DISCUSSION: Children on Social Medias

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Choccy, Jun 10, 2016.

1. The last thing any responsible parent wants is the schools playing parent to our children. Or even worse the government telling us how to raise our kids. Why not educators playing parents? Hmmmm let's see..... I'd say all the teachers getting arrested for sexually assaulting their students might be the answer. And government officials that have been charged with various felonies are definitely not who I want delegating what standards are required for properly raising a child.

On the surface what you say sounds great, but you keep forgetting one important factor. The world doesn't work that way. You can't weed out what teacher is good and what teacher is bad. No one had any idea those teachers were assaulting children until they were arrested. So just giving certain people in a certain job the role of parent or acting parent as you suggest isn't the right decision. Same goes for those government officals writing what proper parenting skills should be taught by those teachers.

Also, seeing how overworked and under paid teachers already are, how will you address the compensation for this new job duty? What would you take out of the classroom to create time for this? How many extra hours would the school year be increased by? How would you determine if a teacher is fulfilling this new responsibility?

You see Nightwing this is where your idea goes from a wonderful thought to just not possible or realistic. What you want to happen has too many underlying issues to actually be implemented. Everyone wants every child in the world to have a safe wonderful upbringing, but unfortunately it doesn't work out that way. So you make sure you take care of yours.

Edited to change "least" to "last" in first sentence.

2. 1. The biggest opponents of social media are quiet often the most out of touch, exception being people who are against social media being a social replacement. Documenting your social life connecting with others you might not otherwise have connected with is fine. In the 21st century social presence and confidence are as key as anything else and yes there should be a moral requirement but there should be nuance in what you do not just slap dash parenting because you're too lazy or in most cases busy to be specific.

2. Withholding rights might be seen as pc but from personal experience it is dehumanising and some people might say it works some people might say it doesn't but the point is it is 50/50 and relying on the fact that a child has certain experiences, yes children should be pushed out of their comfort zone but it should be up to them so they actually get something from it by doing something under their own initiative rather than just bearing someone elses opinion and never going through the experience again, more so for kids with social issues.

Side note. Having the occassional banter and what not between parent and child for just a bit of fun is healthy it's only when people do it on grounds of principle or the child offers a valid reason that it becomes a problem.

3. I wish post had a like button cuz that was spot on

4. When do I state teachers should raise our children.
    I sad they should try to Instill values in our children.
    They do this daily. By being a calm influence educating children.
    By showing reason and debate.
    That they can aspire to greater things.
    By showing them the possibilities the world has to offer.
    All good teachers do this already. It's not an extra duty.
    Social studies at school already raises a child's awareness of social values.
    Children that do not have a calm reasoned environment, often find that in school.
    Not every child. They are all unique.
    But you seem quick to judge all teachers as the worst type.
    Yes their are some that frankly along with all criminals of that nature should be shot.
    Yet they are not the majority.
    The social services sectors operate under huge stresses and due to numbers fail to protect every child. But that's not for the want of the majority that work in their sector trying.

Nations and governments are built on ideas.
    Children are raised to have ideas.
    And either we as a society Instill the correct ones. Or we cast a generation aside.
    Looking out for just our own children as a society doesn't cut it.
    If that were the case home school every child and don't let them be influenced in any way by children who come from less desirable elements.
    Or try and make difference by supporting children and the schools and social services to do a better job.
    Looking the other way and saying its someone else's problem does nothing.

5. Idk about anyone else, but where I'm from the parent typically has control over the kids life until they move out of the house. Maybe just my community though.

6. Chocolate23, great discussion thread.

Jstud, please adopt me! Seriously, you sound like a great parent.

I haven't had the experience of being asked by my child to remove a pic from social media, as I only share pics directly with family members. But my daughter takes great delight in posting old high school pictures of me, lol.

I try to be considerate of my daughters feelings, which includes a self-conscious body image now that she is in her teenage years. I expect candid pics that she doesn't want shared now will be fine to share as she matures. I would not share a picture if it would upset her. It's not worth that to me as I care more about building our relationship, than I do about whether or not grandma gets to see her pic

7. Children in social media? More like

8. As a 15 year old myself, my friends and I don't particularly care when our parents post embarrassing photos or what-not. It's in the past, and it's fun to look at and recall the good times. But that's just me and my friends, this probably varies between each individual and what kind of environment they are surrounded by.

Being in an environment where you can and will be teased, harassed or even mocked for having embarrassing pictures posted by your parents or relatives does make a teen/youngster very uncomfortable. Or, maybe it could just be because the person doesn't like their photos being posted on social media, and yes - I know many people who dislike having their photos taken much less posted on social media.

9. The last thing any responsible parent wants is the schools playing parent to our children. Or even worse the government telling us how to raise our kids. Why not educators playing parents? Hmmmm let's see..... I'd say all the teachers getting arrested for sexually assaulting their students might be the answer. And government officials that have been charged with various felonies are definitely not who I want delegating what standards are required for properly raising a child.

On the surface what you say sounds great, but you keep forgetting one important factor. The world doesn't work that way. You can't weed out what teacher is good and what teacher is bad. No one had any idea those teachers were assaulting children until they were arrested. So just giving certain people in a certain job the role of parent or acting parent as you suggest isn't the right decision. Same goes for those government officals writing what proper parenting skills should be taught by those teachers.

Also, seeing how overworked and under paid teachers already are, how will you address the compensation for this new job duty? What would you take out of the classroom to create time for this? How many extra hours would the school year be increased by? How would you determine if a teacher is fulfilling this new responsibility?

You see Nightwing this is where your idea goes from a wonderful thought to just not possible or realistic. What you want to happen has too many underlying issues to actually be implemented. Everyone wants every child in the world to have a safe wonderful upbringing, but unfortunately it doesn't work out that way. So you make sure you take care of yours.

Edited to change "least" to "last" in first sentence.[/quote]

When do I state teachers should raise our children.
    I sad they should try to Instill values in our children.
    They do this daily. By being a calm influence educating children.
    By showing reason and debate.
    That they can aspire to greater things.
    By showing them the possibilities the world has to offer.
    All good teachers do this already. It's not an extra duty.
    Social studies at school already raises a child's awareness of social values.
    Children that do not have a calm reasoned environment, often find that in school.
    Not every child. They are all unique.
    But you seem quick to judge all teachers as the worst type.
    Yes their are some that frankly along with all criminals of that nature should be shot.
    Yet they are not the majority.
    The social services sectors operate under huge stresses and due to numbers fail to protect every child. But that's not for the want of the majority that work in their sector trying.

Nations and governments are built on ideas.
    Children are raised to have ideas.
    And either we as a society Instill the correct ones. Or we cast a generation aside.
    Looking out for just our own children as a society doesn't cut it.
    If that were the case home school every child and don't let them be influenced in any way by children who come from less desirable elements.
    Or try and make difference by supporting children and the schools and social services to do a better job.
    Looking the other way and saying its someone else's problem does nothing.[/quote]

I never said anything about all teachers being horrible or most. Now it is you who is jumping to conclusions. That is why I stated how would you make up for the extra workload. And in what you wrote previously it came across as asking out teachers to be parental type figures. You stated "compensate and instill" which means playing the roll of a parental figure. If that was a misunderstanding than so be it, but compensate means equal value in replacement, therefore being a parental figure. And instilling certain values is more than just being a teacher who cares for their student. These kids have deep rooted issues that someone who tells them "hey you did a good job on your quiz Suzie" isn't going to fix the issue. What usually does is when they become older making the conscious decision to not have their kids ever grow up like they did. Unfortunately that is a rare occurrence too.
    As far as watching out for your own, if everyone did that we'd be fine. I take it you don't have children of your own. You don't have the extra stress and responsibilities to truly understand how difficult it is just taking care of and raising your own children. You can't "fix" the problem you speak of. Yes you can help children in different ways, but you will never be able to fix this issue. What people should first concentrate on is properly raising their own kids. Once they have accomplished that (kids are grown out of the house) then they should see what they are capable of doing in order to help. Because sacrificing even the smallest amount of your own child's needs is how these things start. It's a slippery slope. So unfortunately the right way is to take care of your own first and foremost so you don't create that next wave of neglected children. Neglect very rarely starts with just one generation, it's a snowball of failures from past generations that create the environment that leads to child neglect.

Messed up the quote my bad.

10. Lol at the quote.

That's a lot of assumptions.
    All wrong.
    But certainly a lot of assumptions.

11. You don't need to go out of your way to help other peoples kids it's more about being considerate in your day to day interactions that alone goes a long way.