The Earth compared to The Universe

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Scrapster, Mar 26, 2016.

1. There are other organisms in the universe.

2. Catholicism says that if other life exists, we have to bring them to God and teach them about Jesus

3. Lol.

4. Oh? Surely they would know of God already, I mean it would be very egotistical as a race to assume that Jesus Christ came to our world, 2000 years ago, because only we can spread the word of God to other races.

That's a bit of a big leap of faith.

5. Well, religions aren't as focused with worlds beyond this world. They are more concerned about this world, this planet, and specifically us as people, and further, our very souls.

However, you did mention in a previous comment that for all we know, some aliens could have constructed the earth and left. Some might think (like in the movie Prometheus) that those creatures could be some divine beings.

Others (specifically Christians) might look at the wide expanse of the universe and all the different worlds in it, and then look at the biological ecosystem of our own bodies and think about how God created people in His own image.

Not sure if it means anything, but I think the Bible says God created the earth and everything on it in the same process as the Big Bang. That is, if you leave time out of the equation. But that's if I remember everything right, I'm not sure and could easily be wrong.

6. I don't think any religions have come up with a suitable way to explain all of this and apply it to their beliefs.[/quote]
    Catholicism says that if other life exists, we have to bring them to God and teach them about Jesus[/quote]
    Lol.[/quote]
    I know, i asked a priest about aliens and he said the church always said we havd to teach them about God. Dude, the church believed that the sun revolved around the earth and there wasnt much else in space

7. There are so many flaws in that, too many for me to elaborate on right now so I'll go with:

If religions are solely focused on this planet, what created the other planets?

8. Catholicism says that if other life exists, we have to bring them to God and teach them about Jesus[/quote]
    Lol.[/quote]
    I know, i asked a priest about aliens and he said the church always said we havd to teach them about God. Dude, the church believed that the sun revolved around the earth and there wasnt much else in space[/quote]

That was the church and not the religion, just clearing that up.

9. Ok wazz, the religion of Christianity / Catholicism, for the purposes of this is not separate entity from the "church".

We already know you're views on the difference between religion and the institutions that "guide"/control the modern day viewing of those religions and there's no need to go into it on this thread.

When I said "religions" angle on it I was speaking about the "institutions" not the religion (Catholicism and Christianity would not exist without them btw).

10. Ok. Well in response to that, i would say the institutions might say that God has created multiple worlds, but never let them meet each other.

I mean, this goes back to my comment on pg. 2 of why we need to know about other life.

11. Unfortunately, the institutions don't have anything, nothing at all that they could use to even try to back that statement up. When these institutions and their associated books were created, Going to other planets wasn't even thought of, let alone the possibility of other life forms.

I'm more of the view that any governments etc that came into contact with another life form would undoubtedly attempt to make it subservient to ourselves. As much as I would love the thought of a government not being driven by greed and control, it's just unrealistic.

12. I know what your saying about the institutions. As you said, other life wasn't even thought, so why put it in a religious text? I was just trying to offer a statement from a modern-day view. I mean, I know it's a bit out there, but it was worth a shot.

And I agree with your thoughts on the government trying to make other life subservient and how its full of greed. Unfortunately the majority of the global economy is based on greed (money).

13. Bruh.

14. It's amazing that people still tote the notion that other life is inevitable, yet we are the only life we have proof of... I'm not saying there isn't life out there, BUT, as of right now, the Earth is the only place that harbors life.

15. White man vs. Black man

16. Other life is inevitable, there is a 0% likely hood with all the other stars and planets out there that there is no form of life, wether they are sentient or not

17. Lmfao

18. 0% chance?? Says whooo?? Do you have ANY evidence for that claim??

19. My only problem with this statement is that the universe has so much that has yet to even be seen by human eyes. There's no definite answer as to what's in the void, but life on other planets (slim chance, I know) has to exist somewhere. If the universe is infinite, then by definition life should be infinite as well.

However finite the earth may be, the space that the universe occupies is larger than I could possibly fathom. Surely there's someone else in this big ol' bucket, right?

20. What do you mean the universe is infinite? It's not static, it's growing... there was a beginning...