you be okay in the event that you went to trial, and you had such remarks made against yourself, knowing in all honesty that you are innocent?

Not all people on trial are guilty, in the event of a crime the victim does not always have a clear discription nor memory of the victim.

Until the defendant is declared guilty in a court of law, nobody should cast judgement on his possible actions. And even afterwards, threats on the persons life always need to be taken as serious accusations, as that would be intent to commit another crime.

Another hypothetical would be if you said this to the defendant, he was found guilty, and he went to a maximum security prison. He is shanked the first week. Would you like a criminal investigation into your possible involvement in your attackers death?

The moral of the story is to be respectful and let the law handle the defendant. The victim should in no way contact or speak directly to the defendant, let the court's handle it.

Hope this helps,

[​IMG]

20. Nowhere in my post did I suggest an eye for an eye mentality. Obviously I agree with the innocent until proven guilty though in many, many cases the victim or their support system knows who did it, but regardless. You wouldn't be passing judgement until after due process ( impact statement is after the guilty verdict not before) lastly about the shanked person what possible means would you have to execute such a threat unless you actually go onto the deep web and hire an assassin or make specifically incriminating phone calls you're fine