running question - half marathon prepping

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IX_THoR_XI, Apr 10, 2016.

1. 2 questions

1) I notice spots appearing on my chest (quarter sized). Started appearing after my first 10 miler. I have a 6-7 spots.

For those of you who run long distances, Is this common? Do they go away eventually?

2) after I run a 12-13 miler, my foot is sore - dun notice any pain while running rather after. Not painful to point I can't walk on it - but I walk gingerly on it. My foot is ok in 1-2 days. This has been goin on for months. It gets exacerbated if I run 13 miles back to back weekends so I limit myself to running these distances every other weekend. I do run Monday's, Tuesday's and Thursday's, 4-6 miles on those days and i experience no issues.

Would this be a sign that I should avoid running marathons?

2. Hi, certified doctor here!

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT

You'll pass out and die because of [insert complex medical condition here].

Trust me I took a one hour online course.

3. 1. Yes I do have some of those - when Im sprinting for a bit
    2. In my very uneducated opinion, it means you should train more

4. can confirm, am internet

edit:also eat lota of bicarbondates

5. 1- yea it's a common thing it appears cause of the sweat and it's appears like some rash but they ware of eventually

2- during running your work out - uses the oxygen present in your body ( your legs )
    As you continue to run your body will believe it still can run ( till you completely hit the wall and can't move )

But once you stop running your body will go to recovery mode
    During this time your body will make your legs feel sore
    Yea you can walk on it run on it
    And it last a bout a few days

If you got a trainer or a couch
    They would ask you to take specific types of Bcaa recovery to make the soreness go away much faster

And just a tip
    If your on continuous training like your schedule you'll need to watch what you eat cause it can have bad effect instead of the good once . Sometimes supplements are not a bad thing in such cases .

Other then that hope you enjoy your marathon
    Good Luck amigo

6. i run ultra marathons and do back 2 back marathon and half marathon distances on sat/sun every weekend for training. Its tough on the body and i would recommend taking more amino acids/protein to help recovery. Your feet shouldnt hurt if you have proper fitting shoes - might be worth getting a gait check. My feet i have zero blisters even when running 100km per week....over time you get alot fitter and sweat less which i guess is the issue here.

7. I dun have problem with blisters and when I'm running even if my foot is sore - I dun feel it. I did see a foot doc and he isn't sure but he thinks I may have a mild case of fasciitis on the ball of my foot but he isn't sure - told me to come in again if it gets worse but since I alternate my long runs - hasn't gotten worse.

Also I have no issues when I'm running less than 10 miles. And I've never blisters. I do chafe but compression shorts help me with chafing.

I do drink a post run protein shake geared to help me recover

In terms of shoes I was recommended neutral shoes and typically I run them for about 500 miles b4 I retire them and I always get the runner's world editors choice. Usually run with Asics (mainly), brooks, mizuno and saucony.

I also stretch everyday and I foam roll and I use something called backnobber. Also I have compression sleeves for thighs and calves - they help relieve tightness I experience with hammies.

8. try On Running shoes - best shoes ive ever used...came across them running mountain marathon races in Switzerland. I run in the cloud surfer .

9. Sounds like the plague you're in trouble.

10. The internet confirmed this.

Another alternative solution to your sore feet issue - chop them off. No more sore feet

11. I ran 2 1/2 miles yesterday and it was terrible. Don't do it.

12. No more walking is the right term to chopping them off

The series of TWD
    Would be called "The crawling Dead"

13. I was a varsity wrestler in high school, and at the beginning of each season, when I'm out of shape and over weight by 15-20lbs we as a team would run three miles, practice and work out, then the next week it'd be four miles and gradually increase till we were running eight miles. As the distance increased I sweat more, and I noticed those same dots, it will go away don't worry about it!

As for your soreness, my best advice is to use supplements such as Glutamine or BCAA's. The BCAAs are very safe, they just rebuild the torn muscle fibers and make your healing process much faster after a long work out.

I hope this was some sort of help to you!

14. I'd recommend maybe buying more stability based running shoes, as you may require a bit more cushioning than you currently get. If the pain doesn't go, I'd say you should lay off the long runs, and slowly build back into them after a couple of weeks. Also, I've had problems with tying my shoes too tight, which caused pain in my foot after the run but not during, hope this helps:)

15. Why the hell are you asking a bunch of 12 year olds? Go on reddit or something, they have whole subreddits dedicated to track and stuff.

Smh at everyone who asks questions on this forum

16. If u read responses - tons of helpful responses that are from adults

17. Never thought I maybe tying my shoes too tight...

Will look into bcaa definitely

I've been running 21-27 miles a week for months now so I dun think it's about starting and building up endurance. If anything - might b I need to go into an offseason of rest. Most I ever layed off from running is a week. In the past year - I've taken off a total of 4-5 weeks off from running.

My shoes r cushioned and stability - I dun think that's the issue

18. But then you get sore stubs thats much worse.

19. BCAA's will have no net positive effect for an endurance athlete.

A small coffee pre run to help with lipid oxidation will be a reasonable choice.

20. Well bcaa is supposed to b for recovery no?

I'm not sure about coffee cuz it's a diuretic - dun want to have the need to pee while running