Will the UK stay in the EU?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nathan_WINNING, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Lol you really and truly believe the Eu is democratic! Ask Greece about that! Ask Ireland ask all the countries that have suffered at the hands of the Eu! The main benefactor of the Eu is Germany!!

2. You could argue the EU is democratic, however it's also fundamentally NOT democratic, we cannot for example vote for Germany's MEP's etc. We can be overruled very easily and considering out position in the EU, will be outnumbered and outvoted as the EU integrates further.

Statements like "there must be consequences"

And "they have made the wrong choice"

When talking about the basic form of democracy (1 person 1 vote) is NOT the example of a democratic government, it is the action of a dictatorship.

3. Sorry,,lost me a bit there! So, we agree that the Eu is not democratic? Democracy 1 person 1 vote is not democratic? Mmm at the heart of the argument for or against a UK In the Eu is the basic fact that it is not democratic...others in the past have attempted a European superstate! And it dident work! We are all different! Language, customs lots of things are against a Eu superstate as we will see over the coming months

4. Not sure if I follow the EU being non democratic argument
    UK gets a vote, but it's not cuz uk representative voted that everyone in EU has to follow UK vote - every country gets a say
    Are you saying that's anti or pro democratic ?

5. The EU is not democratic, it's proportional representation from each member state. Being part of the EU removes sovereignty, I vote to have politicians in the UK make decisions, not have decisions forced on us by the EU.

6. You don't want what we have here in the US. Every Politician is a puppet with a hand up their butt

7. The quicker we leave the better! Just hope we get out before turkey gets in

8. I am not sure of this but I think that for a new country to be accepted in the EU, every country needs to agree with it, which is highly unlikely. Plus the Turks don't really want to join either. Also, it may be a democratic country but it has some serious human right issues - which is against EU rules. Also needs common history with other European countries and turkey's isn't the best.

9. Because the turks hold the key to immigration into the European countries they will be fast tracked in! I accept your point regarding the issues turkey has to prevent there joining but I think they will be swept under the carpet, once in they will hold all the trump cards! I sincerely hope Europe is better prepared to deal with the turkish tide than are in dealing with the last influx of immigrants

10. I don't think turkey joining is likely at all
    Why would EU countries agree to it, their gdp is crazy low.
    The only pro argument I found was that accepting a democratic Muslim country would be a symbol that EU isn't anti Muslim, just pro democratic so would potentially inspire other Muslim countries to be democratic - which is more of a nice thought than a reality tbh.
    It's likely not to happen. Although this year a lot of unlikely to happen things happened.

11. Turkey provided the stopper to the migrant crisis (for now) there are MILLIONS of migrants in turkey ATM.

If turkey decide they no longer want to help.. Those millions are going to end up in Europe, + a whole lot more.

IMO, turkey will be in the EU by 2030.

12. I agree that turkey will join the Eu but the time scale will be a lot less than 2030..more like 2020...if not sooner

13. So you don't like the " undemocratic" Eu but you've no issue with the unelected and partly hereditary House of Lords being able to block any laws from the House of Commons.

Every British citizen voted for members of the eu parliament based on the area they lived in. Your votes were proportional to allow a greater diversity of views and politics within the parliament. Oh and yes if you want to vote for a German MEP well you can by moving to Germany and voting in any eu election there that's part of the whole free movement thing that seems to confuse.

14. If you actually took the time to look, the House of Lords have very little power to do anything other than recommend alterations and give advice, in very few circumstances (and they must have very strong reason) can they actually block legislation.

15. For example blocking the governments benefit reforms bill earlier this year. But no they can't do anything.

16. The best you can do is 1 piece of legislation?

1 piece of legislation that was dubiously descriminatory in the first place?

A piece of legislation that went even further than the welfare reform act 2012 which the UN select committee has recommended be revised and withdrawn?

17. Regards the issue of free movement! We have seen time and time again that free movement just ruins local economies and infrastructures! Ben Elton said! S**t will expand to fill the space provided for it! Now I have no issue with controlled immigration, but this mass of economic migrants is to much! The UK alone will have to build 1 house every six minutes to accommodate all our residents! Just not possible!

18. Haha, I told you the regressive movements would be losing big in the next few years. Big time bro.

Happy Independence Day U.K.

19. I dunno where you got those numbers from but apparently the rate of immigration won't change even when we leave the EU. So we still need to deal with these people, but we will have less money to do so cuz we will leave....
    Was kinda hoping this thread wouldn't be bumped - American election & Rio are more interesting tbh
    Nothing is gonna occur in UK for 3 months

20. Yeah bro the UK regressives are really butthurt. I would want this thread to die as well. Big time butthurt.