Finite Or Infinite:Discuss!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ProviingAPoint, Feb 25, 2016.

1. I've been thinking about a finite existence limited to perception for a while too. the question, "if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around does it make a sound?", question comes to mind & it only further expands my questioning like everything else lol... are there forms of perception we are unable to understand?...a sentient life percieves they exist and question why to find an answer, a dog percieves they are hungry and finds food, a tree percieves it is not getting enough light and adapts its growth pattern, does a rock percieve it is not at the densest mass and therefore percieve the effects of gravity in sum way? these are questions i hope can be answered one day but i won't hold my breath while waiting lol

2. Time is infinite

3. How do you really know, this is all information your senses have collected

If you have no sight, taste, smell, hearing or feeling there is no way those messages would have been delivered to you

4. There is no definite answer. Scientists have theorized a point where the atoms that make up everything will be spread so far apart that there will be no interaction. A single atomic collision would trigger, basically, an existential implosion, causing one of two things. Either a) the universe becomes a MASSIVE black hole or b) we revert back to the Big Bang.

So personally, I believe the universe does have a definite edge, that we just have yet to reach.

EDIT
    I am a devout Christian. However, I do think that it is foolish to reject scientific findings. I am not saying I agree with all scientific observations, but you can't ignore them.

My faith to my God is based on my own sense of logic. I don't see how something could come out of nothing.

5. the universe is already expanding faster than light, it always has. If you only look at the diameter, it increases with 2x 3e8m/s at least. This is possible because the space inside the universe is expanding, eg every 1km^3 increases with 1m^3/s. A lot of that and it goes faster than light. The thing about the speed of light is that it is the max speed to transmit information. Expanding does not transmit information.

6. I don't know if space is infinite but I do believe something so large doesn't have another living specious in it. That's what I want to know! What other kind of life is in space?

7. We are much to limited to be able to understand much at all about the universe. Even the light we can see "energy" is just a very tiny fraction of what energies are there. We cannot perceive what we just aren't able too. So in my opinion any and all theories about the universe are probably wrong. How could we possibly even begin to try to understand it when we're limited to perceptions like distance, coloration, temperature...ect. we perceive a very small about of what's out there.

Maybe space is infinite, maybe it's finite. Whatever the answers are we wouldn't be able to notice them even if they were right in front if us. Like showing a flash card to a blind man. Simply not equipped to to understand it.

8. The universe, if it was infinite it wouldnt be expanding. Seem pretty simple to me.

9. Life doesn't exist passed your own perception. Explains why nothing happens at work unless your there

10. I've read a book talking about God. Not in the sense of a person, but in the way of something is there. It has been prooven the future has an impact on the past (Experience with light). So basically, the future is somehow already determinated

Also, I do believe it's infinite. The expansion is going faster then the speed of light, so we will never see the true end... Maybe we will collapse with another universe... There is a lot of possibility. If we take String Theory, we can think bing-bang is a cycle that we will restart soon or close.

Finally, the Universe is full of surprise and maybe we are far from the true answer.

11. Or only expanding until it reach it's max, like a balloon

12. I believe the Universe is finite and that a multiverse exist.

I cannot prove the existance of a multiverse so I wont speculate wether it is infinite or not.

13. idk if this has been brought up but what about the existence of infinite other dimensions?

14. Why would that have anything to do with this topic? He can know and plan everything he doesn't have to set a limit like a human because he isn't human again u are saying their is limits to gods own understand. God knowing it not knowing controlling not controlling as nothing to do with this topic no matter if finite or infinite isnt even relevant to his plan.

15. The "universe" isn't expanding the matter in it is.

16. ^Err, no. Spacetime is expanding. That's why all the light from distant galaxies is red-shifted, they're all being expanded away.

17. i respect that you've looked into it and you have your own belief but who ever said sumthing came from nothing? no accepted science is claiming it started as nothing.

18. Well,yeah.

19. The Big Bang theory is all based on 1 of 2 things: A singularity, or the collision ff two other universes. My question to you is, how was the very first atom formed? Where did it come from?

20. I say finite... You reach a certain end after that is pure darkness