Thoughts on Bernie Sanders statement?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TNT_Stripping_dat_ASS, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Seeing as many love to debate politics on a phone game (myself being one), I wanted to get some opinions on an answer Bernie Sanders gave to a question. If you did not watch the debate, I'll give you a brief overview so you can make an opinion without doing too much research.

The question was what racial blind spots do the candidates feel that they have ( may not be quoted 100% accurate there).

Bernie first talked about a man that he worked with that doesn't take cabs because they pass him (being black). Then he proceeded to state, and I quote, " When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be living in a ghetto. You don't know what it's like to be poor. You don't know what it's like to be hassled when you walk down the street, or you get dragged out of a car".

Now lets focus on the first two statements here. He said white people don't know what it's like to live in a ghetto, or be poor. Now I know democrats and republicans alike like to bash trump for some of the stuff he says, but in my opinion Bernie just took the cake for ignorance. How can he stand up there and lay down a definite line between races, and says one is poor and one is not?

Now, this post is not meant to be a race argument, or to point out stupid stuff other candidates say. This is strictly to hear others opinions on how he can stand up there and make such an ignorant statement.

Remember, as insulting as it is towards all the poor white people that have had to endure hard times, it is equally insulting to minorities, basically being told that they are the only ghetto ones.

2. All I can say is: I'm 37 and have never heard a politician, say anything Intellegent. EVER.

3. No support for you thread and him.

4. Yay another American "politician" saying something stupid.

I have an idea, you guys should elect someone who can't talk.

Draw some eyes on a potato (only a Maris Piper though)

5. i appreciate your input, slim shady.

6. I believe trump still has the cake of ignorance.

7. I'm sure he wasn't serious, after all Bernie is a chill guy.

8. Rio, so, you live in a country that is perfect?

Like some kinda paradise?

No corrupt politics?

Please enlighten me, so I can sneak in at night, and stay

9. Debatable, but not the point of the thread. I'm just wondering if anyone has a defense for this, or if Bernie fans are looking past this one.

10. Appalachia doesn't exist, you racist.

11. For those that don't get this, Appalachia is a large swath of land in the east spanding several states, known for being poverty-stricken.

12. Yep. We do cook some sweet moonshine tho.

And let's not forget the meth.

Lol just joking. I'm from IN.

Know some people from Kentucky though.

13. Debatable? One comment vs all trump has said since he began his bid.

But back on topic.

Honestly, I don't take Bernie as meaning that maliciously. He's just pointing out that a large majority of people don't know how people in gheetos live.

Poor wording/Trying to pander to the black vote at play here.

14. I think he generally was trying to state that being white gives people an,advantage all their life, so they don't even know the disadvantages. Also he's trying to get the black vote from killary

15. American privilege:

If Obama gets elected I'm leaving!

If Trump gets elected I'm leaving!

Refugees escaping war?
    We can't let them in!

16. I think Bernie is talking from the perspective of white privilege. Yes, he made a mistake in generalizing, but he's running on a "poor vs rich" campaign, so I always read his statements through that lens.

17. Lmao with a username involving stripping ass idk how anyone takes you seriously in a political talk :lol:

Not to mention Bernie is a white Jew what would he know about being black?

18. That was the point. People acting like they know systematic prejudice or what it is to be desperate should shut their mouths. Looks like it went over your head a bit.

19. Is this a better username? Anything to add on topic?

20. White people live in ghettos too though. As for pandering to race, what would happen if a candidate pandered to whites specifically? That's like if trump said "minorities don't know what it's like having to pay back college loans". Completely ignorant and inaccurate.