Potential alternative

Discussion in 'Other KaW Discussion' started by Pie, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Support and bump 

2. Why the urge for a restriction at all in the first place? If people make bad threads, you not posting on them at all is better policing than a thread limit.

Instead everyone posts telling them it was bad so it just stays longer and longer.

3. A good option to add would be that those who were most liked threads or people who you have liked threads go to the top. That way you have threads that are quality/you would like, at the top of forums. Idk.

4. Stupid idea. Why would op even care?

5. I think a restriction is unfair and there are better ways of going about it.

This system is easily exploitable. For one, it's not necessarily about who writes good posts. Anyone with a clan and a bunch of friends can get them to like their posts just so they can keep making threads. Or people can actively discourage others to like people's posts just because they don't like them. Or because they have a different view to them. It becomes a popularity contest or a whoever has more friends contest. I think this would cause more problems than it'll solve.

I agree with Mango. If you see a crap thread that's just made to spam/flame/troll etc. don't post on it. Let it die and don't give the poster the attention they want. Alternatively, some people have good ideas and don't express themselves all that well. Instead of ridiculing and making fun of them; encourage them to respond more constructively and give tips on how they can better present their thoughts.

Restrictions doesn't just get rid of trolls (they'll pop up anyway) but it can get rid of good forumers too.

6. Or just farm people who make bad threads into quitting like I used to, when I was tiny and pathetic like most of the usual thread posters

7. Is this idiot for real? Seriously. You sound so stupid, it's actually sad 

8. Explain how it limits your individuality

9. It was meant in a more overall type way, that with restrictions you endup with people being more like oriented thus changing for better or worse in order to be more popular.

10. You don't have to change as a person. You just have to write better quality threads/posts

11. People will always slant views on others because of their opinions, so saying you will be judged on quality isn't strictly true. Once again I believe mods are doing the job well of monitoring crappy posts, and it should be left that way.

12. Shouldn't matter. If you don't like someone, you don't have to "like" them on forums. But there's no dislike button so it's not like it'd be negative publicity

13. How about just remove forums for a few months?
    The game has lasted six years, and the high quality of gameplay is the important part, right?
    When forums are returned, maybe players will respect it and police it with a new attitude.
    If you can't play nicely with your toys, momma is gonna take them away!

14. Sure. Take away the only way of the whole community discussing ideas and the game :lol: that'll go down well

15. Support

16. Your idea is that how many likes you get will then determine how many threads you can make. Just because there's no dislike button, doesn't stop 'negative publicity'. Neither does a like button mean peope will like it based on the quality of the post. It becomes a popularity contest. Who can get the most friends to like it? Who can get the most clannies to like it? And you just said it yourself 'If you don't like someone, you don't have to like them on forums'. But that shouldn't stop you if they've written a quality post, right?

It sounds good in theory. But liking based on quality won't always happen. In fact I reckon there'd only be a small amount of people liking it because they think it's a good post. This will undermine the whole system because being able to make threads doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your quality posts - just as forums stands now.

If you're a disliked forumer simply because your views are different to others, you won't be making many threads. I can see that people will hunt for likes and actively discourage others from liking certain people, whether they're a 'good' or 'bad' forumer.

17. Sure, if all your clannies have over 500 posts. But it's a case of personal opinion. If you're being persuaded to not like someone because someone you know doesn't like them, then you're weak minded and shouldn't be on forums anyway

18. So are we liking a post because it is of good quality? Or are we liking it because we like the person? What about if you disagree with the persons opinion but they've written a high quality answer?

I still don't think restrictions are the way to go. As I said in my earlier post, encourage people to respond constructively. Give people some tips on how to improve their threads. If you see a thread that's just made to spam/troll/flame etc. then let it die instead of responding and giving OP the attention he/she wants. If you see the same trolls doing nothing but, well, trolling point it out to a mod or report it to the devs. Restriction doesn't just get rid of trolls, but good forumers too.

19. You're not liking posts. You're liking forumers. I assumed I'd made that clear in the op but perhaps not

20. Sorry I read it as liking a post. My mistake. But the result is still the same. Do you like a forumer because you like them? Or do you like a forumer because they generally write good posts?

Your number of likes will be about how popular you are in the community.