Congress Working Hard Or Hardly At All?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WhatsUp, Jul 16, 2016.

1. So if you haven't heard, Congress is taking another long vacation. This time it will be a seven week vacation. Which is about a entire two months. Congress has about a nine percent approvalĀ rating. So apparently their are people still dumb enough to believe in them. Which should be no surprise because these are the same dumb people that put these so called hard working people into office. So as all you true hard working people work your butt off , remember that your congressman or congresswoman is off relaxing and laughing it up. Though who knows I could be wrong and maybe they do deserve this long comfortable break. So do congress deserve this seven week vacation or is this just another slap in the face to the american people?

2. Last time I heard of them, they were throwing a massive sleepover party over a serious issue so yh...
    Although tbf, do they actually have much to do till the election? Unless they want a bigger job with one of the candidates idk

3. Congress has 535 members, thats 535 people and their families our tax dollar is paying to be on vacation for almost two months while most the citizens who pay their salary cant afford a one week vacation.

The starting salary for a congressman is $174,000 Per year plus benefits. Multiply that by 535, although some make even more. Its rediculous. And thats not even factoring in the bribe money they are known to accept.

I think the number in congress needs to be cut down to about 100.

4. @Matrix you do know the more people in the congress the more presentation there is for the extremely diverse population of the US.....

5. Congress hasnt represented the people in a long time. They vote in things that have 80% non approval rates from the people and crap all the time.

Its became a gaggle of hens that are in the pocket of different politicians and corporations

6. So your solution to a lack of representation is less representatives? You really thought that through.

7. To answer your question OP congressmen and women work very hard. Unfortunately the only thing they are dedicated to is retaining their position, so their hard work is all directed at campaigning and getting re-elected.

8. Lol ya my bad, guees im crazy for not wanting my tax dollars to go towards paying close to 200 k a year salaries for 500 people that dont do their job.

Less represenitives or less pay it dosnt take near that much to live comfortable in any state in the u.s.

9. You just backed up my argument. Ty....their only care is re-election

10. No I didn't back your argument at all. I agree the current representatives are overall ineffective, but I think we should replace those representatives not reduce the amount of representation. As far as pay, it's an important job that you want to attract the best and brightest people to do, you do that with a reasonable pay rate. If you put congressmen in office who will actually do their job then there is no issue paying that amount at all.

11. No you are just idiotic and uninformed if you think those are the best solutions. I have no evidence to suggest you are crazy.

12. I can agree with this to an extent. It dosnt really attract the best and brightest though. The most well connected and corrupt and those willing to "play ball" is who gets these jobs.

13. You are raising some true points, but your solution does nothing to correct the current system. The only thing your idea solves is saving a bit of tax dollars.

14. An attractive pay certainly attracts the best and brightest. Why do you think intelligent people are generally doctors, lawyers, politicians, and other high paying occupations instead of being janitors and garbage men?

15. Yup im idiotic if i think we dont need 535 people to make up a congress, and dont give me that representing diversity crap, how much diversity do you see in congress? Its 95% old white rich men

16. You are idiotic for throwing out random statistics with no idea whether or not they are even anywhere close to accurate. 1 in 5 congressmen are a racial or ethnic minority, and 1 in 5 is a woman. Nice use of made up statistics to back your argument.

Furthermore how do you think that lowering the amount of available seats helps minority groups in any way? You really haven't thought your argument through from any other point of view than you think that our representatives are over paid.

17. Lowering the amount of seats actually would give each member more of a voice. And yes i made the 95% up i assumed that was obvious and not taken serious, just saying theres not much diversity, its predominantly what i said it was.

Typical forums, anyone with a different view is idiotic. A sign of idiocy is not being able to debate without insulting

18. Lowering the amount of representatives damages the voice of the minority groups. Your suggestion would result in more old white men in Congress not less. That's the reason we have so many representatives in the first place. Throwing out random statistics to back your argument and then saying, "Well I didn't expect you to take it seriously", makes me take your entire argument less seriously because you clearly haven't done the research into these topics that you are so opinionated about. This isn't even a debate, you are just throwing out random "stats" and talking points with no way of backing any of your statements, or evidence to show that your suggestions would be in any way an improvement. You can get your feelings hurt that's fine with me.

19. Dude, it's hot outside. Congress can't work in that kind of heat.