brexit question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IX_THoR_XI, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ok - I get how uk leaving hurts the global economy and how it's a bad thing.

But isn't this a short term consequence?

Won't uk be better off leaving eu in the long run? It just seems like the eu is a money pit - too many nations who are in debt and unable to pay back the eu and the only reason it seems like eu hadn't collapsed already is cuz it's better carried by a handful of countries who have a robust economy. It just appears to me they eventually the eu will fold up and collapse - why go down with this sinking ship when it's better to get out b4 things go really bad.

2. Depends on how long you consider short term and if you're taking into consideration that short term effect can still have massive effect on the people

3. Don't forget that the Scottish were urged to stay in the UK, because the remainder of the UK was going to make it almost impossible for them to join as an independent country.

Also don't forget that the Irish will now have a real border cutting right across the island and there are already voices calling for an independent Northern Ireland.

I think JK Rowling is right. The UK will break up and the resentment of London vs the rest of England and Wales will have nasty consequences too. (Expect the London Financial centre to crumble over time)

4. Well there goes my 401k

5. Your 401k is perfectly fine still, the market always corrects itself. And it's especially okay, if not better if a majority of it was in US large cap.

6. Tbh, this will probably give short term negativity, for the next 5-10 years, and then as our economy will be able to adapt MUCH faster to changing situations our growth will far exceed any EU growth.

Scotland voted 62-38 to remain, I'm 90% sure the majority of scots would rather be in the uk than in the EU given the choice (which they will probably be given)

Also there's the question of if Scotland left the uk, would they be treated as a new sovereign nation? If so.. They would be required to join the Euro etc.

7. The EU funds a lot of art and culture stuff in UK which tbh I don't care about
    What I do care about is the millions the EU invests in UK science that is gonna be lost
    That and housing prices decreasing and pound value decreasing, yes it will recover a little in the long term but it won't return to what it used to be
    Overall, i just wish Cameron had done a better job at showing why the Brexit arguments were stupid

8. Yeah but 10.1% devaluation of the British Sterling to the US dollar... The next biggest drop was 4.1% during the Banking crisis of '08

9. Of course it will get back to how it was, it will just take a long time to do it.

Yes he didn't do a great job of it. The 'what's your plan for when we leave' question the remain side put to the leave side always got me.. They don't get to enact any plans so it's irrelavent.

It's not all doom and gloom people, give the markets chance to recover.

Falling house prices is not always a bad thing, neither is a falling sterling. There are pros and cons to both.

10. EU membership costs 0.37% of the total UK GDP.

The pound has plummeted to almost the same value as the dollar.

Nice job.

11. Falling house prices is more of a personal issue
    It's sad that fear over immigration has won and is more important than our economy
    UK economy is dependent on service industry and half of our trade is with EU, our steel industry isn't doing well for a reason
    Just looking at a map of poll results shows what kind of ppl were for in/out.
    I bet the Scots wish they could have another referendum
    Also wish that such a big decision wouldn't be taken when it was such a close result

12. Hmmmm.

U.K. Birth-deaths last year, 180k

Migration - 300k

England is the main destination for 95% of those migrants (probably) and has a population density of over 1k per 1kmsq.

FYI, purely in migrants, that's the population of Wales every 10 years.

Apparently only 12% of our companies trade with the EU, yet 100% must comply with rules.

Ofcourse there are good things about the EU. I suppose now the question is, will the EU survive?

13. Now we get back out fishing industry take back our oil and gas and steel and hundreds of other industry that have been stolen away from us.now we can trade who we want when we want.STICK THE EU RIGHT UP YER XXX

14. The good old British Empire nostalgia...

Well, like Farage just said, have fun re-engaging with the Commonwealth. Wonder if he meant to increase links with Pakistan.
    Hmm, and the promise to spend the money going to the EU for the NHS instead seems to have been a blatant lie.

I love seeing a country with a 5% unemployment rate complaining about immigration. Get real...

Sure, the economy will be fine in the long run be it in the UK or EU. Good luck to all those individual fates that will have to pay their tribute though, for some good old times nostalgia.

So, what are the bookmakers' bets on Scotland's next referendum date?

15. ^mentioned that lie in the other thread haha. Makes me wonder what other lies were spread for one sides personal preference.

16. Farage is great, he's one of my favourite comedians.
    Sometimes I wonder if he's really serious about what he's saying or is it some level of sarcasm/satire that I don't get. :lol:

17. Lol well uk has fudged it, soon as Scotland gets independence the better

18. Watch multinationals initially decide to make new investments on the mainland and then start moving their assets out of the UK...

19. When talking economics 'short run' doesn't mean a couple of months it could means 5-10 years while 'long run' could mean up to 50 years. Saying that most people who voted to leave the EU won't be around to see the full change they've caused or "white van man" who say immigrants take our jobs while they sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle. Just my opinion but why fix something that wasn't broken? We was doing well off in the EU but people have took the risk of not knowing what would happen if we left, not even Brexit members knows what would happen both sides are just doing it for the money so it won't affect the rich but will everyone else.

(Ps: it will be fun to see Boris Johnson as prime minister tho)