Is it ok? - Internet Dependence

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Moody, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Some may have noticed I've been quiet these last couple of weeks. Sure I've been on and popped into forums to lock/upset everything/everyone in sight obviously ( :roll: )

But there's a very simple reason for this seeming "inactivity" and it's because I ran out of data.

Which brings me to this is it ok...

Is it ok that humans are so reliant on the internet?

Around 40% of the world population has an internet connection today.
    In 1995, it was less than 1%.
    The number of internet users has increased tenfold from 1999 to 2013.
    The first billion was reached in 2005. The second billion in 2010. The third billion in 2014.
    The chart and table below show the number of global internet users per year since 1993:

Source

That's an awful lot of Internet! But during my hiatus from using the Internet between my home and at work (which I'll admit is only a 25minute drive) I found myself really missing access to the greatest wealth of knowledge we will ever collect.

I do not use my phone whilst driving obviously, but I do use apps such as Spotify or radio apps for the playlist from the weekend etc which I really did begin to miss.

Plus there's the extra bits outside of driving/work/home. Walking somewhere and using my iPhone became near to useless. Not to mention the one day that my home wifi crashed and I was left twiddling my thumbs with Jeremy Kyle and heaven forbid judge Judy to watch.

My point to this ramble about how obvious a first world problem this is, is that is it ok to be so dependent on the Internet? Does it really cause so much good that it's worth the cravings when it's taken away?

It's a good thing I never smoked because quitting would obviously be too much for me!

Is it ok forums? You decide.

Moody ️

2. If its what you enjoy then why not? To each their own (unless its illegal) i would say

3. The internet is a great resource, as long as you use it correctly. Reading the thoughts of others is a great way to get lots of different view points. Reading articles online is almost no different than a newspaper.

It's when you get to the dark part of the Internet where things get bad. Anonymity is a dangerous thing. People are more likely to be mean. It's crazy what normal people like you or me can do and say when there's no fear of consequences.

Overall, the Internet is man's greatest resource. As long as you know where to stay away from it is a great place to learn and get entertainment. Just like irl, stay away from shady places and you'll be fine.

4. Only lames run out of data.

invest in a better data plan or shut your mouth

5. I'm beginning to think op is running out of idaes

6. Personal reliance doesn't bother me so much, the emphasis on governments (especially in the UK) to 'go digital' I fear is a huge, huge error. Having too much online makes it far too easy for hackers to access / bring down.

7. honestly lmao

you drive a hard arguement moody. would i rather send letters to people or call them with my cell phone? im torn.

8. People use the internets for a lot of things. But it almost boils down to communication. Chatting, Email, videogames, dank memes, good things, bad things, lewd things and ya. Humans like to talk and argue and lewd things. The internets just makes that a bit more complex and easier at the same time.

9. Ask yourself a question, why was the internet made?

you've 10% answered your original question. You're welcome guyz

10. Yeah it's a bad thing.

I grew up in the nineties, without a FB profile, without worrying about Instalikes, without Wikipedia or About.com undermining my research integrity.

I had a lot more spare time. I faced a lot less public judgement. I had to work harder for knowledge. I now go offline frequently, and enjoy it.

But I know people, and have seen people, that actually experience panic attacks when they have to go offline. It's both sad and pathetic to see them struggle to cope with the basics of human existence.

11. Panic attacks when you go offline... :lol: sorry come again :lol: :lol:

12. The fear of that is what keeps fury from being nakkie

13. The Internet has things that Playboy just can't compete with

14. I kid you not. The dude was a WoWer who raided on the American server

15. Is it ok? - Oxygen Dependence

16. I couldn't imagine why reliance upon the Internet is a bad thing. 100 years ago, people would've thought down on people reliant upon electricity, or gas, but look at us now, they're utilities.

The Internet is just becoming another utility, and a resource for humans to exploit. I don't see a problem with it.

17. You must run out of data often

18. The Internet is a resource needed by everyone. I think that the fact we have to pay for it is ridiculous in itself. 90% of the government has you using the Internet to email them, print forms off, submit applications. You can submit job applications, fill out resumes, find daycare, housing, Etc. Hell, in some states, you can call 911 using a internet web page. Do you know how useful that would be in instances of home invasions, kidnappings, and things of that nature that you can't talk in?

When you see people complain about how how much people use the Internet, it's like the complainers think that it's used only for social media or entertainment. I use mine to check my bank statements, to email files to my insurance company, to pay my bills, etc. Sure, I use it to occasionally check Facebook or play kaw, or listen to music. But 90% of my time on the Internet is spent in a way that it's practically considered a government resource. So why are we charged so much for a resource that some government agencies require for participation?

19. :lol: