Biomedical Engineering (and maybe some other engineering?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Perzival, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Hi all, not sure what the format for this should be, but someone in clan chat suggested i should ask here.

Well I plan on studying Biomedical engineering next year at University, and I've looked around the open days, read about the courses and attended some introductory lectures etc.

Basically, what I want to know is what is it actually like to be a Biomedical engineer? How does it compare to the other engineering disciplines in the professional world? I've heard Biomedical engineers can be geared for project management due to a grounding which spans a lot of mechanical and electrical engineering, is this true?

Also, while this is mostly about biomedical engineers hopefully, I would welcome any other engineers that would like to share their relative experiences as well!

PS: I dunno if there is an 'ask people about their jobs' thread this was supposed to go in, but if there was can you let me know if there is somwehere more appropriate for this! :D

2. When you recommended them...

3. Why not research all the dif types of engineers online to decide your path. Instead of asking on a 9+ war game for info

4. Thats a good point. Ohh well, should i delete the thread do you think?

5. i think ppl should quit giving ppl a hard time about there threads there are so many bad ones out here.But atleast the kid is trying to ask a valid question.Bud check online and maybe visit a few Universitys that offer a varity and make your choice.Whatever you decide i bet you will excell Good Luck and Happy Kawing :)

6. Well said.

7. Need more people like you and less like the other dude, no point in just putting someone down on the forums if he wants a nice chat in a 9+ game about degrees nbd let him..

8. Not being rude but this is a weird place to ask this question. Try asking some professionals in this area of work that have been at it for a while and even some people who've just started their careers. Get a few opinions.

9. I see nothing wrong with asking the interwebs about your future. Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but....
    Any nuclear engineers that want to share their story for me :lol:

10. Hi! I'm currently studying Electrical Engineering myself!

So far I have come to the conclusion that you will be taking a ton of Calculus/Higher level math, and high level physics.

Also, since you are biochemical expect to take a lot of chemistry classes, like biochem, organic chem, etc.

Best of luck! Feel free to pm/wall me if you ever need helps with some math/physics! It can be tough fo sho.

Cheers <3

11. I had a mate in Australia who studied at Monash University in mechanical engineering at first then went on to change to bio-mechanical/nano-robotics engineering, he mentioned the workload is gigantic & the competition in the field is incredibly tough both in class & after you've got your degree... i can say it sounds like an extremely interesting field but you have to be prepared to hit the ground running.

12. Biomedical Engineering is definitely rated as the most difficult of the engineering disciplines. I had a few friends studying for it while I was going for my undergrad in ME and the basic gist that I got from them about it is that the discipline gets you best suited for engineering different devices used in the medical field. If project management is your end goal, then I would suggest going for ME or EE as they are less competitive and higher in demand out in the field. Both those disciplines also get you ready for project management, but I would say that Mechanical engineering is the best, most versatile of all the engineering disciplines. Good luck!

13. It depends on what company you work for. I have been training as a network engineer, it's laid back and chill job, we are treated well and get alot of company benefits. Yet other some network company employees say they are treated bad and hate the job.

14. Biomedical engineering is kinda a waste of time. You need a PhD and very specialized to be a true biomedical engineer. Get a CSE degree then apply to work for biomedical firm, better route. Most my biomedical engineers friend either became programmer or graduate schools.

Pm me if you are curious. Good luck.

15. I think forums is a good place to ask because as you can see the kawmunity consists of people who are in a wide range of jobs. So if you have a question, its most likely someone will have some information on it. It also allows you to pm them to take the conversation further and gives you a future reference point for any other questions on the topic.