The Ship of Theseus - Edit: boat puns

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Seth, Apr 4, 2016.

1. [title=grey+aqua]The Ship of Theseus[/title]

So a few nights ago, laying in the comfort of my bed, I was browsing the YouTubes and found a video by one of the intellectuals known as Vsauce. This video was about paradox's and stuff and thought one of these would make a nice topic to discuss.

So let's get to it, why don't we?

Let's say, for the purpose of this thread, that you went out and bought a boat okay?

So you have this boat, and you took it out to sea and sailed and all that fun stuff. After some time, you would like to replace the hull, so you do.

Now once that's finished you take it out to sail again, and you would like to replace the sails, and so you do.

You go out to sea again, and you notice the deck and floor are all gross and decaying. So you get all the flooring replaced.

At this point, let's just say you've replaced all of the parts of your ship. There's no original parts or anything.

Here's the question:

Is it still the same ship?

I see two common responses; yes, it's still the same ship, because the owner just replaced the parts. The essence of the ship is still there, and the owner is still in possession of it. The sentiment is still there. I see this as the sentimental answer.

The other response I can see is no, because the ship isn't it's original ship. But, if you salvage all the old parts and reassemble them, is that the same ship instead? It's all the original parts, but it's a completely different boat. I see this as the analytical answer.

That being said, I would like to see what you noobs have to say :)

2. Re: The Ship of Theseus

10/10 i think it would be a new ship ur getting new parts for it so why would it not be new

3. Re: The Ship of Theseus

^So when someone would ask where the ship is you wouldn't point to the one floating, you'd reply that it's broken apart across the world?

4. Re: The Ship of Theseus

If you are in a car accident and have all your limbs replaced with prosthetics does that make you a different person or are you just a fixed up version of the original? Seeing as you remain part of the original person and your conciousness then you are still you. The moment every single part of you is replaced including your conciousness then no you aren't the same person.

The ship being an inanimate object has no conciousness therefore when all parts are replaced it's a completely different ship. If you somehow managed to fix all the damaged parts and reassemble them then yes I would argue that it's the same ship.

5. Re: The Ship of Theseus

Well, if I were to take this literally I would say that this isn’t. According to the story that was written, the original owner replaced every single original part. Therefore, having every original part replaced, it isn’t the original ship anymore. A better example of this would be probably be John Locke's scenario. He pondered whether the sock would still be the same after a patch was applied to the hole of his favorite sock, and if it would be the same sock, would it still be the same sock after a second patch was applied, and a third, etc., until all of the material of the original sock has been replaced with patches.

So in short, once all of the original material of something is replaced, it isn’t the original object anymore.

6. Re: The Ship of Theseus

But, what about the name of the ship? It may not have consciousness, but I would argue that the equivalent of consciousness to man is name to ship? Kind of sort of. If the name of the boat remains the same, which isn't some physical part of it rather than an emotional attachment, then I could argue it stays the same.

7. Re: The Ship of Theseus

I wouldn't say so. The orginal materials have been replaced therfore it isn't the same boat. The name stays the same due to the materials being replaced one by one.

8. Re: The Ship of Theseus

I sea.

9. Re: The Ship of Theseus

I think Setho's argument is sinking.

Which one do you think it is Scrappy?

10. Re: The Ship of Theseus

Whichever one floats your boat.

11. Re: The Ship of Theseus

A completely unfair comparison Kezzer but I appreciate your attempt ;)

If you had a brain transplant and you would effectively became a new person but you would still consider yourself as you at a basic level at least.

This would also be true in the ship's case. Yes there are new parts and replacement to make your ship work as well as can be. But the identity of the ship would remain entirely intact. It would still do everyone you ask of it and you would consider it yours like anything else.

So I would definitely say that the identity of the ship and the sentimentality that comes with it would keep it equal to the brand new princess yacht you originally bought ;)

12. Re: The Ship of Theseus

Are you shore?

13. Re: The Ship of Theseus

Lol Seth 

14. Re: The Ship of Theseus

Does anyone have allies for sail?

15. Re: The Ship of Theseus

I'm pretty shore that doesn't have anything to do with the topic. :D

16. Re: The Ship of Theseus

Mast you try and sink my ship?

17. Re: The Ship of Theseus

There was a time where I bought allies all the time, but that ship has sailed.

18. Re: The Ship of Theseus

Sometimes, I just like to go on cruises. I don't know why. Something about the ocean that gets me, Tom, in a good mood.

19. I hear submarines aren't doing to well, I hear it's a sinking business. :(

20. It's aboat time.