The War on Drugs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GoldenTroll, Aug 29, 2016.

1. @Applesauce (I don't want to keep quoting, it adds up)

But the fact of the matter is that any drug used in moderation is "Less harmful". I am fully aware that meth is more dangerous than cigs and alcohol, but the fact is that just like buying a pack of cigs, a person can make that decision for their personal health. If a person wants to hurt themselves via alcoholism or cigarettes or even meth, who are we to determine what level of harmfulness a drug is to be made illegal. If I want to throw my life away, that's my right.

2. Or. We could just legalize all drugs and see how much fun everyone can have. Tax revenue will go up. Dealers will lose their primary source of income. And there would be less incarcerated for possession.

3. And that is exactly my point. If we also seeked treatment for drug abusers instead of incarceration

4. The War on Drugs is 100 years old today.

It kills thousands of people, destroys untold number of lives, and wastes hundreds of billions of dollars every year.
    Plus it prevents us from using three of the most miraculous plants on the planet, even for their “legitimate” uses.

I tend to think that if you've fought an enemy for 100 years and still have not achieved victory, maybe its time to change tactics, or at least re-evaluate the situation.

If all else fails, theres always custard :)

5. How many would be willing to seek treatment. If you legalize it. Whike it would reduce prison populations by a good amount. It doeant actually addreas the issue of drug abuse and addication

6. But what else is there to do? Right now we imprison anybody who even possesses drugs, and that is not helping. We turn people into criminals for simply doing what they please.

There's no way to control it, so all we can do is try to help them.

7. What has the War on Drugs accomplished?
    It has not reduced access to illegal drugs. It has not reduced illegal drug use or abuse. It has not reduced the rate of addiction. If anything, the rates of use, abuse, and addiction have increased over the past century. Prison population statistics clearly indicate that it has been used to suppress minorities.

8. Not only has it never helped, we've spent a large amount of money on it, and it only incites crime and a more dangerous drug market.

9. Well thats our prison system and laws that need to be reviewed. Correctly as a country that apparently loves freedom. 1% of our population (.91% as of 2013 according to BJS) is behind bars or incarcerated.

And 52 percent of those incarcerated all are related ro some drug offense or another.

10. It has also greatly increased the powers of law enforcement and the legal system and reduced the legal rights and protections of citizens under the tradition of the rule of law.

It has greatly increased the militarization of the police and the use of the military in police work. It has also led to a significant increase in US political and military intervention in foreign nations, particularly in the drug supply nations of Central and South America.

11. You can look at Holland as an example Contrary to what most people think drugs are not legal in Holland not even marijuana, it's decriminalized. Surveys/polls show that there is an increasing change in attitude about the benefits of decriminalization. The attitude of the public is slowly moving towards more control. Studies show that since decriminaliztion in Holland mental health issues have risen due to decriminalization. The number of "coffee shops" in Amsterdam has gone from around a 1000 to around 600 ...several years back the government there tried to make it so you had to have a medical card to get pot most of the country was compliant but Amstedam didn't go along with it since the economy of that city is largely based on drug tourism. Law was changed and it was left up to each province to decide if you needed a med card or not... In other provinces where you need a med card crime has gone up significantly due to the increasing number of street dealers that are now present due to the med card requirement.

....10-15 more years probably go back to full illegal status there. It's definitely moving in that direction.

12. Yea but in Holland cant you have sex with a prostitute while looking at a cop in the eye and telling him to buzz off?

13. oh but it does, not entirely but to a degree...once drugs are made legal it also becomes acceptable to openly admit substance abuse n seek help for it in a wider variety of circles. This is while education on it becomes easier accessed & gained allowing for serious standardisation of quality and control... whereas with stricter policies it must be a much more private affair, researched & educated within smaller, unstandardised circles. Atm the support system for addicts has alot of money thrown into it but lacks any depth of specific knowledge on individual triggers & environment manangement to really do it's job right imo.

14. That's your opinion. I have mine. If you can't accept that some people have extreme opinions, you must be excessively arrogant yourself.

15. It's your right to do what you like with cigarettes. It's your right to get drunk as **** - it's not your right to drink in public, drive while under the influence of anything or use any illegal substance. You don't have that right. Which is why if I saw someone like you doing some like that (illegal) I would stop you.

It's illegal for a reason. Most people on Meth end up hurting or killing people. Drink driving kills other people. Excessive drinking can cause you to hurt or kill other people. As soon as you do something illegal/something that will put someone else at risk, it's no longer your right.

16. idk where u got that info but its false...i'm not a meth head but most ppl on meth do not hurt ppl let alone do much more than chill out on the couch on a weekend, sum do go badly overboard but most of the time their character is already one that is that slips towards violence or crime under high levels of stress & influence...drink driving doesn't kill people, sum ppl who drink drive kill ppl...ur stereotyping attitude will get u nowhere realistically...ppl need to be dosed or supported individually based on factors like metabolism, size, shape, muscle, fat, financial& social factors, living environment, etc, etc, etc...hell do u kno getting high in a dark room compared to a well lit room will change the high u get...there are way to many variables to stereotype neway, to say most ppl on meth are hurting ppl n deserve to od is a undereducated statement entirely.

17. @ ozzen, points well made.

Here's things I'll concede on based on personal experience before I remove myself from this topic: (I've done damn near every "drug/substance" out there, not bragging or anything, just sad facts. The list of things I haven't tried is maybe 3-5 items long. I have pretty extensive first hand experience)

Weed as a gateway drug. Sure I'll give ya that one, we can split hairs and say my marijuana use lead to my later use and abuse of opiates. This is also as much alcohols fault as it is weeds. Let's be fair to alcohol and also give it the recognition it deserves as s gateway drug too.

Weed being addictive. I'll concede this one too, but again with perspective. Being a daily (3-5 times a day) toker, I recently quit burning down for a job opportunity that floated my way. I slept like crap and was a bit quicker to anger for a week or so. (I'm s quick tempered individual as is, one of the reason I smoke anyway). Personally it is waaaaaay easier to quit smoking then it was to quit opiates, or nicotine even. I've managed to hang up my opiate problems (7 months now, don't applaud that crap, I was an idiot for 10 years, just how I see it) yet I'm still smoking cigarettes even. Heroin withdrawal is incredibly uncomfortable, putting it lightly. Alcohol withdrawal will outright kill you too. So I was a bit angrier for a week big whoop.

If you're gonna come down on some of the illegal substances out there at least open your eyes and give some of these legal substances you take for granted a nice hard look too. As of current I no longer drink, use opiates and I'm planning on quitting cigarettes soon as I get my health insurance straight. While I'm not currently using marijuana I will be back to it, and my occasional lsd trip. Take it for what you will, I've been there done that with almost everything and marijuana is about the only thing I will continue to use, I think that says something. But as ozzen says we're all different, physically, psychologically, that should be taken into account too. While I've been able to quit my long term opiate abuse cold turkey and on my own I have friends that have and will probably continue to struggle with it for years.

Tl:dr OPEN YOUR DAMN EYES AND TRY TAKING ALL FACTORS INTO ACCOUNT AND NOT JUST THE ONES THAT WORK FOR YOUR BELIEFS

Rasta out, going back to my corner ️

18. Op's true message:

"the war on drugs, an economic mess"
    versus
    "addictive substances, a lucrative business"

#smh

Many families suffered from this addictions, can you compare that to an economic proportion?!

Why are so many people so materialistic yet they don't realize the morality of their every proposition?

19. War on Sugar is winnable

20. I dont know about that. I have a suger addication and its kicking me ass