Donuts.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImmortalFaZe_TDT, Jul 27, 2016.

1. So I was with my girlfriend about an hour ago today, and we were in this open dirt parking lot and were screwing around doing donuts and pulling the parking brake and all that fun stuff, but then we started to get followed by some random car, and they got really close, and maybe took a pic of my license plate. (it kinda looked liked he was holding a camera up, but not sure.) so anyway he chased us till we got out, and back onto the real road. So anyway, is it illegal, like if he submitted the plate number to the police station, could I get a ticket somehow? I'm kinda really nervous and need to know. Any help please.

2. It's only illegal if it's a private parking lot that you don't own(at least in California)

3. Well it wasn't really a parking lot it was kinda a big open gravel lot but no I didn't own it, but also its considered to be a park

4. Then it shouldn't be illegal... As long as its public property

5. It might be, it's by a big factory, I'm not sure if it's private or not, hope not, but my main question is, if they reported my license plate numbers and stuff, what would happen?

6. They would need to have a video anyway or else it's just hearsay

7. It takes a while for the reports to go through (trust me my mom works with this stuff)

8. You're perfectly fine.

9. I came here expecting a food thread.

10. that's better.

11. Affirmative

12. This response assumes you live in America. And this advice isn't legal advice. I'm not an attorney. I'm just a regular guy who knows a little bit about how the law in America works. Take this advice at your own risk. You should hire your own attorney for the right answer.

I assume that most jurisdictions have some form of general law prohibiting reckless driving. Reckless driving is basically doing anything with your car other than driving it in the usual way. Cops use it to charge people for doing donuts, burnouts, racing and etc.

Whether it was legal or not isn't relevant. Simply observing a vehicle driving recklessly does not constitute proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Even if he had pictures and video of your car doing it. The witness must positively identify you for them to successfully prosecute you.

The police would have to find you based on your LP number and then the witness would have to testify against you in court by identifying you by your face and telling the judge that it was you who did it. And even then, there are a number of ways to object to that testimony. It'll basically be his word against yours and the law tends to favor defendants in cases like these (in my experience). Main point you could use in your defense is how does the witness know it wasn't someone who looks like you who happened to be driving your car? You can't be held responsible for the actions of others unless you were involved, and they'd have to prove that too, which would be even harder than prosecuting you for reckless driving in the first place.

As long as he didn't get a good look at your face (or a picture of your face) then there's no way the DA will be able to successfully prosecute you. That person just wasted their time and gas trying to scare you. And they're probably gonna waste their time sending that video to the cops because they're gonna take one look at it and tell him/her to get lost.

TL;DR: don't worry about it - you're fine.

13. I wouldn't worry about the authorities, it's the Red Lectroids you should be worried about. But fear not, the Hong Kong Cavaliers and myself will fight to protect you!

14. Because it's public does not mean it's legal. I have been issued a ticket doing the same type of activity on the beach. It's legal to drive on, just not in the manner I (and you) are doing. If you feel guilty, it is probably wrong. If not illegal. Always err on the side of good judgement. Do these kind of activities where ppl are not around.

15. I thought this was going to be about my favorite food.

16. It sounds like you were on private property.

The Police wouldn't be issuing you with a 'ticket' because that is something they do when you are on a public road.

Not wishing to scare you but if there is evidence that you were trespassing then that is a criminal offence.

If not then the landowner might be interested in knowing who you are and may ask you to not do it again. I doubt it would be cost-effective for the landowner to take further action against you under civil law.

17. Alright thank you very much.

18. You tricked me….. :( im not amused

19. You could get a reckless driving ticket, insurance might go up. But seriously cops have better things to do then waste time serving that kinda ticket unless you do it right infront of them