What is Veterans Day?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mei, Nov 11, 2016.

1. What is Veterans Day?

A little background:
    "Veterans Day is an official United States public holiday, observed annually on November 11, that honors military veterans; that is, persons who served in the United States Armed Forces. It coincides with other holidays, including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I; major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect."

What this post is about

Today is Veterans Day here in the US. It is a day to celebrate all of our military's Veterans for their service. Many of us have family, friends, or even acquaintances who have served in our nation's military. Many have only served a few years and others have served 20+ years.

Today I celebrate all of the Veterans here in KaW.
    Thank you all that have served
    Thank you family members of those who have served
    Thank you to all that made the ultimate sacrifice to fight for your country.
    Thank you, my brothers and sisters, for fighting for my freedoms, my lively hood, and my country.

Thank you.

"Some sacrificed all, all sacrificed some"

2. But in seriousness, major major respect to all those fellow soldiers and vets out there.

3. Well put mei! Thank you for your service!

4. Support! Thank you veterans!

5. Thank you Mei, I miss wearing those stripes and the mission.

6. Much respect to all who have served & who continue to keep our country safe. You all deserve much more than a post. You all are in my prayers.

Great job on the thread Mei & thank you for your service.

7. -Mei- is an amazing mod! 

8. Thx for a well put together tread -mei- and for your service and thx to every other veteran for your service

9. Well put very well spoken thank you mei

10. Thank you to ALL who have served!

11. It is a day of remembrance of those who gave the ultimate sacrafice to our Nation and our freedoms,to cherish those Veterans still alive who serve our Nation.And for us Veterans ourselves to never forget All the families who have sacrifice their loved ones.God Bless everyone! God Bless the Untied States of American that all Veterans those fallen have honored

12. Thank you to all who have served! Happy Veterans day!

13. Well put Mei.

14. Thank you Mei and all those who have served in the United States Armed Forces, you deserve the utmost respect and I am proud to be a American!! May God Bless you all, So again with much gratitude and appreciation to all our Veterans, THANK YOU!

15. Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends!!
    Thank you to all the service men & women!!!!

16. Honored to have been able to serve. Would serve again in a heart beat, if tone were turned back. A salute to those who have served and do serve currently. It's not an easy path by any means.
    *Raises my glass to those I (and many others) have lost in both OEF & OIF. Thank you very much for the thread Mei

17. "They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

18. Thanks to all my brothers and sisters past and present for your service 

19. Almost a century of remembrance. Yet, it seems with each passing generation it means less and less to them. Memory is not only to commemorate the sacrifice and be thankful for our own freedoms, but also a time of reflection, so we might strive to never again need such sacrifice.