Ten Modern Commandments

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chocolate2, Oct 31, 2016.

1. About Me

(Skip to “The Challenge” if TL;DR)

Hello everyone, I have played Kingdoms at War for about 6 years now. I started playing when I was Twelve years old, now, six years later I find myself in college, with less time but more life experience under my belt. As a freshmen I am required to take a philosophical writing class to give me an introduction into college writing, which I of course as with the majority of my peers, felt was a massive waste of time. On the contrary, it has probably been the most enlightening experience of my life.

The Professor was Father Lew, an old, somewhat frail Jesuit priest who stood around 5’ 10”, had thin patchy white hair. He was always clean shaven, wore the same thin black dress shirt, along with matching pants and black dress shoes daily(Similar to the priest shown below). Although old and frail he did not appear to look sickly, rather he appeared wise, not of intelligence, but rather of a man who has seen the world and had experienced all it had to offer.

I anticipated the class to be full of boring religious text, with basic stale lessons about how to live our lives, which I would use to write a paper then they would be locked away and forgotten. However, instead of giving me documents to read he gave me a series of very simple writing tasks. Which although simple, was the key to a very complex puzzle.

The Task

He started off by asking us to write down the top TEN things that we desired most. Once we finished he asked us to erase any material possessions from our list, following that he asked us to count how many desires remained on our list, nobody had more than five left.

Next he asked us to replace the ones we erased with non-material desires. Once we all finished he asked “erase all that were dependent on the actions of other people. Once again we tallied up how many we erased, majority of class erased at least five.

Once again we replaced the ones we erased, this time with non-material desires that were personal, non-dependent on other people. Next he asked us to erase all that could only be accomplished on a special occasion, this time the majority of the class erased less than three. He asked us to replace the erased and to re-read all ten of our desires. And to decide which were Selfish and Selfless. Then he checked over each paper and gave his opinion on what was selfish. The end result was a list of our Ten Modern Commandments. All of which revolved around personal characteristics, and fixing flaws in ones self.

He instructed to rewrite each of our commandments into an “I…” or an “ I Always…” form. once we completed this we were challenged to accomplish these goals(or work towards them) every day and on Fridays, he asked us to write a Journal entry on how we accomplished our Ten Commandments on a weekly basis.

My Ten Commandments

1. I Always look to the positive aspects of every person or situation.

2. I Always do things on a now basis, I never procrastinate or put things off.

3. I always look for opportunities to help other people and act on them.

4. I always look for the most mature way to go about doing something.

5. I think things through before rushing into a conflict.

6. I always prioritize work before temptations.

7. I always consider how my actions could lead to someone elses.

8. I Am a person people want to be around.

9. I never get upset over small things that can’t be changed

10. I Always work towards moving forward and rarely look behind.

At first I didn’t notice much of a significance, but when I continued to re read my list and try to fulfill my assignment weekly, I started to actually believe I fit these qualities, and I began to do them automatically. It is sort of like you fake it till you make it. You keep telling yourself you are this person, and slowly you become them.

The Challenge

I want to challenge everyone on here to write a list of their own 10 personal commandments.

Cannot be material, cannot depend on other peoples actions, and has to be something you can do frequently, you can use my list as a guide. Then encourage your friends to do the same.

I’d like to encourage all who are comfortable, to post your commandments as comments and how following them has affected you.

Thanks,

Chocolate

Ps I'd like to petition devs to get Chocolate bars on my name!
    #ChocolateBars4Chocolate
    #Chocolate4Mod
    #FreeHTE4All
    #TeeJay

2. 1. I WILL catch them all

2. I will 69 Beyoncé

3. I will eat ice cream with my chicken

4. I always fart in an elevator full of people.

5. I will always Love my girl.

6. I will never complain about the food my girl makes (unless I have a death wish :-0)

7. I will never snitch

8. I will never cheat in Sorry ever again

9. I will always put an extra $2,000 in my monopoly money pile *inserts moonface*

10. I will forever play KaW!!!

3. 1) Thou shall not worship LB
    2) Thou shall not covet other player's BFE
    3) Thou shall not jelly ZTA trains
    4) Thou shall not farm
    5) Thou shall never speak ill of Spragga
    6) Thou shall not ask devs for moar swag
    7) Thou shall never run from osw
    8) Thou shall not be tempted by catfishes
    9) Thou shall not say "Thee Game is dying" when thy just bought 1000 nobs
    10) Thou shall not RP without protection

4. No one wants to read your life story.

Put out or get out bud.

#FreeSwabia

5. . lol I like

6. Atleast Ashes did it right-_-

7. Just lock the thread bud,

You had your minute of fame, its over now.

8. Allow me to translate Chocolate's Ten Commandments in KaW speak

My Ten Commandments

1. I Always look to the positive aspects of every person or situation.

I will never be BC but hey! on a positive note, neither will 90% of KaW!

2. I Always do things on a now basis, I never procrastinate or put things off.

That's how Chocolate gets in the xtal jail on Friday morning before ZTA even starts

3. I always look for opportunities to help other people and act on them.

when someone says "Hire all my allies!" on WC, I do.... followed by a couple of steal bars

4. I always look for the most mature way to go about doing something.

NO SUPPORT!

5. I think things through before rushing into a conflict.

Did I just join Zaft?

6. I always prioritize work before temptations.

Pretend you are checking emails but unload on KaW at work

7. I always consider how my actions could lead to someone elses.

Nom Nom on items without checking CA

8. I Am a person people want to be around.

FFA HTE! I got some seals

9. I never get upset over small things that can’t be changed

Unfair Devs!..I demand 1 billion mith in compensation for my no match

10. I Always work towards moving forward and rarely look behind.

Damnit!.. I should have gone Hansel back in 2012

9. :lol: :lol: :lol: ashes rocks

10. #Ashesforprez2016

11. Dibs on being his running mate #VoteNood2k16

12. The real question is, when chocolate was just starting out how old did he claim to be? He may be 18 but I'd venture he is 27 in KAW age.

13. Ashes - you did it this time. Of all your great threads made (ok, a couple were ehhhh), your post of translate to KAW speak had me rolling. Is this a venture into new territory recently by posting on threads? If so, keep it coming!
    On Topic- Choco, I luv ya no matter what. Awesome insight on something you experienced and shared with us. I enjoyed the read.

14. My 1-10 is pretty much the same,

Be good, be good at it, and never ever vote for Hillary Clinton

15. You guys should see the kinds of stuff people had to erase from their lists "Kendall Jenner" 

16. Im a religious nut i guess :D :D :D   
    My 10 commandments are stated in the bible.

17. Thanks OP. This was a genuinely interesting thread to read. We need more of this calibre! I haven't done the exercise yet, but I will.

18. A really good thread. #ithasmanyslolz and was a good read!

19. "more of this calibre"

Take her opinion lightly OP,

She knows next to nothing about hard work.