A-Bomb Survivors Want Obama to Meet, Apologize in Hiroshima

Discussion in 'Questions/Feedback' started by McDreamy, May 19, 2016.

1. By MARI YAMAGUCHI, ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO — May 19, 2016, 6:29 AM ET

"A group representing Japanese survivors of U.S. atomic bombings urged President Barack Obama to hear their stories and apologize when he visits Hiroshima.

Two leaders of the Tokyo-based nationwide group told a news conference in Tokyo on Thursday that many survivors still want an apology though they have long avoided an outright demand for one out of fear that it would be counterproductive."

What are the KaWmmunity thoughts on this?
    I personally believe we do NOT have to apologize.

2. Don't care

3. I like anime so I think japan is cool beans.

4. The bombing of Hiroshima, (first atomic bomb dropped) was as justified as any in wartime. It significantly shortened the war, and saved huge amounts of Allied lives. The Pacific phase of the war would have taken years longer if the atomic weapons had not been dropped, with the U.S island hopping and having the root out the Japanese, who were fiercely defiant and had no plans to surrender. The death projections of taking mainland Japan alone were in the hundreds of thousands. It was a smart end to a dark and violent phase of human history.

The firebombing of Tokyo killed more than the atomic bomb that hit Hiroshima.

Nagasaki however is a different question. After the first one hit that Japanese were pretty much in shock and would of surrendered given more time, however president Truman wanted to show the Soviets and Stalin their power and dropped a second one as a show of strength in one of the first moves of the Cold War.

There is nothing to apologize for. It was a strategic and quick end to a massively bloody war. I've never heard the Japanese apologize for Pearl Harbor, ending the United States period of isolationism.

5. How about them apologizing for Pearl Harbor

6. Did they ever apologize for getting us involved in the war? Cuz I'm pretty sure US was neutral until Pearl Harbor.. Js

7. Screw em. We don't apologize for dropping freedoms on other countries. Knowing Obama though, he'll probably kiss their asses and suck the buttholes.

8. Not only did dropping the bomb on Hiroshima save hundreds of thousands of USA soldier's lives, it saved millions of Japanese lives also. USA would have fire bombed every city in route to taking over the country, city by city. The Japanese was prepared for an invasion and was even arming citizens, they were planning on fighting to the last person.

9. Attacking a hospital base is against the jenovah convention. They still need to apologise for that war crime

10. It's actually called the Geneva Convention.

11. 100% agree. War isn't suppose to be fair. You have to pull every trick and attack you can to end it. It pisses me off that they feel they need an apology.

12. LOL Huge anime fan. Still believe we shouldn't apologise for ending a war.

13. someone please explain to me why dropping an atomic bomb on defenceless and innocent citizens isn't a war crime that america should apologise for

14. You mean atomic freedom?

15. They wouldn't surrender even though they were losing the war. Much more would of died if the US would of invaded Japanese mainland. Not to mention "innocent"? A lot of them would of committed suicide if the US had invaded. Just look at all those islands were the civilians jumped off cliffs.

16. "committee settled on two "psychological" objectives of the first atomic bombing: to scare the Japanese into unconditional surrender and to impress upon the world the power of the new weapon." Simple. There was a military installation aswell. Also exactly what everyone on this thread has stated that even the citizens would rather commit suicide than be taken over.

17. The hell does Obama have to apologize for?

I'm sorry but that was not Obamas fault and there's no reason he should be apologizing. Truman dropped the bombs and destroyed those cities.

Japan was warned MULTIPLE times that we were going to do this if they didn't stand down.

While I don't agree with the use of the atomic bomb, Japan was arrogant and didn't take our threats seriously.

I feel sorry for the people affected by the bombs, but this is in no way Obamas fault and there's no reason he should be sorry. That's up to America.

18. Why not? It wouldn't hurt anyone

19. When asked to apologise for the way Japan treated allied prisoners of war
    Their prime minister had the following to say.

"Future generations should not be obliged to apologise for wartime actions, says Abe in address expected to draw criticism from China and South Korea

Japan’s prime minister says new generations shouldn’t have to keep apologising for a war that took place before they were born"

As such according to his own words.
    Obama has nothing to apologise for.

It is total hypocrisy to ask for an apology for an act that ended a world war.
    Especially when they won't apologise for their own war crimes.

If Obama says anything he should remind Abe of his own words.

It's easy to sit back in a time of relative peace and demand apologies.
    But when the world is at war and millions of lives are at stake. Dropping two bombs to such a decisive affect is not something that warrants an apology.

Should he next apologise that the war was not extended. That mainland Japan was not invaded and millions of resistant civilians in Japan were not killed.

Political hypocrisy and stupidity at its finest.