marathon advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IX_THoR_XI, Oct 16, 2016.

1. I ran my first marathon

I had planned to run it the following way using data from previous runs this being my 1st marathon
    Miles 1-9: 12 min pace
    Miles 10-18: 11 min pace
    Miles 19-26: I could either keep 11 or speed it up

After the 1st mile, I just scraped the plan and ran the next 20 miles at 10:30 min pace. I felt great going into mile 21. Mentally I didn't feel defeated rather felt confident thinking I could finish. But rather suddenly, my ribs, thighs and calves cramped up painfully. I tried to stretch it out and several times I tried to jump start my run but immediately the cramps returned. I was on pace to finish the race @ 4.36. I ended up finished 5.20 but if I stuck to my plan I would have finished around 4.50

Question 1
    Could the cramps have been avoided? Please note, In my regimen I regularly do 4, 6, 15 mile runs and have never experienced this type of cramping ever.

I think I was well hydrated going into race - drank tons of water in the 24 hours going into the race and drank from stations and my own water bottle. I was also eating energy chews and energy gels at each mile interval.

Here's what I gathered from wc conversations (please advice)
    - I needed more trace elements such as magnesium.
    - I may have needed more potassium and now kicking myself that I didn't eat bananas (they were offered at stations)
    - I probably pushed my body too hard and should have stuck to my plan since it was my 1st marathon

Question 2
    How should I rest?

Personally I would like to start running my regularly routine after 1-2 days rest. But I'd like to hear seasoned runners advice - maybe I should rest and take it easy for a period of time.

2. It can be avoided if you walk:)

3. I hear that OP climbed an insane amount of mountain peaks while visiting the Canadian Rockies..

I think the hawt Canadian ladies he met on the trails made him forget the cramps..

TL:DR, Enjoy the scenery while on marathons️

4. I have had my best runs when I make myself eat bananas before the race (an hour or so out), and then force myself to hydrate (water) and down salt packets early on, prior to feeling thirsty or fatigued. Then when I get past mile 20 I tend to not consume anything the rest of the race.

5. I agree..

Rule #1 of anti-cramping in marathons (or any races)..

Follow your inspirations..

6. I recommend minimizing rest times. Make rest days short run days. It never hurts to get accustomed to slowing down mid race to regain your composure, and it helps to increase your mileage greatly before a marathon (for me anyway). If I put in more mileage the months before a marathon, even at a slower pace, my body holds up much better

7. Hibernate.. Forever

8. Here's some famous runners for inspiration..

- Pheidippides
    - Forrest Gump
    - Insert you favourite OSW runner here
    - Roadrunner
    - The tortoise

Oh.. and Michelle Jenneke

9. Id see if your doctor could draw calcium potassium and magnesium labs. (by blood) You'd be surprised how if one of those labs are screwed up it effects you. If its none of that Id ask if the doctor has any thoughts. May have just overexerted yourself.

10. Erythropoietin, nandrolone. Oxygenated blood transfusions works too.

11. Lmao @osw runner :lol:

12. If its hot weather, a nice big glass of milk will help. :twisted:

13. Cramping is mostly caused by loss of salt due to sweating. The inability to retain water will occur whether or not consumed. Endurance events have higher demands on keeping electrolyte levels high.

Potassium/Magnesium from bananas or broccoli were a staple for me when playing weekend long sports. Gatorade was an immediate fix if needed but only if necessary.

14. crawl the whole way

15. Inject ephedrine

16. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming

17. Wi would try to go for longer training runs, if you are used to 15 miles max, and then you increase your distance by 11.2 miles your body may not be ready for that.

18. Do slow swimming to do recovery
    Or slow cycling on stationary bike, I doubt you can be on a moving bike.
    Always drink some salt in your water to prevent the cramps, it's caused by electrolyte deficiency

Yes to trace minerals. Need those.

By the way, Congratulations on Completion of Your Very FIRST Marathon. Well done!

19. What Buddha says is true too.

20. I find it's much better to watch a marathon on tv than actually participate. Possibly hire a Kenyan to run for you...