Improving the new player experience: more gold when hired

Discussion in 'Ideas + Feature Requests' started by Kapitalist, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Great thread. I've always thought about the money earned from being hired and others definitely have too. This wouldn't hurt the community. I can really only see it helping.

Support

2. I just the other day was thinking about how stupid it was to have a 1m cap that doesn't benefit anyone I'm all for proposal D, I just helped someone get into the game and after volleying them to 20B they had 400m gold

3. Tons of support

4. I want some input from the devs on this. They're supposed to be more active now and this seems like a good idea with little downside. Old system doesn't work well anymore.

5. In the "spirit of generosity" and the BC cs ceiling being raised 4 times (based on Chaos' current cs): I propose that devs should give a new player some "starting gold" equivalent to 20 forges and 4 guilds and max plunder. Volley should be optional, not the main source of starting gold.

starting gold should be 1-10Bil.

x4 soooo, 4-40Bil Gold
    is fair enough ;)

6. Support...now starting with a price of 10k is a joke having in mind how is the kawconomy...and the cap of 1M recibed for being hired too...a new player would need to be overpriced to get decent stats and build some efective kingdom...this idea would help them to grow in few weeks...good job for the thread

7. Support! 5% because your name matches the thread content, 95% because this is a fantastic idea and I love your research.

8. Well done thread, and I support, as there can definitely be an improvement for the ally market.

9. Support for proposal B and D.

10. I feel like being hired should benefit players at all levels. I don't like the idea of having a cap at any amount, especially 1 million. Support to OP

11. Excellent Idea, well thought out, well delivered. Complete support. Now devs let's build the new player base its the future. 

12. Very well written thread, support! :)

13. Because new players don't have enough with free ll....

14. Most new players are alts. Need to bring back resetting for % eq

15. Support. No comment, just support.

16. Thank you everybody for your lovely support and constructive input.

There are a few issues raised in particular that I want to pick up on.

Children are the future
    Rapid, early growth is a common feature of MMOs, whether from rapid levelling up from grinding, achievements, or tutorial rewards. The gold that Adam gets from volleying alone doesn't go very far, so while being lowland land complete is very nice Adam can't really benefit from this.

...Or not.
    An important point, sure. A lot of new accounts are alts of existing players. As such these new accounts can be quickly grown because the player knows what to do and has the resources to make rapid transfers possible. These proposals were intended to level the playing field a bit by giving genuine new players better access to start-up gold. And sure there are alternative ways to do that...

More starting gold
    Better Tutorial
    Actually there is a tutorial on Quests in the pc/flash version of KAW that is missing from the iOS/Android version. I agree the tutorial could benefit from some extra work, and have a critique in progress for a separate thread on that, but we have to recognise that this would require more development time than a simple tinkering of behind-the-scenes parameters, so is less likely to happen.

Another good point is that lllc is a package worth nearly 12b gold, an advantage that returning players with reset accounts do not get, and I didn't include this when describing Adam's starting assets. Adam might prefer to have that 12b as start-up gold, but again an alt would be able to exploit that more efficiently.

The lack of starting gold, currently only 30,000 gold, is again because that gold comes from finishing the tutorial. If the tutorial is not going to be revised (and I would not want such work to delay amending the hire cap of 1m gold) then that also means that the initial hiring price of 10,000 gold could not be changed either because of the relationship between starting gold and initial hiring price. The pc/flash tutorial also includes a tutorial on ally hiring...In other words if the intial hiring price was 1m gold then our new starter with only 30,000 gold could not hire an ally for a long time.

Other proposals to increase start-up gold could include a flat exchange-rate of nobility to gold, as the cost of those 15 nobility is the same for Chaos as it is for Adam. Neither gets particularly good value for money in today's kawconomy. Alternatively the Starter Package (which is already good value for money) could be expanded with starting gold, and/or a Horn or equivalent.

Overpricing/Inflationary
    Another excellent point, the ally market is very irrational at lower levels. Adam has starting stats of 400/200/150/150 and is priced at 10,000 gold. And yet established players are quite happy to hire players that same for 1b gold.

These proposals would actually help the ally market because of the rapid growth. Under proposal B Adam would have stats of 144,000/96,000/21,600/21,600 (283,200cs) and be at max plunder while only priced at 27.6b. I'd say that was very fairly priced, and Adam would also be at max plunder to fund his continuing growth.

Thank you for your support. This was touched on in Proposal A, as the percentage that goes to Adam can be increased from the roughly 0.4% at the moment to up to 3.4%. You could even argue that at a constant and uncapped 1.6% Betty and Charlie are making too much gold from ally trades!

The amounts of gold that can be generated from ally trades (for Betty and Charlie) are staggering: 2.5b for selling at 160b, and then doubling: 5b at 320b, 10b at 650b, 20b at 1.3T, 40b at 2.6T, etc.

Uncapped the amounts that Adam could be 1b at 248b, 2b at 541b, 4b at 1.07T...Under Proposal A that could be increased to as much as 8b at 248b, 17.6b at 541b, 35b at 1.07T...Is that inflationary or unbalancing, or a fairer distribution of wealth?

17. Support. Ekawnomy is getting tough these days.