questions about banff (in Canada) and the wave (in Utah)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IX_THoR_XI, Mar 13, 2016.

1. I'd like to hit these 2 landmarks and hike them

Anyone do either one or both of them?

For banff - I can't find much info in what trails are must do (the strenuous the better; I've found that 99% of the time the best trails are the very strenuous)
    - I'd like to know top 5 trails, level of difficulty and round trip mileage
    - number of days required to spend in the park to enjoy it

In terms of the Wave. I know that they only give out 20 permits a day
    - how difficult is it to get a permit
    - I know it's guided; because it's in Utah I figure super hot in the summer. How was it?

2. Re: questions about bamph and the wave (located in Utah)

Utah is not that hot in the summer.

3. Re: questions about bamph and the wave (located in Utah)

R u kidding me - I was in arches, Zion and Bryce national park

It was hot hot hot

4. Re: questions about bamph and the wave (located in Utah)

Try California or Nevada.

5. Re: questions about bamph and the wave (located in Utah)

I'm asking about baniff located in Canada and the wave in Utah

6. Re: questions about bamph and the wave (located in Utah)

Are you asking about Baniff in Alberta Canada

7. Re: questions about bamph and the wave (located in Utah)

Great idea

8. Re: questions about baniff (in Canada) and the wave (in Utah)

Corrected spelling - thx

9. Re: questions about baniff (in Canada) and the wave (in Utah)

It's banff , lake Louise you dimwit

10. Re: questions about baniff (in Canada) and the wave (in Utah)

Banff is absolutely breath taking!! There are great hiking trails, natural hot springs and an awesome hotel.

11. Re: questions about baniff (in Canada) and the wave (in Utah)

Sorry, Trump has closed the border until the wall is complete

12. Re: questions about bamph and the wave (located in Utah)

My cousins and grandparents live in California. To them 63 degrees F is cold.

Lol.

13. Banff:
    Johnston canyon is a pretty cool, fairly flat trail, depending of time of year you can see some frozen waterfalls (with climbers on them) a cool lake at the end.
    Columbia Icefields are cool. 90 min drive out of Banff, but you can climb around on receeding glaciers, take a cat ride to the top. Some scary crevasses in the glacier, a couple hundre foot drop...dont take kids.
    Banff Ice Caves are a moderate climb but some cool caves to explore at the end. I believe only one has a little bit of ice left anymore.
    Ha Ling Peak is in Canmore (30min east of Banff) moderate hike, takes most people between 2-4 hours to ascent, but will be worth every step. One of the coolest views you can get in the Rockies without breaking your own trail.

You can easily spend a week in the Banff area. A day or two exploring the town, a few days of adventures, need to chill at the hot springs for a half day. The time of year you go will partly dictate what you do.

14. I have been to Banff, Lake Louise (and Jasper) ages ago... something like 20 years ago.

Banff is an excellent starting point for hikes and mountainbiking if you're into that (did some myself over there).

A few questions first: do you want to stay on one place and do day hikes from there? Want to visit all Canadian Rockies National Parks to get the most out of the scenery?

A few places you probably want to have a look are Lake Louise (quite a few day hikes starting at that historic landmark), Moraine Lake, Peyto Lake.

More to the north, you'll pass the Icefields area (well, if you are into walking onto a glacier with a bunch of tourists...) and finally Jasper (a few nice day hikes over there too).

That's what I remember from back then, might have a look at my maps if you insist.

Utah... that's a slightly different terrain. Been to Arches (my favorite), Bryce, Zion,... but not the wave. I have friends who went there and it is hot, very hot. You need loads of water. But the photos were worth the hike.

15. How many hours did they spend in the wave?

I have hydration - I have 100L packs

Was getting permits difficult ?

16. blah blah blah blah

17. Banff. Sulfur mountain