Apple VS FBI

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Moose2, Feb 18, 2016.

1. As a telco worker, the idea is entirely different from wiretapping laws.

The reason for encryption is to keep secure data out of prying eyes. Anyone who uses secure VPN or GRE tunneling on data lines understands that this now would create other backdoor holes in security.

Once a door is created, it can't be closed. It's always open to whomever has a key (legally or obtained illegally)

Once the door is created, it would be accessible from anywhere. A cellular device is always connected. Even when cellular data is "turned off".

2. Nah...basically would be something like this: Apple create a product ( a custom iOS version) and will sell it to a single customer (US government). Nobody can force nobody to sell a product to somebody. All Russia or China could do would be to ban Apple's sales. Basically this is the only thing that US government can do if Apple lose the trial and will still refuse to comply: to ban Apple's sales on US. But I fail to see how could US government would afford to do so.

3. Apple just needs to give them the passcode

4. If the U.S. can legally force Apple to create and hand over this security breaking software, it will create a legal precedent in every country that can claim jurisdiction over Apple, including Russia and China. This is especially true if Apple complies and creates this new software hack.

Apple's legal argument against producing this hack to every government that can cobble together a lawsuit requiring it, would be reduced to: "I know we have done this before, but now we just don't want to." Not much in the way of arguments.

So yes, Russia, China, Iran, and any other country that has, or is willing to allow Apple to do business in their country, could have as much access to this new security nullifying software as the U.S.

5. Kingcalm 2 years ago Russia tried to force Apple to keep iCloud backups of russians users on servers based on Russia. Russia was able only to treat with a sales ban. That's all. A decision of an US court have jurisdiction only on US territory and have no value as a precedent on an international court.

6. Many legal experts disagree, Vlad. Are you saying they're all wrong.

7. Cheese let's say that FSB had same request on russian court and Apple lose. A russian court decision would have value as a precedent on San Bernardino case?

8. Idk, bro. I'm not a legal expert. I defer to apple's lawyers and the human rights and civil I liberties lawyers on this. I assume they understand the law way better than I ever will.

9. I found this interesting, this was on the New York Times today:

"Apple has long maintained that it would hand over data to comply with a court order when it was technically able to do so. In a report covering the first six months of 2015, Apple said it had received nearly 11,000 requests from government agencies worldwide for information on roughly 60,000 devices, and it provided some data in roughly 7,100 instances."

The judges ruling on this will determine quite a bit. Will just have to wait and see what happens.

10. I think Apple should make a custom iOS with a master key that should be keeped by US president. How harmful can be? For sure this doesn't sound so scary as Trump+launching codes+red button.

11. Passcodes are private for a reason. That is also why they are legally different than a fingerprint. Passcode is owned, inside your head. No one can steal what is in your head.

They can however, take your fingers.

This is turning out exactly like 1984.

12. And how would you load this custom iOS onto an iphone, without the current passcode/fingerprint ID? Custom iOS is useless unless someone cracks the passcode to install the software.

13. It has to be on the phone as well otherwise it doesn't know if you got it right so if you know where it's stored digitally it can be stolen.

14. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't something leak stating that the NSA had records of all calls and text messages sense '09 but they attempted to deny it? Now in my opinion the FBI doesn't want to go that route because that'd be admitting that our government lied to us those few years ago. If Apple continues to hold their ground I imagine the FBI will indeed go the NSA route and we'll just stop hearing about the story on the news.

15. The government has been lying about this stuff for years. The Snowden revelations have proven this.

16. Defence #1.

I forgot my passwords.

17. Reply #1.

Obstruction of justice. Go to jail.

18. If this is allowed; its not far fetched that we could end up with sanctioned cameras in the home.

19. For obstruction of justice to apply, you would have to prove I haven't forgotten them. Either way, I would still have a choice, tell or don't tell.