Invisible Forum Standards

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rikkimaru, Mar 4, 2016.

1. This will be a rather long thread so here's the TL;DR: there is no standard, if your post creates discussion it's a successful post

Now for the long part

There's many types of posting styles, from the forum vet such as AshesofEden, to the lowly forum noob, we all have our styles.

BB codes doesn't necessarily facilitate that your thread is better than another. Case in point Dillybar's question thread. Even if your post is one line there's a chance it could turn into a legendary thread.

I see five different types of posters in this forum.

The Noob: these are the new guys, who haven't quite grasped the concept of the RoC and need some direction, so rather than going all in on them help the noobs out, let them learn something.

The Casual: these are the guys who float around, have semi regular posts, comments and replies. Most of the times these are the "support/no support" guys, they're okay but you don't want to emulate this if you want to get noticed.

The Vets: these people are easily spotted, their threads always have discussion going on in them, and even have derailment happen in their threads often. AshesofEden and moose are examples of the vets, due to that every thread they make stays in active topics for days at a time.

The Trolls: yes I fit into this category, mostly we post to keep ourselves amused, we don't take much of the forum seriously. SkinnyMini could fit in this group as well as the vets group, as he posts well thought out and also posts general crap. The trolls aren't to be feared, we don't mean to scare, we're here for cheap laughs

The Wannabes: these guys are those people most communities hate, these are the guys who tell you how you should post, what your thread should look like, and generally nitpick everything.

Now as for these standards, they don't exist, no where in the RoC or the ToU does it say a thread requires BB codes, pictures, gifs, or anything other than text. So go forth little forum noobs, learn from others, create your own style, make each thread as thought out as you'd like.

Create content, ignore complete negativity, and for those non supporters, learn to give some constructive feedback, not just 2 words.

And for the trolls who will attempt me on this thread, you won't win. I have the cone of protection

2. True, but it also shows that even a low effort thread can become great

3. I prefer shorter threads over long ones. It's not because I dislike reading, it's because it shows you're able to form a discussion without the need of fancy words.

4. It's a good thread because of it's purpose. And he was able to convey the purpose of the thread in one line (commonly referred to as 'low effort') without additional gifs or being verbose.

Quality not quantity. A quality thread comes in all shapes and sized. Gifs or no gifs. Fancy colouring or black text. Bb codes or no bb codes. One sentence or 1000 sentences.

5. Her thread was necessary to the development of the community and didn't need any more than 1 line. A small word count and lack of bbcodes doesn't directly translate to low effort. You can put as many pretty sprinkles as you want on dog crap but it won't make it stink any less.

Btdubs this thread is stupid

6. Agree with OP: a thread doesn't need glitz and glam for it to be quality, hence why I loved Hazzys Hideout so much.

7. Shots fired. 

8. I generally used to hit people that used to make bad threads until they cried on forums. Then the idiots never grew, now they to small to hit

9. Agreed, Vanessa and Arkst. Sometimes forums seems to be more concerned with how their thread looks and presents rather than what it actually says.

10. Hit me baby, I'll like it.

11. Presentation is a big part though.
    If I made my clan thread with just normal writing and no pictures at all I don't think it'd be the same quality.

12. I find this thread to be highly offensive towards the bluetards

Grif for ModVkDevsammich