The Earth compared to The Universe

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Scrapster, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Prove it. I like how YOU think you are smarter than the people against evolution and what they talk about. What did you get your degree in? All I've said is YOU HAVE NO EVIDENCE FOR LIFE OTHER THAN WHAT'S ON EARTH. Jesus you people are dense.

2. ^Mate, it's probability. There is a mathematical chance of life appearing, and although that chance is unknown (given that all our experience with exoplanets is reflected/filtered starlight), there are so many opportunities that it's a near-certainty.

We're not being dense. We're using logical reasoning. We readily admit we've seen no evidence, but the numbers tell us it's out there in the dark, regardless of it we've seen it (which we don't have the tech for currently).

*The evolution thing is a whole other argument.. but if we had to break it down, disbelievers probably are at the lower end of the IQ scale. Pretty much every scientist will agree with the theory, as there are mountains of evidence for it.

3. Just wanted to say that while evolution is accepted, there are still missing links in it. Not trying to disprove it or anything, i believe that evolution is relevant to our lives and world. But we don't completely understand it, i guess that might be my point

4. Why does everyone always argue creation vs evolution?

Does it ever occur to anyone else besides me that maybe they are both true? Maybe god dosnt just snap his fingers and things appear, like a genie? lol
    Maybe he sets in motion natural events that creates life then evolves it?

some religious texts say we were created in gods image, what does that mean? That we look alike? I doubt it.
    Maybe it means our minds, the most complex thing known to science, give us a fraction of his capabilities. We are already able to create and alter dna. So multiply our brains capacity buy a couple hundred and what would we be doing?

What if god is a being with a brain much more advanced than ours? So advanced it trancends age or death, and us being created in his likeness is us being given a fraction of that capability.

I know im getting out there but my point is why do creation and evolution have to be seperate? No reason a higher power couldnt of set in motion for us to evolve. Maybe god is science as we know it, the greatest scientist there ever will be. What we strive to be like with science

5. Probability of what? Right now, we are the only living things in this universe, AS TO OUR CURRENT KNOWLEDGE... Speak for yourself, not other people. There are plenty of scientists with an IQ that makes you look no smarter than a toddler who DON'T agree with Evolution.

6. Idk, id say there is a ton of evidence via photos and videos of UFOs that haven't been disproven. Our gov may very well hide the existence of aliens from us. Not a conspiracy theorist but who knows what they allow us to know? We already know they very heavily censor our media.

7. ^Don't listen to that.

Probability of life. There are known conditions. There are known ingredients. There are known processes. If they could've happened here, with each existing definitively in the wider universe, and with the amount of chances in that universe, it's safe to say it happened elsewhere.

I know Plato's cave was used for another argument about the reality of our perception, but it's lack of experience applies here. Just because we haven't seen something ourselves, does not mean it can't be inferred, or even concluded to be.

And no, there are not plenty. The proportion of peer reviews papers support it v denying it are something like 98% to 2%. They are a tiny group, who dwindle smaller with time.

8. Dont get me wrong i believe in god. I am firmly a creationalist. But i dont think that just bc I believe in god dosnt mean i autmotically have to not believe in other life or evolution. Of course we evolved from something. As far as other life who am i to say we are the only life god created? Who am i to pretend to know gods mind.

9. I too have had similar thoughts. I mean, even the timeline of events leading up to the creation of modern humans is pretty close to accurate in Genesis.

And people have to keep in mind that the Bible was written in a time when science wasn't understood that well. If you try to explain Thermodynamics to a kid in Africa who has never been to school, they probably won't understand a word you say. So if the Bible was originally written through spiritual and divine inspiration and intervention, it had to be written in a way that could be understood by the common people.

That is why i think people get the misunderstandings of how old the earth and universe are. Time was invented by people, and people only measured time in relatively small amounts. How do explain events that couldn't be measured by their "current" interpretation of time? To people back then, billions of years would have been impossible and too far-fetched, so days were used instead.

Humans have evolved and so has their understanding of science and the world around them. However, people all over the world (Theists and Atheists) won't allow for updated editions of religious texts. Ones that can account for the new scientific understandings of the world, or the new interpretations of human rights. After all, religions deal with a reconnecting of sorts (a majority deal with the soul).

10. But because this is not so much a religion post, i will stop on this one. Anyone interested in talking or debating my ideas, please bring it to the religion post in the forums

11. Get outta here with that preaching

12. Discussing evolution vs creation isnt preaching lol

13. i loved this thread. good job op.

14. Yes excellent thread 10/10

15. Thanks

16. Thank you

17. Lololololol

18. Gerroura here man you know wha I'm sayin *Moonface*.

19. I've warned you about using my moonface.

20. *moonface*