Protests over Election

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -_slim-shady_-, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My last thread was just for fun but this needs to be said the American people (meaning the popular vote) voted for Hillary Clinton but the electoral college (which was only created to allow southern states win elections where the elected official will promote slavery) voted for Donald Trump the electoral college we have is old and outdated and we need to do away with it if we ever want to take control of our own future

Thank you for reading the thread

2. Sounds like you really understand politics

4. Taking control of our own future? Haven't you ever heard of the French Revolution? Because we all know how well that turned out

5. That's not really a great counterargument, seeing as the American Revolution is what inspired the French Revolution, and I think we all know how that turned out

6. Thomas Jefferson said From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants

7. Thomas Jefferson also supported slavery. I encourage you to think for yourself rather than base your actions off history and famous people.

8. The point of the Electoral College is to ensure the rights of the states. It makes sure that the state's population doesn't unfairly give it an advantage in the election. Basing the outcome of the election on the popular might seem like the logical idea, as that is a true democracy, however, this would remove the smaller states' say significantly. States' rights in America was important to the founding fathers and is today, which is why the Electoral College is still here.

9. One question: did you vote?

10. I'll keep this simple.

No support.

11. All the illegals in California were allowed to vote. If you think this was an honest election I've got a bridge to sell ya. Trump won even though it's pretty well known that the DNC had tried to give it to Hillary, but fortunately people showed up and voted for Trump. Some of these protesters are the same people who say Trump is hateful and are violent.

12. Jefferson did support it or condone it he was the first president to try to end it but could and the slaves he had were from his father and Jefferson knew at that time a free black man would never be able to provide for his family in the south or just get thrown back in to slavery by runaway slave hunters

13. This.

14. Yes for Clinton

15. And guess what, if Trump had more popular votes and Clinton won with this "broken system" of an electoral college, this thread would have never happened

16. Clintonbabys will always cry

17. Maybe but I wouldn't have made it cause the american people would have voted from Trump but instead over privilege politicians you've never heard of did

18. Voting is already against my moral beliefs, especially voting for someone you don't actually like.

19. Maybe some of you fell asleep in History class :p
    We're a Constitutional Republic.....not a true democracy. What that means is, we have elected officials who represent the people; they then govern by existing Constitutional laws that then limits the government's power over citizens.
    Being a Constitutional Republic protects our inalienable rights.

In a Democracy it is
    the majority unlimited, lacking any legal safeguard of the rights of the Individual and the Minority.

In a Constitutional Republic it is the Majority Limited, under a written Constitution safeguarding the rights of the Individual and the Minority.

20. Generally called a democratic republic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.